1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 1998 Toyota Corolla

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by tacobell007, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Nov 11, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 [OP] Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    Hey guys, I though I would make a build of my 1998 Toyota Corolla. I'm just keeping it simple; stereo system, fix the rust, drop in air filter, change the serpentine belt, and some other minor things. Right now I am waiting for the rust neutralizer to cure so I figured it would be a good time to make the thread.

The day I picked it up, along with a 1993 tercel (bought cheap to fix and sell). Towed both cars home with the Tacoma without a problem (not at the same time though).
    [​IMG]

Rust Areas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After about 3 hours with a wire wheel on a half inch air die grinder
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any areas seen with rust and the areas that were hit with the wire wheel received a good coating of rust neutralizer. By the way this is my first time ever doing body work like this. Will continue later with more pictures

2. Nov 23, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    *UPDATE*
    Finished the fiberglass work 3 days ago. Took me a little while to learn the easiest way to put it on. Now I am onto body filler. Here are some pics of it after fiberglass and sanding. This has been a learning experience. I want to finish the body work by wednesday night (Nov. 24). I hope that after I get the body filler on and sanded that I will get some more pictures up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nov 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Some more pictures-
    Finished putting on bondo, needed to finish sanding.
    [​IMG]

Primer on, some areas needed to be sanded more. Yes I know the garage floor is a mess.
    [​IMG]

4. Nov 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Looking good so far!

5. Nov 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Thank you!

6. Nov 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Geez that seems like a lot of rust! Depending on what you paid for that car, it might have been worth shipping a rust free one from California! :D We are so sheltered over here!

7. Nov 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    That would be nice, but I got it for less than $2,000:D I think shipping would be a lot though :eek:

8. Dec 3, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    I have finished the paint on the rust repair. Just need to get some pics of it. I found some pics of some of my stereo stuff. My dad gave me his old JVC head unit and JVC 12 disc CD changer (since my iTrip sounded like crap) until I get a new head unit. Also, my 12 inch kicker comp in a ported box. I do not have a picture of it in my car, yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dec 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Alright I finally got around to taking more pictures.
    Painted area. about 8 coats of paint... kind of a long story. Looks good from a distance, up close it is kind of noticeable that it is not perfectly matched.
    [​IMG]

My sub in the trunk of my car. I still have enough room to fit my hockey bag.
    [​IMG]

Added another dash pocket in place of the factory CD player. My dad has a lot of them laying around from when he was a mechanic.
    [​IMG]

My new door handle because I broke the stock one (it was probably 12 to 13 years old).
    [​IMG]

10. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    As a fellow owner of a high-mileage Corolla, this thread makes me :)

They just keep going...and going...and going...

11. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Yes they do :) mine has 154,000 on it. How many miles on yours? My friend's dad's '94 has about 300,000 on it.

12. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    2003, 175,xxx on it right now.

[​IMG]

13. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    sweet man. so your corolla is your daily driver?

14. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Yeah. Corolla is DD, Taco is for bad weather, goofing around, or haulin' the heavy stuff. Little silver shit gets WAAAAAAAY better mileage, cheaper tires, cheaper OCs, etc. Drivin' the truck just to get 'round town and back don't make no kinna sense!

15. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    haha exactly! i wanted a truck or an SUV (toyota pickup or 4runner) but they were expensive and gas would be pretty expensive for driving to school and the rink. I have a manual tranny in my corolla so i get even better gas mileage.

16. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
  17. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

Just take good care of it, and when you're workin' later in life and makin' bank, getcha a nice toy on the side. Pretty much the plan I went with. I fully expect to get 300,000 miles out of both of these vehicles - my folks bought the Corolla new and maintained it properly until I bought it off them. I bought the truck new. I do my own maintenance on both vehicles. The TLC is, I'm convinced, a big contributor to the DD running like a sewing machine at 175k and counting.

18. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    I try to and will try to continue to take care of it. There are somethings I have to finish up, but other than that its good and solid. Im still not really used to being able to move the steering wheel so easily since my dad has a taco and my mom has a Rav4 (bigger tires and weight difference).

19. Dec 18, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

You'll learn to love it. After owning both for a while now I much prefer smaller, nimbler vehicles in traffic. Better avoidance and shorter stopping distances help keep you out of trouble with the morons...and my God are they out there...

20. Dec 18, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Oh yea they definitely are out there. At least I do not really have to worry about them at 2:30 in the afternoon

Products Discussed in

To Top