Notices

1966 Chevy C10

Old 06-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
01 5 speed
taco52 is on a distinguished road

Name: Trevor
taco52's Tacoma Gallery
1966 Chevy C10

Ok so this is my first truck. Im only 15 so there isnt a lot put into it but i thought i would just share.
P.S. (I dont have many pictures.)

When i was about 11 my parents purchased me a 1966 Chevy c10 to build-up and restore with my grandpa who restores classic cars/trucks for a hobby. I started by striping all the paint my myself which took about 5 months with only working on weekends. Then we tore out the crappy 40 year old wooden bed and believe me that was no small task. We took the truck to my grandpa and he sanded, primed, and painted the truck. He also sprayed in bed lin the truck ber oned for a durable unique look vs a paint look. From there we took building the bed into our own hands. We went to home depot and bought about 350$ of solid oak. (includes the waterproof clear coating for the wood). The reason we chose oak is it will look good and it is very strong and durable. Then we measured everything out to make sure it fit and put it together. Here's what it looked like.

Then we coated the bottom of the wood with about 7 coats of the clear coat. Then we did the top side of the wood making sure we did really well to not get any air-bubbles in the coat. We were using paint brushes to apply the coating.

Here is what the final project looked like.

And before i finish up i almost forgot to tell you what color i picked for the truck. Well i picked a grey that has some flaking in it to give it some shine. I chose this color after seeing this truck. It was one of the hardest decisions i have had to make.

heres what my truck looks like compared to the 4wd truck above.

And what it looks like after sitting for almost a year. Dont freak out by the amount of dust on the truck.

One last thing. The truck has the stock Straight 6 motor. It was three on the tree. Which was awesome but a typical problem with three on the tree is if you dont shift perfeclty smooth it causes the linkage to mess up and the gear doesnt drop into place. So now i have a three on the Floor.

And here are some interior pics

And the spedomoter stopped working just the other day so im guessing the cable broke or it came undone. thats ok it was off by 15 or more anyway. Its a fun little truck to drive. Drives like a caddalic with the soft 40 year old suspension

It should be interesting when i get my licesnce to see what the kids at school think of me driving a 40 year old truck when their parents just bought them a brand new ford focus or something. haha who cares. I LOVE MY TRUCK. and all the haters.

now i just need a 350 so i can

love to hear what ya have to say about my first ride.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck. You need to lift it like the pic
Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work! Glad to see young 'uns driving a manual.

Get used to how the back end handles before you go dropping a bigger motor in there and swapping ends...

One piece of advice. Class it up by losing the lady sticker. You are 15...and those things aren't appropriate at any age...
Old 06-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
Theres a reason they call them classics. Don't ever be tempted to sell it. Thats an heirloom right there kid.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
01 5 speed

taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Nice work! Glad to see young 'uns driving a manual.

Get used to how the back end handles before you go dropping a bigger motor in there and swapping ends...

One piece of advice. Class it up by losing the lady sticker. You are 15...and those things aren't appropriate at any age...
Yeah i love driving manual. I learned when i got my first dirtbike almost 10 years ago and I really wish more modern cars were availble in manual transmissions. And about the "lady sticker" on the back window. Im not sure if i want to take it off yet because my grandfather had it custom made for my truck and i like to think of it at his finishing touch. But once i get my licence and actually go into public where i can be seen it will probably be coming off soon.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
01 5 speed

taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp68 View Post
Theres a reason they call them classics. Don't ever be tempted to sell it. Thats an heirloom right there kid.
I will never sell this truck and that's no lie. You could take everything from me but this truck. You would have to kill me if you wanted it.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
01 5 speed

taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
Nice truck. You need to lift it like the pic
The truck in the picture is a 4wd model obviously and mine is not. The only way to make mine 4wd would to buy the same model with 4wd and swap out frame and parts. That would not be cost efective. But living in colorado i need a 4wd truck so thats why i want a tacoma. Hopefully there will be one in my near future. If not i will eventually buy one.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Rhino is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
Rhino's Tacoma Gallery
man i love it, im 17 and my first truck was a 87 dodge, i got a build thread on here of it to, i love that old truck and i'll never get rid of it i love old vehicles and i'll probably have one to work on the rest of my life have fun buildin this truck, just dont f stuff up with wrecks and stupid driving, good luck
Old 07-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #10
budd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbudd4766 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 51T - 412th EnCom
budd4766's Tacoma Gallery
I'm jealous! Sweet truck. I'd love to have that...if nothing else, just because I was born in '66.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Had a 64 Chevy that was supposed to be my 2st truck, had to sell it, was doing a full resto on it, short bed stepside, with the 230 3 on the tree, had a Hi-performance 327 and th-350 to go in it, but had to sell. Your truck looks good man, just save up for the 350