1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Philosophy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by dysfunctnlretard, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Feb 3, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard [OP] Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Am I the only one interested in it here? Anybody major in it?

2. Feb 3, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
  3. Feb 3, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    lol ^^^^

4. Feb 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Very interested but never made anything of my interest.

5. Feb 3, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    dunkhi

dunkhi CSULB socal

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Sirois
    Southern California. Fountain Valley
    Vehicle:
    09 Ivan Stewart
    Toytec Coilover kit. Bilstein's 5100. Alcoa Wheels. General Tires. Magnaflow Cat-back. BLHM. Yellow fogs. 13TW5 jl sub. Stewart Decals.
    im taking a course in school right now. critical thinking is interesting

6. Oct 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    wtbthree

wtbthree Give 'er

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    SC'ed 2010 DC
    3" Revtek lift, 17" FJ rims, 285 BFG KO's, sunroof, TRD piping, Wickedflow muffler, Avid step rails TRD supercharger,
    Definitely not alone. I'm a Philosophy / History major. I decided to spend my time with it because I haven't come across another academic discipline that requires you to be as clear, careful, and fair with an argument than philosophy. The reading is difficult and arcane at times, it's not all good stuff, but I think there are a lot of important considerations you have to make in thinking and writing about philosophy.

It's been a little frustrating to hear people say "well what are you gonna do with that?!" ....but I think the best response is "what CAN'T I do with it?" It seems like most people that laugh at the idea of studying such an old tradition don't really know much about it, and I don't blame them - it's hard to classify. I mean, it's really one of the only disciplines in thought that constantly questions its own purpose and meaning - doesn't really know what it is (not the case with chemistry or political science, for example). Plus, in studying it, you're going to come across a lot of religious studies linguistics, ethics, political theory, the beginnings of psychology, gender issues, etc.

Anyway, props for putting this thread out there. It might be cool if we could get some discussions going , even if it's just about why we think philosophy is valuable in 2012, as it was in 330 bc.

Right now I'm working through Saint Augustin's Confessions but know Rousseau, Hume, Kant, Nietzsche, and Mill pretty well, and have yet to read into a lot of important people....

cheers.

Products Discussed in

To Top