Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

The Other Black Sheep - Subaru Impreza 2.5 NA

Old 11-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The Other Black Sheep - Subaru Impreza 2.5 NA

2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i naturally-aspirated base model.

Just a few functional mods for now. Prefer one money pit (Taco) rather than two.

Weathertech Floorliner

Subaru OEM Cargoliner

RallyArmor Flaps

Family Picture

Other stuff not shown:

eBay 35W 5100K HID kit in stock projector housing
AFE drop-in Dry-S air filter
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. 5 speed?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
JoePSI is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoePSI is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoePSI is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoePSI is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoePSI is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoePSI is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoePSI is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoePSI is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoePSI is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoePSI is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoePSI is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
JoePSI's Tacoma Gallery
We picked up my wife an 08 Subaru Outback Sport about 6 months ago. Its very similar to yours. She loves it, they're great cars.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Added CoverKing NeoSupreme seat covers. They do not fit as well as Wet Okoles, but are about one-third cheaper. Note the Belkin Bluetooth receiver aft of the parking brake handle. It plugs into the aux port inside the center console.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Checked the cabin air filter today. Subaru's design requires the glove box to be removed to access the cabin filter.

Tapped the leaves out, then vacuumed it. Ordered a few TYC filters from Logical-Source.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Got sick of the body roll. The base model lacks the rear swaybar found on the WRX and STi, easily remedied:

Interestingly, the parts are compatible with the FT86/BRZ. Subaru Lego-engineering at work again.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
HankHill is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Police Officer/Sergeant
Name: Michael
HankHill's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking subie. Kinda makes me miss my old impreza
Old 11-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Since the base Subaru shift knob is rubberized plastic, I put the Taco OEM leather shift knob in my Subaru. Drilled out the counterbore section inside the knob to fit the Subaru's 10 mm stalk (Toyota is 8 mm).

Old 11-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Got the sway bar installed:

Close-up of the Energy Suspension urethane bushings and billet aluminum end links:

Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
keylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
keylay's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. I've got a 2011 Impreza Outback Sport with strut tower brace, front/rear sways too. I'm actually putting it on the market after Christmas or even before so i can get back into a Tacoma. Before the Subaru, i had a 04 Prerunner. Looking for a 2nd Gen 4 door, pre runner.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Since the OEM oil filter is reportedly made by Fram, I had to find better options. Bought a few of the Denso filters:

Sealed O-ring and silicone anti-drainback valve:

Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Impreza sir!

My gf is looking at buying her first car and we are strongly considering an '07 - '10 or so Impreza hatch (wagon) like yours either in Base or Sport trim.

I was wondering what mileage do you get on average with this car. I know the mileage greatly improved with the new 2 litre engine and face lift in 2012, but those will most likely be out of our price range for now. Are there any particular common problems with these cars or things to watch out for when buying used? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If she likes driving, she'll like the Impreza. It handles incredibly well and 170 hp is above-average.

Look for a 2009 or later model, as they have rear disc brakes, slightly updated interior and vehicle stability control. I've had zero defects with the car over the last two years. Make sure there are no external head gasket leaks - not a common problem with this generation of Impreza, but a known issue with 2007 and earlier 2.5L Subaru boxers.

I average about 22 mpg (11 L/100 km) in mostly city driving with this car, which is in between the EPA ratings of 20 mpg city / 26 mpg highway. This is with aggressive 4000-rpm "manual" upshifts through the 4-speed slushbox.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
I see, I will focus my search on '09+ then unless I find too good of a deal to pass up on '07 - '08 one. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #16
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Cusco Strut Tower Brace Installed

The brace is aluminum oval tubular section and weighs just 3.9 lb.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
keylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shed
keylay's Tacoma Gallery
same mods i had on mine when i sold it. miss the car because of the fuel economy and fun factor. however, the tacoma is much more useful in my career and family life. so, offroading does make up for the missed fun factor.

here's mine with the rack

set up to haul mountain bike

trip to colorado. the AWD did wonderful.

however, you weren't going to see the Subaru haul gear like this, or more unless you put the seats down.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
EODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedEODTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Explosive Ordnanace Disposal
Name: Dave
EODTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Here is our Subaru.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #19
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylay View Post
however, you weren't going to see the Subaru haul gear like this, or more unless you put the seats down.
Incidentally, my CBI sliders arrived at the truck freight depot on the same day I was installing my lift. I ended up picking up the sliders in my Subaru: reclined the front seat all the way down, and folded the rear seatback. It's a remarkably practical vehicle that is also fun to drive. I take the car to my local Toyota dealer for maintenance because they charge less than the Subaru dealer:

Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
keylay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODTRD View Post
Here is our Subaru.

Nice. My wife drives a Forester too! Haha.

We went from 2001 Camry (hers) and 2004 Tacoma (mine) to a 2010 Forester (hers) and 2011 Impreza OBS (mine), then sold my Impreza for my 2005 Tacoma. I've been full circle it seems with Subaru and Toyota.