1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

n0rth's 1972 FJ40 build/rebuild thread

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by n0rth, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mar 27, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    n0rth

n0rth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab SR5, 4wd, 2.7L URD S/C, 4:88's ARB lockers, 36x9.8r16 Radial TSL
    This is my 1972 FJ40, I purchased this FJ in September 1998 it had 83,000 original miles and I am the third owner of it. The second owner was a friend who purchased it with plans for it but had it for less than a year before selling it to me. It had the original interior, F motor and 3 speed transmission on 31x10.5 R15 mud terrains with the stock wheels. The F motors are notorious for oiling and valve issues and this one was no different it was having valve issues when I picked it up. So I had the top end rebuilt and added a set of Con-Fer shackles and Pro Comp Shocks which provided about an 1.5" of lift. At this point I was pretty happy with the truck but it wasn't quite what I wanted so I ordered a set of 255/85R15 Buckshot Mudders to run on the stock rims it had also developed some exhaust leaks so I added a Man-a-fre header and new exhaust to it. Next was a 32/36 Weber Carb and getting rid of the emissions and smog stuff which were dry rotted and causing more problems than not. At this point the FJ was great to drive and even more fun to wheel. We had also built a brushguard with a M-8000 Warn Winch mounted to it and 6 point roll cage. Sorry I don't have a lot of photos of this rig in its early stages but here are a few shots of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So then we went back to work on the suspension, steering and gears. We added a ARB locker in the rear and 4.56 gears for both diffs, a 4" OME lift, Advance Adapters shackle reversal kit and Saginaw steering conversion I chose not to add power assist and definitely regret it now so that will be rectified in future stages of the build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point the truck was doing really well the above shot is a 1985 FJ60 that I purchased in 1999 and sold to one of my best friends can't exactly remember what year that photo is from I believe January of 2001. He had gone wheeling by himself and slid off the fire road he was on I went out cut some trees and brush then pulled/winched him out. A Forest Service LEO was waiting for us when we got back to the pavement, turns out the road was closed and my buddy was ticketed I recieved only a written warning since I was only out there helping him get unstuck.

During this time I picked up a 1985 4runner 22RE SR5 with SFA as a daily driver I had some plans for it, then my girlfriend at the the time rolled it. So I was back to driving my FJ40 again daily no problem I loved driving that thing until the oiling/valve issues reared their ugly heads again and I put a rod through the side of my motor.....The FJ 40 sat for months while I tried to locate a motor and come up with a plan V8? Toyota? hell I even started looking at a 12 valve cummins to put in it but nothing seemed to work out. Finally we picked up a 1984 FJ 60 that a lady I worked with at a ski shop had bought new 1984 and never considered selling until her husband went out one morning to warm it up and did not set the parking brake and it rolled down a hill and destroyed the entire drivers side but it still ran good and was complete so I finally had a donor vehicle that came with a 2F inline six, 4 speed transmission, Disk brakes and better birfields in the axles and all for 500$. I was stoked and things would swap right over and still be Toyota.

Again I don't have any pics of the actual swap but here are some after it was complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had to use the wheels from the FJ 60 as the stock FJ 40 wheels would not fit over the front disc brakes, I was a little pissed as I had found Toyota hub caps to fit the stock wheels. The hub caps ended up on my buddies white cruiser that are in the photos with mine. The truck was performing flawlessly with the swap complete.

[​IMG]

In 2003 I moved to northern New Mexico for work, the wheeling was great in the Taos area but my 255/85/15's were about done. This is the last shot I have of the FJ on 33's..... and it is stuck as fuck

I decided it was time to get new tires I picked up a set of 33x12.5r15's and they looked funny to me the shop also said my rims were about shot and they did not think they would stay balanced. So at this point I sold the 33's and threw away the old wheels. I ended up going with new 15x8 rockcrawler wheels from Desert Rat and 35x12.5 BFG KM's. We had to do a little trimming but it was totally worth it. The stock spare tire carrier was on its last leg so we built a new rear bumper with swing out and spot for a high lift as well as new tail lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 2005 I took a job in Alaska and the Landcruiser went into storage at my Moms house in southern NM. The above pics are from a time when I considered selling the FJ as I could not stand the fact it was not being used and I was so far away and the money would always be a bonus. Those thoughts did not last long when I realized I could not replace it if I sold it. So it sat for years at a time I made it home and would check it out do routine maintenance and drive the piss out of it then put it away and let it sit for a few more years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These shots are from a trip to the Gila in 2008 when I came down for my Pops 70th B-day.

So here we are March 2011 and my FJ showed up last Wed. from NM in Idaho. Friends of mine that know and love the truck brought it up guess they couldn't stand it sitting either. It is showing some more wear than I remember but what do you expect when it sits for that long.

[​IMG]

On the trailer it made its way up from NM through ABQ the south west corner of CO then spent a few days in Moab before showing up in southern Idaho.

[​IMG]

After it was unloaded and sitting next to the Tacoma, I realized I have 10 35" tires between the two rigs. Guess this means I might need to look at 37's for the Cruiser next to fix that.:D

[​IMG]

A shot of the interior its original from 72 and showing its age but I still think its pretty cool. I am thinking bucket seats and a center console are in the future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sitting in its new home waiting to be worked on...

[​IMG]

A shot after doing a little snow wheeling well at least I know the winch is in working order but the rear locker is acting a little funny. Brakes need bleeding and got some gremlins on the tail lights to track down other than that the FJ is doing pretty well. My plan currently is to get the Cruiser road worthy again so that I have wheels when working on the crawlbox for the Tacoma this summer.

Thanks for checking out my thread.:D:D:D

bski22 and G.T. like this.
  2. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Right on man, This thing has been through quite the journey!

3. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

God damn do I miss the days when interiors were actually upholstered rather than glorified seat covers.

Badass thread man. Your automotive life makes me jealous.

4. Mar 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    fucking cool as fuck man....as always

5. Mar 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    What a story. I didn't know you had that much into it.

6. Mar 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab SR5, 4wd, 2.7L URD S/C, 4:88's ARB lockers, 36x9.8r16 Radial TSL
    I think it has been a pretty good journey, I'm glad it is finally out of storage and at my house again.

I have always loved the inside of the Cruiser and if I do change out the bench seat for a set of buckets they will be upholstered to match the original interior and jump seats in the rear of the truck.

Its funny for all the vehicles I have gone through this one has stuck with me the longest and been one of the most rewarding to drive and work on.

Thanks man, your posts always fucking crack me up they are blunt and to the point.

I have put quite a bit into it with a ton of help from friends along the way this is one of those trucks that people always ask "do you still have the cruiser".

Thanks again for checking out the Cruiser.....

7. Mar 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I read the whole thing, great story! You should come up to the MT meet this summer. Bring it if you really want!

8. Mar 28, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Thanks man, I would definitely be into coming up to the MT meet this year not sure which truck to drive probably the Tacoma unless it is in pieces. When is it planned to happen? The only hold up I would have is if it's a busy fire season and I am working. EDIT: I found the link in your sig and will post up in that thread.

9. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    I ended up having a good part of the day to work on the Cruiser, After doing some work on it and having a buddy show up we decided to take it for quick run in the desert just to mess around and get out of the garage. The snow has been going away quick and the ground is drying out but there are still some spots that are super muddy, almost bottomless and soup like. We headed out on the roads near the house and things were good I took a turn down a two track and decided it was not a way to go It was running into a low spot that had a lot standing water in the bottom. I stopped and went to turn around hung a small snow drift with soupy mud underneath it and the truck was hung but still moving then I felt the cruiser begin to sink like the bottom was gone I stopped and pulled the winch cable tied off to some brush but it was no use as the ground was so saturated that the roots started to pull out. At this point we went back to house and grabbed the Tacoma to give it a tug with. So here are the pics from the yesterdays adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D:eek::mad::rolleyes::)

10. Apr 5, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I bet the 40 is happy to be back in it's natural habitat :D.

11. Apr 5, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    tacomazach

tacomazach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    01 doublecab 4x4
    man, the fj40s are by far my favorite landcruiser. I love it man. Good thread!

12. Apr 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    I think it is, although the cruiser is more likely my natural habitat or terrarium if that is a better word for it.:D

Thanks, I'm partial to the 40's although I would pretty much have any of them.

Currently in the process of replacing a bad front U-joint and the mechanical fuel pump as well both are pretty much shot at this point. Hopefully I can finish it up this weekend. I also plan to pull the hard top this weekend, I just picked up a Olive Drab bikini top for it first time I had seen one that color. Don't anyone get to worried I still love my Tacoma as well and that thread will see some updates soon.:D

13. Apr 13, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    haha.

That bikini top sounds awesome.

14. Apr 18, 2011 at 8:00 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    I'm still waiting on a fuel pump spacer/isolator its a 6$ part it was supposed to show up around the end of last week. So instead I washed the truck, pulled the hardtop off, installed the bikini top, cleaned out the interior and washed the windows. I was also able to change out a front flat on the dirtbike and prep it for riding season. Some pictures from the weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After washing about 5 years worth of grime off, While I was waiting for it to dry off I started prepping the bike and changed out a front tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Table O parts still waiting on more....

Finished the bike up and went out for quick test ride, seemed to ride really well and I didn't pinch the tube putting the tire back on.

[​IMG]

Back to the Landcruiser....cleaning out the back a good collection of sticks, leaves, cigarette butts, beer caps and .86 cents in change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot more rust on the rear sill than I remember guess that is just part of it. So this is the part where I remove the hardtop by myself and in the process almost kill myself....guess I'm not as young as I used to be but still just as stupid. I did not take any photos at this point as I was the only one around luckily I did not break any glass out of the hardtop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully parts show up this week so I can finish it up and get back to work on the Tacoma.

15. Apr 18, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    Looks even better topless. :D Nice bike too. Man I'm really jealous of all your toys.

16. Apr 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Thanks, I just wish had more time and money to make better use of my toys. Here is another shot of the new top olive drab and its cammo on the inside.

[​IMG]

17. Apr 19, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    tacomazach

tacomazach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    01 doublecab 4x4
    If you're going to leave the bikini top on, you should definitely take the doors off too ;)

18. Apr 24, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Normally when I pull the doors off I put the windshield down as well. I am looking forward to it being warm enough to pull the doors off not quite there yet maybe in a few more weeks.

The fuel pump spacer/isolator showed up, it ony took 2 weeks guess they changed the part number and it did not ship the first time I ordered it but at least it showed up on Friday for the second go around. I got it all put back together Friday after work and took it out for a spin on Saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. May 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    jacob_wood

jacob_wood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
  20. May 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    n0rth

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    Some new shots from Sunday evening after getting the front driveline back in and pulling the steering column to get at the brake light switch to test it. Wiring is one of those things I hate to deal with and don't quite understand, but all my lights are working again so I'm happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although, I really do dig how simple this truck is to work on.

After it was all back together myself and the dog Norton had to go for a ride in the desert.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top