1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help with Gears.

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Headley1989, May 18, 2011.

1. May 18, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    Headley1989

Headley1989 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I have a 2009 Tocoma Double Cab TRD Sport and Im in the the process of putting a 6inch Fabtech lift on it with 35s for tires. Im also planning on changing the gears and was thinking of going with 4.56 but also heard 4.88 would be a better choice to help me get gas mileage better. I heard if you go with a 4.88 that you would also have to change out something else cause of the gear size cant really remember what it was maybe the drive shaft or something. But also heard from others it was a rumor that I could place 4.88 in there if thats what I wanted to get. If anyone can help me with this choice I need to make and any recommendations on what gear size you think should go with and also if you heard of changing any other parts. Thank you and def need the help..

2. May 18, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Youre in the wrong section. With It depends on what you have from the factory and that depends on which transmission you have. If you have a manual transmission then you can go 4:88 without changing the carrier. With an automatic you can go 4:56 without a carrier. If you have an auto and want to go to 4:88 in an automatic you will have to get a new carriers. You can do that two ways. either buy carriers that fit or buy the ARB air lockers that fit the 4:88 gears. Regardless, don't expect drastic increases in gas mileage. you will be lucky to get 1mpg better. What you will get is much better torque. This will help with gear searching while going up hill and you will get more umph when you step on it. To really see the benefits gas mileage wise you will need to keep your foot off it and cruiser slower and not romp on it off the line.

Products Discussed in

To Top