Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

85 Xtra Cab: Linked, Tons, 42's

Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Stretch will become famous soon enough

Stretch's Tacoma Gallery
85 Xtra Cab: Linked, Tons, 42's

Been building this thing since July '10. Picked it up for $400 out of a parking lot. Some kid had bought it for $2700 3 years before and let it sit in his apartment complex parking lot.

A little timeline to where it is now. Looking back...I mangled a really clean truck. booyang :drinkers:

Brought it home, cleaned it up and sold the 33" ThornTurds in favor of some 36" Iroks.

Welded the rear, put an Aussie Locker in the front and went to Harlan for the ECORS KOH Qualifier a week later. All downhill from there. How it sat before we left for Harlan.

Came back, bobbed the bed and installed some stock duals.

Flatbelly and duals

Grenaded a birf, hated the crappy lift springs in the front, rebuilt the whole front end with Nitro 30splines and rears up front

Added a few leafs to the front pack, trimmed the fenders...snow wheelin' season.

Rear Bumper build...wanted something that could take a hit but not be wicked heavy. I drive by braille.

Started the rear section of the cage and rear shock hoops

Some LED Bling so I could cruise it around town...

Traded for some 38" TSL's and TN CUT em...

HefnerAB and I making the Seat frame and trans tunnel for the corbeaus...Our buddy Sam giving the approval and drinking beer.

Flopped a bunch more times...figured a fuel cell and finishing my cage would be a good idea.

Got bored with the Toyota stuff...wanted to try something different so cut apart a perfectly good working truck back at the beginning of November and have been putting it back together as parts show up.

Re-Build
4.56 Geared Chevy 60 Front Miller Locked
4.56 Geared 14 Bolt Miller Locked with an M&M Offroad Truss and RuffStuff Bracketry
Dual Triangulated 4 Link
2.0 16" Travel Sway-A-Way AirShocks
42" Tennessee Cut TSL's
22r Propane Kit

Re-Assembly

Rear Links done....Hefnerab giving the BudLightExcersiseBike Salute
Finished and sitting at full bump...

A few more pictures of the rear 14Bolt DIY truss kit from PJ at M&M. Pretty killer truss for money and a lot more surface to weld to the axle tubes than most standard bent plate trusses.

Links are 2" .250 wall lowers with 1-1/4 Heims and 1.75" .120 wall uppers with 7/8 heims.

Milled down dually hubs thanks to Cole

Orbital mounted

Hydro ram and tie rod in place

Back together ready for plumbing and exhaust work.

Got it on my trailer now and its off to get the 4.56 gears in the 14 Bolt tomorrow. Shooting to have it finished up next week sometime then back into the shop to build a winch bumper and mess around with the new roll bender.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery

Nice work, I think you might rub a bit though
Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Silver Member
SilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverBullet07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
SilverBullet07's Tacoma Gallery
I like your toys.... looks like you've put alot of hard work into them!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Baller! Looks awesome man, I dig!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
DAMN i bet that thing is a beast off road. nice dude
Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
damn nice, youre gonna run circles round my mess all day long!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #7

Stretch's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. It's definitely a work in progress. Still have a good bit left to finish. Winch, front bumper, driveshafts, plumb the brakes and full hydro.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
jesus mother of lanta thats a beaut!

what gears you got in this beast?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

Stretch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
jesus mother of lanta thats a beaut!

what gears you got in this beast?
Hahah. yeah its a wee big. Ive tried to keep it as low as possible. Most 1 ton swapped trucks I've seen look like sky scrapers. Used the same spring packs as I had when I was on 38's and built the rear links accordingly. Only difference in height is from the tire diameter.

Gears are 4.56's welded front and rear and dual gear driven Toy Cases.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Im diggin it, its pretty sweet.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #13

Stretch's Tacoma Gallery
Done-ish...still need to do the tube work for the front bumper but its wheelable again.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
kfgk14 is on a distinguished road
Name: Killian
kfgk14's Tacoma Gallery
You abuse that truck enough?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #16

Stretch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfgk14 View Post
You abuse that truck enough?
I blame it on my lack of skill behind the wheel. Pin it to win it is pretty much how I drive.

From this weekend's shakedown run.

Got a new high output steering pump on the way from Trail-Gear. Stock one just couldnt keep up with the needs of the full hydro system. It would get hot and lock up from time to time.

Hopefully I will have that in and tested soon.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I blame it on my lack of skill behind the wheel. Pin it to win it is pretty much how I drive.
so Justin taught you to drive?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #18

Stretch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
so Justin taught you to drive?
Throttle is like an on off switch.

Cranked this out with the night off work...still needs some gussets and tube caps.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #19

Stretch's Tacoma Gallery
A little update...been out with the rig twice now. Upgraded to the Trail-Gear Full Hydro Steering Pump and a bigger -10AN feed line from the reservoir. Makes a world of difference. It will steer these 42's now with one finger at idle. It cruises through town pretty damn smooth too. The hydro is pretty predictable and not too quick for hotlaps to the bar. The truck needs a sway bar in the back, but I'll get to that. For now it works well. Just leans like a mofo in the corners.

Front end "done"...still need some tube caps and gussets.

New auxiliary fuse panel

New switch panel with room for when I add the electric fan and a power outlet for the Ipod

Winch is wired in too. Hid the solenoid box under the hood and ran the controller into the glove box.

I feel a lot more comfortable with all of the lights and accessories on their own circuits now. The engine bay and battery terminal is cleaned up too now that it doesnt have 40 different connectors and in line fuses running through there. Except the winch leads replaced that old glob of wiring with a new one. :lol:
Old 03-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit balls I just came!