1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1988 4x4 Pick Up

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by tacobell007, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Aug 31, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 [OP] Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    This is my 1988 toyota pickup regular cab, 5spd, v6, 4x4 with manual hubs, newer radio and speakers, rust repaired. Color is a silvery champagne with purple airbrush and the black is bed liner. It has 126,000 miles. The clutch grabs well and drives nice. I will not be able to pick it up until labor day because he is putting in 2 new c/v axles and fixing a rust hole in the hood. I have always wanted a truck and this is a nice starting point. The reason I got this is because my 1998 Corolla's manual transmission went last week (so anyone looking for a parts car or parts let me know). Glad to finally be getting back into a vehicle. My dad will be happy that I will not really have to borrow his truck anymore.

If you want to check out the Corolla here is the link to the build http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/other-builds/122999-my-1998-toyota-corolla.html

My plans are...
    aFe drop in air filter (if made for that motor)
    4 inch lift with 33's
    Fix ebrake, exhaust, and valve cover gaskets
    truck box with a 10 inch sub probably
    off road lights (does not come with the ones pictured, but wiring will be left)
    shift knob (maybe)
    new clutch (heavy duty for off roading)
    tonneau cover, or something similar
    muffler (maybe, have to look on youtube first)
    And more that I cannot think of right now...

Here are 2 pictures I took when we went to go look at the truck, you can see my dad's Tacoma in the back ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DrFunker likes this.
  2. Sep 1, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.
    I can't wait to see this thing my dude lol, can't wait!

3. Sep 2, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    I know man I can't wait! Hopefully it's done early. I'll come by Five Star one day you are working to show you

4. Sep 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    you should sas it

5. Sep 2, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    One day after I get out of college and can get a daily driver I'll make this a dedicated trail rig :D

Thanks for the link! I'll keep it in mind for when I save up enough money for a lift and new tires. I'm still looking around at builds to see what other people have done to their trucks :)

6. Sep 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Make sure you check the intake boots. In my 89 they dried out and cracked along a seem and dusted the engine with 212k.

7. Sep 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Looks like a fun truck! I had an 86 4x4 when I was 17. *sniff*

8. Sep 2, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Haha I don't plan to black it out. I like the color the way it is, plus silver hides scratches well ;) HEY!.... Isn't your truck blacked out :p

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out once I get the truck to my house.

I'm super excited to get the truck :D I space off in school thinking about it. Plus I wont have to take the bus at school anymore which will be really nice. I plan to have this for a long time :cool:

9. Sep 3, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Here are 2 pictures the previous owner (guy I bought it from) sent me of the rust repair he did to the truck. Used sheet metal, cut out the bad area and then bondo to level and painted.

DSCN0801.jpg
    DSCN0807.jpg

10. Sep 3, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    hunterorange

hunterorange Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    western mass
    Vehicle:
    2011 crew cab, short bed, TRD sport
    all pro sliders with rino liner on them, and my yakima canoe rack.
    congrats bro

11. Sep 3, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Thanks man, I might have it tonight. I'll be out your way tomorrow

12. Sep 3, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    2kool4school

2kool4school Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '12 JKU Sport
    you dont need a 4 inch lift to run 33s, just turn up the Tbars and get a 1" longer shackle for the rear.
    and good luck with that V6 it was a piece of shit till 95.5

13. Sep 3, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    I know, but having more travel is a plus. The only big problem on the v6's really is the head gasket. I have to do the valve cover gaskets and timing belt so I might as well replace the head gasket while I'm in there for good measure

14. Sep 3, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    I had an 86 also and a 91...great truck kid take care of it and dont do anything stupid :p hahaha....take your time and build it right..its almost impossible to find them that good a condition...you have a rare rig good luck

15. Sep 3, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    I will take care of it. It's going to be my baby haha. I'm going to build it right because if you do it right from the start, then you only have to do it once. I'm going to make it as tasteful as possible also :D

16. Sep 3, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
  17. Sep 3, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebnFLEea9SE

18. Sep 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    haha nothing like that will be done with this truck

19. Sep 18, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    black it out

20. Sep 19, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    I'm not sure if I wanna go that way. Your avatar looks pretty damn sweet. Guessing thats your 89 pickup?

Also, I have one E-brake lever in, gotta put the driver side one in then run my cables that I got from Toyota

Products Discussed in

To Top