1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need some help. changing struts.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mntbiker2008, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Feb 28, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 [OP] First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    Hey all, I am changing the struts on the santa fe. The struts are actually connected to the knuckles. Ive got the sway bars disconnected from the struts and everything. Have one of 2 bolts that connect strut to knuckle out but the bottoms are not budging. even hitting them with a hammer and punch doesnt get it. i will post a pic here in a few. What do you guys recommend? Ive also pulled the rotors and callipers off thinking maybe the weight from the brakes might be putting some strain on the bolt but thats not the case.

thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all that liquid on the strut is just pb blaster.

cv is under the towel

2. Feb 28, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Is that bolt threaded into the knuckle? For tough bolts, I have a 4' length of 2" cast pipe that slides down over my 24" 1/2 drive breaker bar. Not much that it won't move....or break. :notsure:

Edit - Just noticed the first pic was the other end of the bolt which is probably frozen to the aluminum knuckle. I'd go with ^^^^

Good luck!

3. Feb 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 [OP] First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    i was able to get it finally... i just took a heavy ass hammer and pounded the livin crap outta it. its only threaded at the end of the bolt. once i got the end inside the knuckle, i just took a big punch and pounded it in there. it was under a little bit of pressure from the spring for some reason.

Products Discussed in

To Top