Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

Intense 5.5 EVP Build

Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
Intense 5.5 EVP Build

03.22.12:

So its nice to see a lot of Taco owners into Mtn Biking. While there are good Mtn Bike sites out there, I spend most of my time here, so I thought I'd share with y'all. I've been collecting parts for a while and only recently have started the assembly.

Started with a used frame/fork from a local mechanic.

Intense tires and tubes

Azonic Outlaw wheelset

Loaded Handlebars & Stem, Race Face Stainless DH headset & Hope goodies

Seat & Seatpost

Sram X0 drivetrain with Race Face cranks & Crank Bros pedals

Hope Tech M4 brakes with floating rotors and braided lines

Started Build 12/31/11

Pressing in bottom S/S cup

Both cups seated

Installing race on forks with plastic tube

Loaded Stem (will trim steerer tube very last)

Loaded Handlebars in place

Installed tires & rotors

Race Face External BB installed

Wheels in place, went with front 20mm Maxle and std QR in rear

But the 2.35 tires have very little mud clearance

New 2.10 Velociraptors on order as well as new wrenches to install rest of the Race Face crankset.

New tires arrived and I installed them this weekend. Better clearance!

Also got some big ass crank arm wrenches to finish up the Race Face install.

Update: 03.02.12

Azonic poster for the Outlaw rims

Cranks, bash guard, rear derailleur and brakes installed

Sram XO rear derailleur

Race Face cranks with Salsa bash guard and Crank bros pedals

Marking the steerer tube for cutting

Locating the cut about an 1/8" below scratch line

Cut progress

I deburred the inside and outside of tube and reinstalled stem

Top of tube sits slightly shallow of top of stem

Hope Head Doctor

Head Doctor installed

Bars were a little too long, so I marked the ends for trimming

End cut before deburring

Deburred end and Hope Grip Doctor

Grips and Grip Doctor in place

Hope Tech brake lever installed

Rock Shox Pike remote lock out

I had to file the housing mounts to fit the Sram ferrules

Ferrule test fitting

That's about it so far, I have to route all my cables and set up my brakes. I'm having a bit of an issue right now with my rotors nicking my brake mounting adapters, I may end up taking a little material off the mounting adapters.

Finally got around to finishing it up.
I had issues with the Azonic wheels not lining up true in the frame or forks. With the Maxle front, I finally fabricated a washer to insert on the disc side that fit into the recess of the Pike shocks.
I installed and routed all the cables.

After everything was in place, I bleed the Tech levers and M4 Hope brakes then centralized the pistons about the discs.
Sorry no picts, was in the zone about finishing it all up.

Finally took the beast out for its virgin ride.

In the driveway:

On the trail headed to the local summit:

On summit:

Detail of summit with Adirondacks in background:

I didn't get too crazy this time out as the brakes hadn't bed in yet, but all worked great!
I locked out both the forks and rear suspension for the climb and let her loose for the decent, plush yet agile !
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
sick man im diggin the color scheme!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post

looks pricey
I was thinking the same thing. Nice build
Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Nice build
Well....that's why it took so long. I had a second job doing construction just to pay for a lot of it. Since I have 7" of rear travel in my old Mantra I didn't need to bust this out in a hurry. I did a lot of waiting until stuff went on sale. I also didn't want to skimp, as I had been dreaming about this for a long time.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great! The red anno components are tastey and those Hope brakes are awesome. Kingdom trails look out.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Looks great! The red anno components are tastey and those Hope brakes are awesome. Kingdom trails look out.
My son & I already have a spring camping trip up there planned.
Locally I help build trails at the Pine Hill park.
Check out some sick bridges..
http://www.pinehillpark.org/php/Pine...k_Welcome.html

Thanks for looking !!!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
very nice!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Lookn good Charles and the bridges at Pine Hill are most impressive. Don't think I've seen composite materials used in a park before, looks built to last.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #10

We have a little of everything depending on the application and cuts involved. The trickier ones are made of pressure treated lumber. I'm tempted to head out there tomorrow as it may finally make it out of the teens....brrr
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
misterdmac is on a distinguished road

Name: Doostin
misterdmac's Tacoma Gallery
That looks great bro. Gets me really stoked to throw my tax refund into a new 29'er.

Do you always run those tires or were they just lying around? I couldn't stand the VelociRaptors that came on a Gary Fisher I had. Too much resistance, and they didn't really make up for it traction-wise. Decent for mud thought which I guess ya'll have quite a bit of up there in the spring. Can't say enough about Maxxis though, I run High Rollers and love them for an all purpose tread.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post

looks pricey

agree, very nice build.

kinda curious though, how much did this whole build run you?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdmac View Post
That looks great bro. Gets me really stoked to throw my tax refund into a new 29'er.

Do you always run those tires or were they just lying around? I couldn't stand the VelociRaptors that came on a Gary Fisher I had. Too much resistance, and they didn't really make up for it traction-wise. Decent for mud thought which I guess ya'll have quite a bit of up there in the spring. Can't say enough about Maxxis though, I run High Rollers and love them for an all purpose tread.
^^ I'll have to try the High Rollers out. Those VelociRaptors are new, hadn't run the rear before. But I have had good success with the Smoke/Dart combo as well as Hutchinson's "On the Rocks" rear specific. These were close to those in tread pattern. I change tires out quite a bit for weather and terrain. These are for the soft tight singletrack around here. In the picture..the yellow ones, Hutchinson's Pythons are what I run 95% of the time on my Mantra. This is my current stack, I know I have more tires laying around somewhere. The green ones, Michelin Wild Grippers are wicked fast. I do have a tendency to pick tires with high edge knobs. I steer a lot with the rear tire, digging into the corners .

These are what I'm running right now for the winter on the Mantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
agree, very nice build.

kinda curious though, how much did this whole build run you?
^^ Thanks, I have never added it up. Kinda scared to. If the wife ever asks, I can honestly say, I don't know.
Ballpark figure..a couple hundred, give or take a few G's
Old 02-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
OP you have some serious bikes, I like your style!! I am looking to getting a new bike. I have no idea what to get, I am going full suspension. I have looked at some Specialized. I now have an old Killer V900.... I am talking old.....
Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 186000mps View Post
^^ I'll have to try the High Rollers out. Those VelociRaptors are new, hadn't run the rear before. But I have had good success with the Smoke/Dart combo as well as Hutchinson's "On the Rocks" rear specific. These were close to those in tread pattern. I change tires out quite a bit for weather and terrain. These are for the soft tight singletrack around here. In the picture..the yellow ones, Hutchinson's Pythons are what I run 95% of the time on my Mantra. This is my current stack, I know I have more tires laying around somewhere. The green ones, Michelin Wild Grippers are wicked fast. I do have a tendency to pick tires with high edge knobs. I steer a lot with the rear tire, digging into the corners .

These are what I'm running right now for the winter on the Mantra

^^ Thanks, I have never added it up. Kinda scared to. If the wife ever asks, I can honestly say, I don't know.
Ballpark figure..a couple hundred, give or take a few G's

haha thats how i am about my truck and how i was about my dirtbike. ill never add it up again!!but i dont have a wife hot on my trail if i spend all my money either

just by having that many tires shows your dedication! do you have ant action shots of you riding?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #17

Thanks guys
Haven't had any pictures taken in a while. Sounds like a good idea though, I'll see what I can do come spring time. No one will go out riding with my crazy ass in the winter.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
my ride is pretty cool too, but VERY different.

independent fabrications steel crown jewel 29'r
Single Speed 32x18
carbon rigid PACE fork