Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

My 1998 Toyota Corolla

Old 02-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #21
Small and Tall
tacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
tacobell007's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacobell007
So my clutch decided to crap out on me. It was so bad that normal driving smelled like burning clutch. As you can see in the picture of the flywheel that it has heat marks on it. This was all cleaned up before it was put back on. All I have to say is this has been the biggest pain in the ass for everything I've done to cars before.

Taking everything apart-

New clutch assembly-

Flywheel before getting cleaned-

Old clutch and pressure plate-

I am pretty sure it is the stock clutch and throw out bearing, because they were made in Japan. If this is true then the clutch had roughly 156,000 on it. I knew when I bought the car that the throw out bearing needed to be replaced, just did not think the clutch was that bad.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #22
Small and Tall
tacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Alright, my dad and I finished putting everything back last night at about 11:15 last night. This has taken what seems like forever, but saving some money on labor was probably worth it. It took us roughly 21 hours to complete. Using 2 jacks, 2 jack stands, air tools (impact, ratchets, grinder) and hand tools (screw drivers, ratchets, wrenches, breaker bars, and pry bars). It took longer because we did not have a socket to take out the nuts that hold the C/V axles into place, and with the car being 13 years old, a lot of bolts are rusted or corroded into place. I have 2 more pics, 1 being the cleaned flywheel and the other after we got the transmission back into place.

Flywheel-

Transmission back into place-
Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #23
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i've done this on my brother's 2000 corolla. it's not a fun job, but it is worthwhile...
Old 02-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #24
Small and Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
i've done this on my brother's 2000 corolla. it's not a fun job, but it is worthwhile...
No it's not fun at all. At least I have a good clutch and new gear oil in the transmission. I think it is worth it too
Old 02-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #25
armstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shedarmstrsm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aviator...Four Fans Of Freedom
Name: Sean
armstrsm's Tacoma Gallery
Ah i miss the old Corolla i grew up on, a 98' Demo vehicle. My mom worked in the dealer body shop as an insurance adjuster. She got it for a sweet deal, I hit a deer with it back in 2000 and paid for all the repairs myself. Damn deer got up and ran away! SOB. My sister wrecked it in 2006. Been thinking about buying a corolla once the Taco's paid off, as a daily driver.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #26
Small and Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrsm View Post
Ah i miss the old Corolla i grew up on, a 98' Demo vehicle. My mom worked in the dealer body shop as an insurance adjuster. She got it for a sweet deal, I hit a deer with it back in 2000 and paid for all the repairs myself. Damn deer got up and ran away! SOB. My sister wrecked it in 2006. Been thinking about buying a corolla once the Taco's paid off, as a daily driver.
I definitely like mine. I got pretty good gas mileage before my new clutch, 22-26. Hopefully that will improve. I try not to do to much that will get me in trouble cause I've put so many hours into the car that I would be really pissed if it got totaled. I would say go for it. Check craigslist for a used one.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #28
Small and Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmarquis View Post
Sweet! I love "bringing cars back to life threads."
It has been a long process. I think I have around 45 labor hours into the car between the stereo, rust repair, and the clutch. I'm taking it into the shop on monday to have my exhaust fixed cause I had a small leak, that once I hit a small pot hole, turned into a roaring leak We shall see how that goes
Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #29
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
It is nice to see Corollas getting some love.

I have one as a daily driver, as well... She's a 2009 XRS with 203,000 miles though. Heh.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #30
Small and Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmie View Post
It is nice to see Corollas getting some love.

I have one as a daily driver, as well... She's a 2009 XRS with 203,000 miles though. Heh.
Thank you. I like driving it for the most part even though it seems we fix one thing then something else needs to be fixed I hope to have the car until after I graduate college. Jeez 203,000 on an '09?! thats pretty crazy. Hopefully mine is that reliable.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #31
Small and Tall

I put my capacitor in about a week and a half ago. I really like it. No more dimming lights and the bass seems to sound a little better. I also realized i forgot a picture of my new radio so I put that in, even though I got it for christmas.

Radio-

Capacitor-
Old 03-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #32
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

How in the...
Old 03-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #34
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
How in the...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobell007 View Post
Yea seriously right?
I drive a lot, yes. Mostly trips back home to Wisconsin. Also random weekend trips. She currently has almost 205,000 miles...in about three years. The mileage would be higher if she hadn't sat in the garage for a few months last year.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #35
Small and Tall

Quote:
I drive a lot, yes. Mostly trips back home to Wisconsin. Also random weekend trips. She currently has almost 205,000 miles...in about three years. The mileage would be higher if she hadn't sat in the garage for a few months last year.
makes sense. still insane to see that kind of mileage for a 3 year old vehicle
Old 03-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #36
Deltabox's Better Half

himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, they are great little cars though... You will get plenty of use out of yours.

Old photo but she doesn't look much different:
Old 03-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #38
Deltabox's Better Half

himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Yours will probably last longer than mine...
Old 03-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #39
That Guy
CaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CaptainFun's Tacoma Gallery
Very impressive OP. Well done!

Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #40
Small and Tall

Quote:
Yours will probably last longer than mine...
Thanks! I hope it lasts me until I can get a legitimate job. I has been good to me so far for just driving to school, the hockey rink, friend's houses, and the lacrosse field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFun View Post
Very impressive OP. Well done!

Thank you I try to take care of it. If anything happened to it I would be pretty pissed because of all the time I have spent working on it.