Spoiler with a current pic to start things out.
I've had this trailer for a few years now but thought it might be a useful addition here. First off this is nothing even close to the quality and detail of an Adventure trailer or some of the other professionally built trailers. I built this trailer purely out of necessity. At the time I built it, my wheeling vehicle was my FZJ80 Land Cruiser. I have a wife, 4 kids and a dog that all like to camping/wheeling so even though the cruiser will seat 8, with all of us in the truck there isn't that much room left for gear. A trailer seemed like the best option since I didn't want to add a lot of weight to a roofrack.
So my goals were simple.
1) Room for gear in the trailer
2) compact size for better maneuverability on trails
3) track width to match the Cruiser
4) Rugged enough to tow through the Rubicon
I wasn't worried about running power to the trailer for lots of things like a fridge or generator etc. I really just needed a place to put gear so we wouldn't be so cramped inside the truck. I drew up some basic plans and got all my measurements together and headed to the steel yard to pick up materials. At the same time I ordered a custom width axle with match lug pattern to match the width and lug pattern of the Cruiser.
The axle took just a couple days before it was ready. 3500# axle. No brakes. Also came with spring hangers and 3500# trailer springs for about $130.
For the frame I used 2.5"-3/16" wall box channel. I don't have a bunch of specialty tools, but I had borrowed a chop saw from a friend and a welder from another friend. And I had my 4.5" angle grinder and a bunch of grinding disks, flap disks and cuttoff wheels. I wanted to keep the dimensions similar to the M416 military 1/4ton trailers that have a 4x6' box. So I laid out my measurements on the garage floor and cut my frame to 4x6'.
When those were all squared up I tacked it together and put it up on my makeshift welding table and tacked in a couple crossmembers.
Once I had the main frame how I wanted it I welded it all up and cleaned up the welds with a flap disk.