Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

dhurley's '81 SR5

Old 01-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
dhurley's '81 SR5

Here are some pics of the 1981 SR5 long bed I picked up a few days ago. It's a little rough in places but drives pretty good (I've had it on the highway doing 65mph twice now). All the gauges work & it's got a new stereo. I picked up a pair of the red bed marker lights @ U Pull and Pay but couldn't find a passenger headlight/parking light trim ( I did find a new one on the web for $17). The tires are 31x10.50 and not in the best shape. New ones will have to wait until we get the Outback sold.
Attached Thumbnails
dhurley's '81 SR5-02_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-06_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-09_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-10_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-11_1.jpg  

dhurley's '81 SR5-13.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-15_1.jpg  
Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Boomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boomtacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice. Love the first gens. Get you some gears/lockers and tires and wheel it
Old 01-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice I got one of those to...Very fun to drive I get stared at all the time.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Put in new plugs, wires, air filter, cap & rotor. Plus picked up this tool box. Now I just have to find a new lock for it. Hazard switch was broke so I went to the junkyard and got a new combination switch.
Attached Thumbnails
dhurley's '81 SR5-tool-box-1_1.jpg  
Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #5

dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Jim's Used Toyota Truck Parts (Yoda Jim's) in Denver is a great place to look for hard to find parts. I got the rear red marker lights from him (these are off a FJ60) & they are better than the original ones (plastic housing vs. dry rotted rubber). Also I've been able to get the steering column covers, a front fender ($25), a front bumper & push bar/winch tray ($100 for the pair).
Attached Thumbnails
dhurley's '81 SR5-100_1585_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-0531011932_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-100_1638_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-100_1640_1.jpg  
Old 06-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #7

dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
I've started doing the body work to get the truck ready for paint. Above the marker light there was some paint cracking. That whole bare area was the bondo for a dent that was 2-3" long that only took about 2 minutes to pound out. Where the dent was that stuff was about 1/4" thick!
Attached Thumbnails
dhurley's '81 SR5-0528011325_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-0530011250_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-0530011412_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-0530011452_1.jpg  
Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #8

dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Get it out on the trail with us!
I'd love to! But right now I drive 5 days a week to Boulder, so the weekend is my only time to work on the truck.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #10
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good I love the push bar! Nice Job Doug & really like watching the progress.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhurley View Post
Jim's Used Toyota Truck Parts (Yoda Jim's) in Denver is a great place to look for hard to find parts. I got the rear red marker lights from him (these are off a FJ60) & they are better than the original ones (plastic housing vs. dry rotted rubber). Also I've been able to get the steering column covers, a front fender ($25), a front bumper & push bar/winch tray ($100 for the pair).
Good to know! I live down in Pueblo and I just traded my buddy for his '82. If ya need help wrenching on it or want to hit some trail let me know.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #12

dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
Looking good I love the push bar! Nice Job Doug & really like watching the progress.
Thanks, Judy! It's been a fun project, except for the 90 degree days. About the only thing that's still blue on the outside is the tailgate & inside the bed (which I'm planning on doing a roll on bedliner). Replaced the steering stabilizer, the old one (possible original) you could open/close with your finger tips.
Attached Thumbnails
dhurley's '81 SR5-0626011946_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-0626011947_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-0617011817_1.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-0617011900_1.jpg  
Old 09-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwatertaco View Post
Nice I got one of those to...Very fun to drive I get stared at all the time.

Thats NUTS
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Sweet truck, what did you give for it, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #15

dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Another year gone by

Changed the front/rear diff, trans & transfer case oils, picked up a power steering system for $250 complete off an '83 from Yota Jim's in Denver(bolted right on), changed the shocks (Pro Comp 9000's), found some 30x9.5 tires to replace the worn out 31's, front & rear diff breather relocates, KC Daylighters, K&N air filter, Bad Boy WOLO air horn, new 6x9 speakers behind the seats.
Attached Thumbnails
dhurley's '81 SR5-img_0001a.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-0317021832a.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-img_0005a.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-0528022134a.jpg   dhurley's '81 SR5-0525021857.jpg