Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

kcbmx's 1984 Toyota 4x4 build

Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

Firefighter: Hotshot
Name: Marco
kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
kcbmx's 1984 Toyota 4x4 build

Please feel free to share anything on these older trucks as im trying to find out where to start.

So i picked this old hunk of junk from an older gentleman who put it up for sale down the street from my house.
Got it for 550 with a blown engine ( i still dont know whats wrong with it)

1984 4x4 SR5 straight axle! No mods at all
Over 300k
No rust, a few small dents here and there.
ugly silver stripe

To do:
get the damn thing running
Battery
new bed
new drivers fender
new drivers door
paint
herculine inner fender walls and bed

My engine was toast, cylinder 1 and 2 had 120 psi, cyl 3 had 90, and 4 had 0. I had coolant in the oil and it was filthy, figured it was time to retire this old horse.

Picked this 22r down south from a wrecking yard, I was told it had 87k motor is in great condition minus bad carb with lots of compression and no leaks.

Phase 2
Borrowed an Engine hoist and a pressure washer and got some work done.
Found out the old 22r had a piston blown up in cyl 4, maybe that explains the 0 lbs lol.

Before, this was clutered with oil and dirt.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
thats an awsome deal!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post

Subbed
Old 03-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
go with a webber carb, makes a HUGE difference, i just added one to my 84
Old 03-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
The Polar Bear
Devux is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Devux's Tacoma Gallery
That is a screamin' deal, even with the engine being shot. Love the 80's Toyotas, it was just a truck, enough to get the job done, no extra fluff. What are the plans for the engine? Rebuild? Crate?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
doing my thing.
kcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to beholdkcbmx is a splendid one to behold

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devux View Post
That is a screamin' deal, even with the engine being shot. Love the 80's Toyotas, it was just a truck, enough to get the job done, no extra fluff. What are the plans for the engine? Rebuild? Crate?
I bought a used engine with 87k trying to get it running good before i start upgrading other stuff.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
The Polar Bear

Devux's Tacoma Gallery
Completely missed that part in your first post, keep us updated on the progress with the engine and build!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerretxx View Post
go with a webber carb, makes a HUGE difference, i just added one to my 84
I think i am once i get it out of my dads shop. Have you looked into any headers, I was thinking about the north west off road header but at $520 its kinda out of the question for now.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
The Polar Bear

Devux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbmx View Post
I think i am once i get it out of my dads shop. Have you looked into any headers, I was thinking about the north west off road header but at $520 its kinda out of the question for now.
Way too expensive, I am not familiar with the layout of the engine compartment, or how much room is available. But have you given any thought to making or having made custom headers? Any performance shop should be able to do it for cheaper than $520.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devux View Post
Way too expensive, I am not familiar with the layout of the engine compartment, or how much room is available. But have you given any thought to making or having made custom headers? Any performance shop should be able to do it for cheaper than $520.
Not a bad idea, theres plenty of room to work with in these old trucks lol
Old 03-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Got it running today! drove it around the block, still need to fine tune somethings before i call it good on the engine.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
lately the truck has been running like crap and i was getting worried the carb was going bad. Well it turns out that the distributor cap on the new engine was corroded and therefore the the truck was running on 3 cyls. Fixed now and ive been having a blast mobbing this thing around town. These 22r's are pretty peppy for their size if i may say.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
No, you may not say. Why are you hiding your projects from me?

Where's your 2nd gen at now?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber Bill View Post
No, you may not say. Why are you hiding your projects from me?

Where's your 2nd gen at now?
Bahaha Will you know im always up to something!
2nd gen is sitting outside, did the 886 reverse light mod today.
You never told me about your roof light bar, WTF WIll lol
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bahaha Will you know im always up to something!
2nd gen is sitting outside, did the 886 reverse light mod today.
You never told me about your roof light bar, WTF WIll lol
How's the 886 light mod compare to stock? Does it make a noticeable difference?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber Bill View Post
How's the 886 light mod compare to stock? Does it make a noticeable difference?
Yes it does, I used to have to turn on my bed light to back into my rear drive way and now i dont, big difference for 15 bucks lol
Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #19
doing my thing.

kcbmx's Tacoma Gallery
this guys truck is pretty much dead onwhat im going for ,exept 32s, 3 inch lift, and stock front bumper. Got to love the sr5 graphics.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #20
The Polar Bear

Devux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
this guys truck is pretty much dead onwhat im going for ,exept 32s, 3 inch lift, and stock front bumper. Got to love the sr5 graphics.
Nice!