LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

Heather's 92 Pickup Build

Old 04-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Heather
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
Wow, what a fantastic transformation of a rather average starting truck. It makes me want to try it myself. Did you do all that work yourself? If so, where and how did you gain those skills?
First, welcome to TW! Thanks! I highly recommend building up a truck as a hobby. It is so much fun...There are tons of accessories and parts available for Toyotas. I did most of the work myself and with help from others. I am still building my tool collection, so I need to borrow tools and knowledge from friends sometimes. Also, I am pretty small, so I often need someone stronger to help me break loose and tighten up bolts.

I have gained all my skills from reading on here and another Toyota forum. Also, I can't stand to pay someone to work on my truck. I started out with easy stuff: When I had my 2008 Tacoma, I added an aftermarket grill, a brush guard and an aftermarket air filter. That is how I got hooked, now I can't stop...
Old 04-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #22
bajaracer is on a distinguished road
Name: Charly
bajaracer's Tacoma Gallery
i love your truck,,, i had an 89 just like it, same color and graphics. it had 6" lift on 33's with 15x12 alcoas and a xhrome lower valance from a 4runner. Imis it a lot, wish i never sold it.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaracer View Post
i love your truck,,, i had an 89 just like it, same color and graphics. it had 6" lift on 33's with 15x12 alcoas and a xhrome lower valance from a 4runner. Imis it a lot, wish i never sold it.
Nice! Sounds like you had a good looking truck.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #24
Hug balls bitch
big dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
big dog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
Yeah, Right Channel Radios has good prices and awesome customer service. I'm pretty big on requiring good customer service from companies I order from these days.

Thanks! It is a great project and I just order up parts when I have extra money. To get a good deal on one of the older pickups, I suggest checking craigslist regularly or asking any friends or neighbors that have an old one sitting around if they want to sell.

The Rough Country lift works great. There are very few lifts for these trucks on the market. BDS makes a lift too. It is more expensive, but might be a better way to go. We had to do a bit of extra fab work to make the Rough Country work. The sway bar brackets weren't even close--so I just removed the sway bar for good. (I can't tell the difference anyway.) Some of the bolts were only grade 5 and I wanted grade 8, so we had to make a few trips to the hardware store. Also, the kit was missing some of the bolts. Some of the directions were out of order, but it worked out OK because I was easy to catch where the problems would have arose. In short, the lift looks good and seems high quality, but the fit and finish of the install wasn't the best.

As for the dual steering shocks--I love them. They make it so that the steering wheel is much less jerky when taking the truck off road. On road, it makes turning a little more difficult. Overall I would recommend them though!

Yeah I got the pro comp 4" stage 2 and I ran into some of the same problems but with a cutting wheel 12 hours of laying on the ground and some hard work it was worth it I saved 500 bucks I got my lift from 4 wheel parts and just from asking I got a 180 off
Old 04-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by big dog View Post
Yeah I got the pro comp 4" stage 2 and I ran into some of the same problems but with a cutting wheel 12 hours of laying on the ground and some hard work it was worth it I saved 500 bucks I got my lift from 4 wheel parts and just from asking I got a 180 off
A good discount always makes a little extra hard work worth it! I experienced lots of time and injuries with a cutting wheel to get the lift installed too...
Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #26
Hug balls bitch
big dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shedbig dog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

big dog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A good discount always makes a little extra hard work worth it! I experienced lots of time and injuries with a cutting wheel to get the lift installed too...

I love my truck but I kind of wish it was red like yours
Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #27
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like the white! I have been considering getting mine painted white, blue or gray. But, that would be a lot of money just for aesthetics...

So, did you get a Trail Gear bumper ordered up yet? I found the cheapest I could get was thru Addicted Offroad...$30 bucks cheaper than from Trail Gear directly!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also, after looking at your truck... I want my windows tinted now...
Old 04-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #29
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Painting is fun

What do you both run for the rear? the blocks that come with the kits? any idea if you can eliminate the rear lift portion of the kits when buying them? If I were to do the DP lift I think I would want to put Chevys on the rear
Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by valon5150 View Post
Painting is fun

What do you both run for the rear? the blocks that come with the kits? any idea if you can eliminate the rear lift portion of the kits when buying them? If I were to do the DP lift I think I would want to put Chevys on the rear
I just looked at your build. I love that green color, and it looks really good.

I am running the four inch blocks that came with the kit and some lift shackles. It is pretty raked right now. Four inch blocks seems excessive, so I could switch to 2 inch blocks with the shackles and it would be leveled out. I figured if I had issues off roading I would look into traction bars. But, so far it hasn't been an issue. I have heard that people run different leaf packs in the rear as you mentioned. I would guess that would change the ride from stock, but I don't know much about running those...
Old 04-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #31
Hug balls bitch

big dog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Painting is fun

Yes for another 175 you can get a leaf pack that will lift it the same as the blocks and 4 wheel parts will give you 60 bucks for your unused rear blocks but I didn't have an extra 110 dollars at that time but I will be getting them eventually
Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #32
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes for another 175 you can get a leaf pack that will lift it the same as the blocks and 4 wheel parts will give you 60 bucks for your unused rear blocks but I didn't have an extra 110 dollars at that time but I will be getting them eventually
Good to know! I might look into that eventually too.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #33
Hug balls bitch

big dog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like the white! I have been considering getting mine painted white, blue or gray. But, that would be a lot of money just for aesthetics...

So, did you get a Trail Gear bumper ordered up yet? I found the cheapest I could get was thru Addicted Offroad...$30 bucks cheaper than from Trail Gear directly!

No not yet I just dropped 300 for my sliders I'm trying to see If I will have enough money to get it next month and still afford to go to moab thanks for the info on the cheaper price I don't know how they can do it for that cheap and be that badass
Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #34
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No not yet I just dropped 300 for my sliders I'm trying to see If I will have enough money to get it next month and still afford to go to moab thanks for the info on the cheaper price I don't know how they can do it for that cheap and be that badass
Sweet! What sliders did you go with?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #35

Quote:
I just looked at your build. I love that green color, and it looks really good.

I am running the four inch blocks that came with the kit and some lift shackles. It is pretty raked right now. Four inch blocks seems excessive, so I could switch to 2 inch blocks with the shackles and it would be leveled out. I figured if I had issues off roading I would look into traction bars. But, so far it hasn't been an issue. I have heard that people run different leaf packs in the rear as you mentioned. I would guess that would change the ride from stock, but I don't know much about running those...

Thank you, up close it isn't that great of a paint job. But someday it will be just a trail rig so i'll deal with it.

You may want to look into new leafs instead of traction bars, even with bars the shackle and block combo will eventually flatten your leafs. If you get good ones they will eliminate axle wrap, and unless you go with a heavy duty high spring rate one you will end up with a nice smooth ride in the rear
Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #36
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you, up close it isn't that great of a paint job. But someday it will be just a trail rig so i'll deal with it.

You may want to look into new leafs instead of traction bars, even with bars the shackle and block combo will eventually flatten your leafs. If you get good ones they will eliminate axle wrap, and unless you go with a heavy duty high spring rate one you will end up with a nice smooth ride in the rear
Well, the paint looks bad ass in pictures! haha

Yeah, someday I'll look into new leafs. They are 20 years old and probably need to be replaced anyway...
Old 04-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #37
Hug balls bitch

big dog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sweet! What sliders did you go with?

One of my fellow Vegas Tw members made them for me there hybrid he is DonnoD he can probably make you some for 350 but shipping would probably kill you LOL
Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #38
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One of my fellow Vegas Tw members made them for me there hybrid he is DonnoD he can probably make you some for 350 but shipping would probably kill you LOL
That's cool. I'd always rather have homemade style stuff, rather than mass produced parts. Shipping is ridiculous these days though--and it keeps going up!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #39

Homemade armor is the best You should find some wheelers in your area that do a lot of their own fab work see if they are willing to build a set. Sliders are relatively quick and easy. I'll be making a friend some for his 10' standard cab soon and for materials it will be less then $150. If you can find good steel at scrap yards it will drop the price dramatically. I built mine for probably around $60 cause all the steel was from a scrap yard
Old 04-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #40
Twilightmist
Catwoman is on a distinguished road

Name: Lori
Catwoman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
First, welcome to TW! Thanks! I highly recommend building up a truck as a hobby. It is so much fun...There are tons of accessories and parts available for Toyotas. I did most of the work myself and with help from others. I am still building my tool collection, so I need to borrow tools and knowledge from friends sometimes. Also, I am pretty small, so I often need someone stronger to help me break loose and tighten up bolts.

I have gained all my skills from reading on here and another Toyota forum. Also, I can't stand to pay someone to work on my truck. I started out with easy stuff: When I had my 2008 Tacoma, I added an aftermarket grill, a brush guard and an aftermarket air filter. That is how I got hooked, now I can't stop...
Thanks for the welcome. I totally agree about the "I can't stand to have someone else working on my truck/car". Other people seem to mess up even simple oil changes!! My Acura is leaking oil now after an oil change, and it just seems like the only person you can trust to do it right is yourself. But living in California made it tough for me to do that, as the condo association I lived in forbade working on cars in your own driveway. Now that I finally have a house, I can start getting the tools I need. First is a simple floor jack and jack stands!!!

Thanks for the tips, I am very impressed with your work. Ditto on the "I need help with someone stronger" comment you made; I am also a woman and my upper body strength is lacking.

I don't have a Tacoma yet, hence my comment about future green build. I do have a Subaru Forester though, which has AWD. Funny, it gets about 22 mpg, which is only about 2 mpg better than the truck.... Anyway, I put all terrain tires on it, and tinted the windows. It IS fun to mod the car/truck, and it will be a blast to learn how to do some of it myself. You have definitely inspired me to do that!