1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help !

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by silverback, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Feb 26, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    silverback

silverback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.
    I didnt know where to go with this one.. I cashed out a 401k last year. They took out penalties taxes etc.. I get a letter yesterday from Charles Schwab saying they overpayed me and want 1600 dollars in 30 days. For one I dont have the money, second its been a year. I already did my taxes claimed the amount paid everything on the amount. I did nothing wrong. I had no way of knowing they overpayed me because Im not in the 401k business. That is up to them and their finance dept to get their shit straight right. How embarrasing for a multi-billion dollar company to come a year later after a measly 1600 bucks . what do you guys think.

2. Feb 26, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    CAMZTRD

CAMZTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    hampton, va
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    billy 5100's @ 2.5 w/ 1/4 spacers, toytec aal, LR UCA's, revotec headlights,revotec taillights, lamin-x fogs, color matched grille and rear bumper, undercover, bed-extender, black nerf bars, scan gaugeII , afe drop in, 50 series flowmaster, 6000k bi-xenon hids, more to come.......
    contact a lawyer, thats BS on there part.

3. Feb 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    lawyer up. keep us updated

4. Feb 26, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I would say lawyer, but I can only imagine it getting expensive.

5. Feb 26, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  6. Feb 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    P7269

P7269 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Chino Hills, CA
    Be very cautious. That sounds like someone may be traying to scam you. I have never heard of a financial institution paying anyone too much money. Its normally the other way around. Good luck! If its legit a lawyer is gonna cost more than they are asking you to pay back...Sucks!

7. Feb 26, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I hope you kept your original documents that showed the value of the 401(k) at the time you cashed it out, as well as the taxes and penalties paid on it. With that in hand, you should be able to either determine that they're correct and you do owe the money, or you owe nothing and there's been a mistake.

I wouldn't just 'lawyer up' without looking into my own documentation first. $1,600 isn't worth a lawyer w/o some footwork of your own.

8. Feb 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    usually getting a lawyer to send a certified letter of intent to defend the matter is free or dirt cheap. if they get a letter from a lawyer saying "we are prepared to fight this" they may decide 1600 isn't worth the trouble and just forget about it.

9. Feb 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Yeah... I'm just saying that it should be really easy to determine if this is a legit claim. If it is, then he can make the decision to get legal representation or pay the money. Also, if you get a lawyer to write a letter like that and they decide it is worth the fight, you'd better be prepared to pay the lawyer for his/her services.

10. Feb 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Hmm. Makes me wonder if this may be some type of a scam someone is trying to pass over on you. I'd proceed carefully and check all your records for accuracy.

11. Feb 26, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    silverback

silverback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.
    Well I doubt the bank can go back that far on the check that was cashed. I only have the amount and the taxes I paid on paper not sure if its called a 1098 form. I used it for my taxes this year. As far as all the 401k stuff I'll look but once I cashed out I determined that paperwork was not needed. The major problem here is The Feds have some the State has some and if they overpayed me I overpayed everyone too. I would have to amend my filing for 2009 and re-do everything. All this for something that has supposedly happened a year ago. Really isnt Charles Schwab a numbers company I mean damn if they got it wrong they really sucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top