1984 Toyota Pickup
Purchased February 2011.
I purchased the truck with the following items (kinda????)
• 6” Skyjacker lift
• 35x12.5 BFG MT’s
• Warn Winch
• 5:49 Gears (I didn’t think about it but after purchasing I couldn’t find this as a viable gear ratio)
• Detroit Locker in the rear
• MSD ignition
• Smittybuilt rollbar and front bumper
• CB radio
• Tool Box
When I test drove the truck, it was running rough and had a wobble when driving. Rough shape to the body and rust here and there. The interior didn't look the best but could be cleaned up. Got a good deal on it (so I thought at the time) so I purchased and took it home.
This adventure started shortly after getting it in the garage with cleaning the carb to attempt to get the emissions done before I take it down for rebuild. I realized that this wasn’t going to work since oil was leaking everywhere and the engine wasn't running well. Attempts at adjusting the timing really didn’t work and it was suspected that the timing chain skipped a tooth. I soon took the truck down and put it up on jack stands. Instead of choosing a task to tackle and complete, I decided to attack the whole truck at once. It started by removing the wheels, bed box, roll bar, tailgate, bed sides, seats, door liners and interior electronic components.
Carb Cleaning (Not Rebuild)
The carb came off easy. It was gummed up but didn’t look too bad. A few cans of carb cleaner later the Carb was clean and back together. I purchased a full rebuild kit but plan to do that only if I see problems now or a task for the winter months.
Because the knuckles were leaking oil, I was inclined to do a full rebuild. The full knuckle rebuild kit was purchased from All-Pro Offroad. The kit includes all necessary gaskets and seals as well as the steering bearings. The wheel bearings are sold separately. After tearing about the hubs it was discovered that there was no grease in the hubs at all. It was actually filled with axle fluid. The seals must have busted a while back and the truck was ran long enough for the diff fluid to mix completely with the grease. Grease was mixed into the axle oil and was spread throughout the axle and differential. Rebuild went well except pulling apart the birfield and inner axle shaft to clean it up and put it back together. The knuckle is almost done but decided to add some paint to the hub.
The engine could not be timed properly and was leaking like crazy from the oil pan, front main and up near the alternator. The previous owner must have opened the engine up to fix something and put it back together using a shitload of gasket goo. It was oozing from every crevice. Within a day the engine was down to the block. The lower timing chain sprocket was cracked which could have been the reason for the engine running rough by being out of time. I cleaned up the engine as best I could and replaced the following:
- All new gaskets
- New water pump
- New oil pump
- New sensors
- New pcv valve
- New Timing chain and sprockets
Put axle back together - Complete
Dill out the diff drain plug and install new - Complete
Fill axle with axle fluid - Complete
Finish putting the engine back together (timing cover, water pump, oil pump, belts, hoses, radiator, etc) - Complete
Clean the interior - Complete
Put the interior back together
Put the wheels back on - Complete
Bleed the brakes - Complete
Add engine oil and coolant - Complete
Test run - Complete
Sand the bed of the truck and clean
Weld the holes up in the bed
Paint Bed liner in the bed
Install new fuel filter
Drain and Pull Apart the rear axle, replace seals, inspect and put back together
Inspect tire rubbing and size of spacers I can use
Cut back the body mount and bend the pinch welds
Test flex and if not satisfied pull the add a leafs and re-test
Replace power steering fluid
Clean air filter
Replace and seal the air box think about snorkel options
Build new door interiors
Sand and paint the roll bar and install
Paint everything that needs it
BTW, my truck kinda resembles the truck from Back to the Future!!
Perfect match for my 07'
More info and wheeling pics to come...