LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

1986 Samurai Build... "SAMMI"

Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Not all who wander are lost
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

01GREENTACO's Tacoma Gallery
1986 Samurai Build... "SAMMI"

My best friend and I built up a 1988 Suzuki Samurai soft top (build thread in signature) but we have always wanted a tin top. We've searched and searched and found a few but they were either in terrible condition, too expensive, too far away, or some combination. We spotted one last summer out near his farm but someone bought it out from under us before we could get in touch with the owner. So we began the search once more. Nothing for a year, then last week, the man who bought the Samurai out from under us had posted it for sale on Craigslist and this time the price was right.
His original posted asking price was $3750 but we were able to talk him down $1000 and walked out with a box full of spare parts and a 1986 tin top Samurai for $2750.
The truck is in spectacular condition. No windows busted out, no tears in the seats, 4x4 functioning properly with 4low, no dents in the body, no rust whatsoever anywhere on the truck. We picked it up today around 3:30 are still in shock about the price and the condition of everything.
This is going to be a fairly modest build and the truck will mainly serve as a daily driver more than an off-road monster. The truck came with a 5" SPOA lift installed by the original owner but the previous owner installed brand new 265/75/15 Master Craft Courser A/T, an engine that was rebuilt less than 5,000 miles ago, As I mentioned no rust, leather seat covers, air conditioning, the list goes on and on. The only negative (some might not consider it one but I do) is the rattle can, camo paint job and it will be one of the first things to be changed. Like I said, not going to be a huge, over the top, extreme trail ready or rock climbing/mudding rig... just something we can have fun with. Throw the mountain bikes on the back, kayaks on top, and go camping for the weekend and be able to have a reliable machine that will get us where we need to be. Since we just got it today and both have 60 hour a week jobs, progress will be slow but I intend to take many more pictures than the other Samurai build so stay tuned to see the progression of "SAMMI"

"SUSIE" on the left and "SAMMI" on the right.

The full size spare (265/75/15) was bending the hinges so we had to take the spare off to reinforce the gate:

The ugly rattle can camo paint scheme
Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed01GREENTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Did a bunch of work this weekend and got a lot of work done but not without having some late late nights.

Got a Sony stereo installed allowing the use of iPods, cds, mp3s and radio. Everyone loves their tunes!

In addition to the stereo, we got some cheap Autozone speakers and they surprisingly sounds good for only $30.

Dupli-color bed lined the tub and it turned out good after only 2 coats. We'll have to see how it holds up over time

Tinted the back windows with 35% and plan on doing the front windows and back ones as well when we buy more tint.

Ordered 1.5" wheel spacers last week and they came in on Friday along with a new steering stabilizer. It's amazing how the installation of both really improved ride quality

We capped off the weekend with the stripping of the rattle canned camo paint job. Man, was that a task that might be more than we can tackle. I spent 8 hours yesterday and only got the back passenger panel and part of the passenger door stripped. It sure is time consuming and tedious beyond all belief. While I was sanding the hood I noticed the previous owner didn't sand the original color before he camo'ed it so the paint was clumping up. It was the weirdest thing I'd seen and that's the reason we are stripping it back to the bare metal so we know we've got a good solid paint job. My buddy's granddad used to own a body shop and there were some minor dings here and there that we wanted to get out prior to painting. It was my first experience with Bondo and I learned a lot from his about proper techniques and was very pleased with how it all turned out. Smooth as silk now.
Went to a local paint shop and ordered some House of Kolor and it should be here before the weekend which works out perfect because we are priming Wednesday night. We are so pumped to get the paint on because once we wrap up the paint, we can start the accessorizing. Things such as Yakima racks, Trail Ready bumpers, after market lights, skid plates and others are in the works.
Here's what I got done after 8 long hours...

Old 06-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a fun project! The camo looked pretty good in the pics to me and I ain't a fan of camp. What color are ya gonna paint it?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery

Looks awesome!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Nice I was interested in one in the past but like you said " either in terrible condition, too expensive, too far away, or some combination " Keep us posted the build looks good so far.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #7

Lots of work done this past week and weekend. Last week we sent Sammi off to get professionally painted at an friend of a friend's paint shop. Decided to do a dark charcoal color to help accentuate the black from the tires and racks and bumpers. Did a little photo shoot after the bumpers were reinstalled and the $100 Yakima rack was installed along with some "just for looks" sliders. Caution... Mall crawling pics soon to follow...

All in all, the project is pretty much done. There are some black diamond plate panels on back order but once they are installed, the project is pretty much complete. A few odds and ends to button up and as time goes on more little projects will arise but now it's time to enjoy the new ride!

Link to the diamond plate panels---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=243841381035
Old 06-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Looks tuff as hell!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Wow that looks amazing!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #10

Thanks fellas! It is going to be fun to show off around town and school in the fall.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #11
derekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to beholdderekAV is a splendid one to behold

Name: derek
derekAV's Tacoma Gallery
thats a clean tin top!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
very cool build, wish i had the time and money to do this to some ol reliable vehicle.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
nice man, its really clean i like it
Old 07-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! I love these rigs.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #15

Thanks guys. It's been a blast building it and now being able to enjoy it.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #16

Update:
New front ARB bumper with Smittybilt XRC 8000 and swapped out the 265 Courser A/T for 235 Dueler M/T's

Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #17
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
Boy do I miss this thing. Hate that I had to sell it, but hey! got my tacoma out of it!