LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

Box Rocket Trailer Build

Old 08-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #61
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Magnetic tail lights. Would've never thought of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post

If you order a custom axle. Order it to match the track width of the tow rig. That way (unless you have a VERY long tongue on the trailer) the trailer will follow in essentially the same tracks as the tow vehicle even around corners. This is improtant especially on technical trails when you have to carefully pick lines. You'll be glad if you trailer will follow the same lines you can drive.
I wonder if there's a way to calculate the ideal hitch to axle length? Or is it that pretty much any short trailer will track in nearly the same path?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #62
no time for d-bags
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingTaco View Post
I wonder if there's a way to calculate the ideal hitch to axle length? Or is it that pretty much any short trailer will track in nearly the same path?
I'm sure there is but that's way too technical for me. I throw the mathmatics out the window in favor of realworld results. If it works on the trail etc then I do it.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #63
Mount Sannine is on a distinguished road

Mount Sannine's Tacoma Gallery
Box Rocket, what are the chains for? the ones hanging between the trailer and the truck. Extra security in case it disconnects?
I built a trailer for an diesel generator that I tow to construction sites, and was thinking of adding chains incase it disconnects by accident.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #64
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Sannine View Post
Box Rocket, what are the chains for? the ones hanging between the trailer and the truck. Extra security in case it disconnects?
I built a trailer for an diesel generator that I tow to construction sites, and was thinking of adding chains incase it disconnects by accident.

I'm not sure about where you are at, but when you get trailers inspected here in WA to get licensed, chains are required or it's a no go. They can not be welded to the trailer, they have to be bolted. Just check the laws for inspection in your area.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #65
no time for d-bags
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yep they are safety chains. They are required in most states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I'm not sure about where you are at, but when you get trailers inspected here in WA to get licensed, chains are required or it's a no go. They can not be welded to the trailer, they have to be bolted. Just check the laws for inspection in your area.
^This.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #66
Mount Sannine is on a distinguished road

Mount Sannine's Tacoma Gallery
Laws over here are very subjective to police men's moods...
I just want to be playing safe regardless of law, so the chains are there incase it disconnects?
wouldnt the nose be draging on the asphalt if the hitch fails? I guess better stay connected and drag,than disconnected and who knows what else...

Edit: Thanks guys
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #67
God Bless America
Rustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Rustbucket's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Adam I am trying to compile a parts list for the future and was wondering if you knew what brake system would be best for a trailer of this design. Seems like the options are either Electric or Hydraulic.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #68
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Gotta love welding in Jesus boots!!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #69
no time for d-bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustbucket View Post
Hey Adam I am trying to compile a parts list for the future and was wondering if you knew what brake system would be best for a trailer of this design. Seems like the options are either Electric or Hydraulic.

I'd probably go with electric brakes
Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #70
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Electric brakes are alot cheaper and easier to maintain. Usually its the magnet, ground or worn shoes that cause electric brakes to fail. Makes servicing them very easy on the side of the road. Hydraulic or surge brakes are very expensive and use discs and calipers if i recall correctly.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #71
God Bless America
Rustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shedRustbucket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Rustbucket's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome thanks for the information guys. I really appreciate it
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #72
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
IndianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Build
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #73
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Adam, I was looking through your build and I saw that you were possibly wanting a little longer tongue? A few years ago for work we had some trailers that were built to haul air compressors around. we opted to build the main tongue with 2 1/2" slip tube (same stuff as your receiver hitch) and attach the hitch to a 2" square tube that was a few feet long. we then drilled a series of holes down the sides. That allowed us to shorten or lengthen the tongue based on what kind of a mess we were getting into.

Maybe you could incorporate something like that onto the trailer? Seeming how you already have the 2 1/2" sq tubing on the tongue?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #74
no time for d-bags

Yeah that would work. It's not that urgent for me yet. There have only been a couple times that I wish the tongue had been longer, but for most of the time its been ok.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's right in line with what I plan to do if I even address it.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #75
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
after i get a few more projects out of my way, I do plan on building a trailer very similar to yours. I might add a top like you were talking and possibly a soft topper match my truck. I even thought about finding a similar set of fiberglass bedsides to cover water tanks and storage boxes. But The base of it will still be very close to your build.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #76
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
which lock-n-roll hitch did you get? I looked on their website, but I didnt see one that looks like yours.

Also, which tent did you go with?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #77
no time for d-bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerretxx View Post
which lock-n-roll hitch did you get? I looked on their website, but I didnt see one that looks like yours.

Also, which tent did you go with?
I got PN# 510 for the trailer end.
http://locknroll.com/shop-now/pn-510...railer-tongue/

and PN# 303 for the vehicle end.
http://locknroll.com/shop-now/pn-303...trailer-hitch/

The tent is a 1st Gen Mombasa.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #78
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
Box Rocket knows whats happening...
Old 04-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #79
no time for d-bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecloud View Post
Box Rocket knows whats happening...
what's happening?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #80
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
what's happening?
Well I guess not.......

I'll send you more pics later...