1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crate training our puppy, got a question or two...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by EquinsuOcha, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha [OP] Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    We just started crate training our 2 month old puppy about a week ago and I just had a few questions to make sure we're going in the right direction.

Obviously, he hates it in there. He whines and cries and tries to dig his way out. We try to leave him in his crate for anywhere between 1 and 3 hours right now. When we come back home, we wait until he settles down then let him out and take him straight outside to pee/poop. The only part that is somewhat confusing is that his chest and front paws are wet when we let him out. His back paws and rear end are dry as a bone...if he's peeing in the crate, wouldn't his back paws be wet? And is this something that he'll grow out of the more often he's in his crate?

Also, anybody know where I can get a ticking alarm clock? My uncle suggested setting a ticking alarm clock in his crate to simulate the heartbeat of a littermate. Anybody have experience in that either?

Any other suggestions to help house/crate train our pup are always welcome!

2. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    For that ticking sound- Try a music store for a metronome. Clicks really rhythmically and can be set at different speeds.
    I think your dog might be nervous licking...He'll just sit there and lick himself non stop until you come home. I'd recommend taking and old blanket or sweater of yours and putting it in there with him.

What size is your dog and what size is the crate?? If you can block off part of the crate so it's a smaller space it tends to make them more comfortable.

3. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha [OP] Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    He's about 2 feet tall at his nose, and the crate is built for dogs up to 23". The crate isn't big enough for him to wander, but still large enough for him to lay down.

Part of me thinks that he's just so young and not used to being alone for long periods of time. Does that sound right?

4. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Sounds like separation anxiety..leave the radio or tv on low setting to have some background noise when you leave.
    Also make it extremely comfortable in the crate(i.e pillows, blankets) and one of the most important things is to cover the entire crate with a blanket and make it a cacoon for them.
    If you do all of this, overtime the puppy will get to used to the crate and consider it his home! It takes time to accumulate them to their new settings but it's worth it!
    And get in the habit of taking your puppy out before you leave and letting him/her pee so that way they'll be good to go! This helps out a lot!

and it sounds like the puppy is sweating and thats why he's wet...

5. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    I think if you give it time and don't give in to the whining it will all turn out well

6. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha [OP] Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    When you say to cover the crate, does that include the gate? I've thought about covering it, but I didn't know if that would scare him even more than just being left alone.

7. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha [OP] Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    That's what I'm hoping too. We try to ignore him when he whines in the crate and we wait until he settles down to let him out.

8. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah man...I think you guys are on the right track. You are doing the basics right. Just gotta tailor it to your pups personality....

9. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    regcab4x4

regcab4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4x4
    yup. also, when you leave or come home don't make a huge deal calling his name and talking to him... just open it up and take him directly outside. when you leave just put him in there and go.
    they adjust... sounds mean but you gotta do it or you'll have a giant uncontrollable beast haha.

10. Apr 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    another key to getting that pup very comfortable with his/her cage is to make sure you feed them in it every time. That way it has a positive view of the cage and under no circumstances do you ever use the cage a spot to put them for disciplinary reasons. The food trick is magic put the bowl in the back of the cage so they have to go all the way in. They may be hesitant or not go in and eat at all but puppies get hungry and will go eventually. I have always crate trained and my dogs just go in there to hang out it is there comfort zone. My now wife had a dog that never used a cage and trust me he is not the smartest dog and wouldnt go in the cage. Started feeding him in there and now he is fine and loves it. Good luck

11. Apr 24, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    not gonna be much help but my dog also whined and did what your talking about. took about 4-5 months id say for her to grow out of it. im sure its just separation anxiety. like the others said. put an old towel or something down so that your smell is there. maybe even try to get something the breeder/ kennel had in the crate with the pup.

12. Apr 25, 2010 at 4:39 AM
    Tadcaster

Tadcaster Dogs n Trucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Silver 10 is right on! Never, ever use the crate for time outs or punishment. Also make sure there is something interesting inside to play with. We use a Kong with a dab of peanut butter inside.

13. Apr 25, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Looks like your getting lots of replies with good info. I have crate trained several dogs. A couple of things I did to start.

• Initially, putting the dog in the crate for short periods of time. The key to this was put him/her in the crate till they quiet. It might take 5 minutes, it might take 20 minutes. Also, putting them in another room where you can see each other directly decreases both your and his anxiety.
    • Upon removal from the crate, lavish with praise "you want them to think this is a good thing".
    • An immediate snack or even meal time shortly after removal. This makes them think if I do this I get a great reward.
    • Always, end this when possible on a good note.

Eventually the goal is for this to be a safe place, with lots of fun and rewards for doing a good job. Even when he/she does something wrong if done right this can be the pets safety zone. "If I go in my crate I won't get in any more trouble".
    Remember, don't punish the dog for something and then immediately stick them in the crate. They will associate this behavior quickly.
    Short periods of time to start. Even when your home. Just before a meal.
    Might even consider taking the dog for rides in the truck (in the crate).

The wet front end is probably drool as the dog is very stressed. Following some of the items above will lessen/minimize this too.

Just my thoughts. Ken:wink:

14. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha [OP] Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Thanks for all the tips and replies. Everything y'all have said makes complete sense :thumbsup:

15. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    mxracer244

mxracer244 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Quad Cities
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCSB
    Many of the comments posted here are spot on. I also had a puppy that had the same problems you are experiencing. Here is what we were told to do, and it was successful. Sorry if some are repeats from earlier posts.

1. Make the cage/crate as small as possible. This makes them feel more comfortable because they don't feel "lost" in a huge place. Use boxes or whatever you need to take up the extra space. Make it the space the same size as the dog, no bigger.
    2. Place a noise maker nearby. A heartbeat is a good noise to use because it mimics their moms heartbeat.
    3. Never place food/water in the cage.
    4. Never use the cage/kennel for discipline issues. They should feel safe, not for being punished.
    5. During the day, put their toys in the cage and have them go in and get it and allow them to come out. Repeat this throughout the day to make it feel like a place to play.
    6. Leave them in the cage after they whimper. Don't rescue them after 5-10 minutes. They will be okay in there. If you rescue them too soon, they know that the whimpering will work, which defeats the purpose.
    7. Cover the crate with a towel.
    8. Put the crate in an area that is away from people. In other words, don't put the crate in the living room and then stay in the same room and watch TV.

Hope some of these ideas work! Post some pics!

16. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    I didn't read through all the threads but I did see people say when the pup whines ignore him. That is the best way. Dogs are smart and will figure out that if they whine and you come to their needs, you will have a whinny dog for the next 15 years. I always ignored my pup when she was in the crate. She eventually learns that no matter how much she whines I do not come to the crate. Also you have to make the crate fun for them. When you take the pup out to play, play around the crate. Put treats in there. Feed your dog in the crate. When he is not whining go to the crate and give him a treat and say "Good Boy". NEVER punish your dog in the crate or when he does something bad put him in the crate. Because he is young do not expect to keep him in there for long hours. After a while you will be able to take your pup wheeling like I do...cause she loves the crate. Good Luck

This is how Dina rolls
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    I think you need the dog whisperer. Lol. Sounds like you got alot of good feedback. My dog hated the crate. When he was a puppy, I would leave the crate door open when I was home, and the little shit went in there to nap.

Zeus.jpg

18. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Dogs are Den animals so they find a "den" like place to rest...they feel more secure that way. You always find your dog napping in the corner, but rarely in the middle of an open space.

19. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    If he likes to retrieve, throw his toy in there and he will go to get the toy and learn the crate isn't a bad place.

Ditto on feeding the pup in there. Ollie used to hate hers, but after "having" to eat in there, she quickly got used to it and started spending alot of her time in there on her own.

As for the blankets/tshirts DO NOT put them in there if your pup chews on them. If he doesn't then it's ok. Make sure he has "safe" toys to play with. He will quickly learn that he can chew on his toys or sleep.

Wait to take him out until he is quiet.

As others have said, put him in the cage and walk away. Just tell him "kennel" or whatever you want to, put him in, close the door and walk away. My second pup was spoiled - she'd get a cookie whenever I'd put her in there. (got in the habit a long time ago with my other dog and can't only give one a cookie :eek: )

I never covered the crate. Don't know what the purpose is, since mine were only put in there at night and when I went out.

Don't leave him in there so long that he'll have to relieve himself (always have him go before being put away and as soon as being let out) a 2 mo old pup should be able to "hold it" about 3 hours.

Leave a radio on - sounds like he has separation anxiety. Wal mart has wind up alarm clocks.

Don't give in to the whining.

Sounds like you are headed the right direction. Best of luck to you

20. Apr 25, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Don't feed or water your pup in the crate. This includes flip chips as they can cause choking problems.
    Also, if you cover make sure the front has sufficient air. Dogs put off their share of heat and you don't want to deal with a dog with overheating issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top