Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

1988 4x4 Pick Up

Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Small and Tall
tacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
tacobell007's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacobell007
1988 4x4 Pick Up

This is my 1988 toyota pickup regular cab, 5spd, v6, 4x4 with manual hubs, newer radio and speakers, rust repaired. Color is a silvery champagne with purple airbrush and the black is bed liner. It has 126,000 miles. The clutch grabs well and drives nice. I will not be able to pick it up until labor day because he is putting in 2 new c/v axles and fixing a rust hole in the hood. I have always wanted a truck and this is a nice starting point. The reason I got this is because my 1998 Corolla's manual transmission went last week (so anyone looking for a parts car or parts let me know). Glad to finally be getting back into a vehicle. My dad will be happy that I will not really have to borrow his truck anymore.

If you want to check out the Corolla here is the link to the build http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...a-corolla.html

My plans are...
aFe drop in air filter (if made for that motor)
4 inch lift with 33's
Fix ebrake, exhaust, and valve cover gaskets
truck box with a 10 inch sub probably
off road lights (does not come with the ones pictured, but wiring will be left)
shift knob (maybe)
new clutch (heavy duty for off roading)
tonneau cover, or something similar
muffler (maybe, have to look on youtube first)
And more that I cannot think of right now...

Here are 2 pictures I took when we went to go look at the truck, you can see my dad's Tacoma in the back ground.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Chriskn1690 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Chriskn1690's Tacoma Gallery
I can't wait to see this thing my dude lol, can't wait!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
you should sas it
Old 09-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
One thing I'll recommend off the bat is doing (or having him do it before installing) the boot slide mod for your CV joints. Because of the lift, the increased angle on the cv causes the fins to rub and tear prematurely. You can simply unattached the end of the boot and slide it down on the shaft, then re attach with a hose clamp. It keeps the fins from rubbing.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-cv-boots.html
Old 09-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Small and Tall
tacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
you should sas it
One day after I get out of college and can get a daily driver I'll make this a dedicated trail rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
One thing I'll recommend off the bat is doing (or having him do it before installing) the boot slide mod for your CV joints. Because of the lift, the increased angle on the cv causes the fins to rub and tear prematurely. You can simply unattached the end of the boot and slide it down on the shaft, then re attach with a hose clamp. It keeps the fins from rubbing.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-cv-boots.html
Thanks for the link! I'll keep it in mind for when I save up enough money for a lift and new tires. I'm still looking around at builds to see what other people have done to their trucks
Old 09-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobell007 View Post
One day after I get out of college and can get a daily driver I'll make this a dedicated trail rig

Thanks for the link! I'll keep it in mind for when I save up enough money for a lift and new tires. I'm still looking around at builds to see what other people have done to their trucks
It looks great just as it is! Please don't listen to all the guys on here saying spray paint everything black. There is a mindset on Tw that spray painting chrome is a "mod" or improvement, when it really just makes them look like a 15 year old. I hate blacked out trucks, I would never drive one!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you check the intake boots. In my 89 they dried out and cracked along a seem and dusted the engine with 212k.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobell007 View Post
This is my 1988 toyota pickup regular cab, 5spd, v6, 4x4 with manual hubs, newer radio and speakers, rust repaired. Color is a silvery champagne with purple airbrush and the black is bed liner. It has 126,000 miles. The clutch grabs well and drives nice. I will not be able to pick it up until labor day because he is putting in 2 new c/v axles and fixing a rust hole in the hood. I have always wanted a truck and this is a nice starting point. The reason I got this is because my 1998 Corolla's manual transmission went last week (so anyone looking for a parts car or parts let me know). Glad to finally be getting back into a vehicle. My dad will be happy that I will not really have to borrow his truck anymore.

If you want to check out the Corolla here is the link to the build http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...a-corolla.html

My plans are...
aFe drop in air filter (if made for that motor)
4 inch lift with 33's
Fix ebrake, exhaust, and valve cover gaskets
truck box with a 10 inch sub probably
off road lights (does not come with the ones pictured, but wiring will be left)
shift knob (maybe)
new clutch (heavy duty for off roading)
tonneau cover, or something similar
muffler (maybe, have to look on youtube first)
And more that I cannot think of right now...

Here are 2 pictures I took when we went to go look at the truck, you can see my dad's Tacoma in the back ground.

Looks like a fun truck! I had an 86 4x4 when I was 17. *sniff*
Old 09-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Small and Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
It looks great just as it is! Please don't listen to all the guys on here saying spray paint everything black. There is a mindset on Tw that spray painting chrome is a "mod" or improvement, when it really just makes them look like a 15 year old. I hate blacked out trucks, I would never drive one!
Haha I don't plan to black it out. I like the color the way it is, plus silver hides scratches well HEY!.... Isn't your truck blacked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Make sure you check the intake boots. In my 89 they dried out and cracked along a seem and dusted the engine with 212k.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out once I get the truck to my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Looks like a fun truck! I had an 86 4x4 when I was 17. *sniff*
I'm super excited to get the truck I space off in school thinking about it. Plus I wont have to take the bus at school anymore which will be really nice. I plan to have this for a long time
Old 09-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
Small and Tall

Here are 2 pictures the previous owner (guy I bought it from) sent me of the rust repair he did to the truck. Used sheet metal, cut out the bad area and then bondo to level and painted.
Attached Thumbnails
1988 4x4 Pick Up-dscn0801.jpg   1988 4x4 Pick Up-dscn0807.jpg  
Old 09-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
hunterorange is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
hunterorange's Tacoma Gallery
congrats bro
Old 09-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: FC1(SW)
Name: Beau
2kool4school's Tacoma Gallery
you dont need a 4 inch lift to run 33s, just turn up the Tbars and get a 1" longer shackle for the rear.
and good luck with that V6 it was a piece of shit till 95.5
Old 09-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
Small and Tall

I know, but having more travel is a plus. The only big problem on the v6's really is the head gasket. I have to do the valve cover gaskets and timing belt so I might as well replace the head gasket while I'm in there for good measure
Old 09-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #17
Small and Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
I had an 86 also and a 91...great truck kid take care of it and dont do anything stupid :P hahaha....take your time and build it right..its almost impossible to find them that good a condition...you have a rare rig good luck
I will take care of it. It's going to be my baby haha. I'm going to build it right because if you do it right from the start, then you only have to do it once. I'm going to make it as tasteful as possible also
Old 09-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #19
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
I had an 86 also and a 91...great truck kid take care of it and dont do anything stupid :P hahaha....take your time and build it right..its almost impossible to find them that good a condition...you have a rare rig good luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebnFLEea9SE