So its nice to see a lot of Taco owners into Mtn Biking. While there are good Mtn Bike sites out there, I spend most of my time here, so I thought I'd share with y'all. I've been collecting parts for a while and only recently have started the assembly.
Started with a used frame/fork from a local mechanic.
Intense tires and tubes
Azonic Outlaw wheelset
Loaded Handlebars & Stem, Race Face Stainless DH headset & Hope goodies
Seat & Seatpost
Sram X0 drivetrain with Race Face cranks & Crank Bros pedals
Hope Tech M4 brakes with floating rotors and braided lines
Started Build 12/31/11
Pressing in bottom S/S cup
Both cups seated
Installing race on forks with plastic tube
Loaded Stem (will trim steerer tube very last)
Loaded Handlebars in place
Installed tires & rotors
Race Face External BB installed
Wheels in place, went with front 20mm Maxle and std QR in rear
But the 2.35 tires have very little mud clearance
New 2.10 Velociraptors on order as well as new wrenches to install rest of the Race Face crankset.
New tires arrived and I installed them this weekend. Better clearance!
Also got some big ass crank arm wrenches to finish up the Race Face install.
Azonic poster for the Outlaw rims
Cranks, bash guard, rear derailleur and brakes installed
Sram XO rear derailleur
Race Face cranks with Salsa bash guard and Crank bros pedals
Marking the steerer tube for cutting
Locating the cut about an 1/8" below scratch line
I deburred the inside and outside of tube and reinstalled stem
Top of tube sits slightly shallow of top of stem
Hope Head Doctor
Head Doctor installed
Bars were a little too long, so I marked the ends for trimming
End cut before deburring
Deburred end and Hope Grip Doctor
Grips and Grip Doctor in place
Hope Tech brake lever installed
Rock Shox Pike remote lock out
I had to file the housing mounts to fit the Sram ferrules
Ferrule test fitting
That's about it so far, I have to route all my cables and set up my brakes. I'm having a bit of an issue right now with my rotors nicking my brake mounting adapters, I may end up taking a little material off the mounting adapters.
Finally got around to finishing it up.
I had issues with the Azonic wheels not lining up true in the frame or forks. With the Maxle front, I finally fabricated a washer to insert on the disc side that fit into the recess of the Pike shocks.
I installed and routed all the cables.
After everything was in place, I bleed the Tech levers and M4 Hope brakes then centralized the pistons about the discs.
Sorry no picts, was in the zone about finishing it all up.
Finally took the beast out for its virgin ride.
In the driveway:
On the trail headed to the local summit:
Detail of summit with Adirondacks in background:
I didn't get too crazy this time out as the brakes hadn't bed in yet, but all worked great!
I locked out both the forks and rear suspension for the climb and let her loose for the decent, plush yet agile !