Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

GoufCustom's 1990 NA Miata Refurb Build

Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
GoufCustom's 1990 NA Miata Refurb Build

I have had the itch to get a manual car and something with a soft top. So I finally found something that the wife would give the green light to. A 1990 Mazda Miata with 106k miles on it, a 1.6L Manual Trans Rear wheel drive go cart.

So some terrible pictures from the wholesaler place I got it:

Now the work begins:

The cam shaft gasket was completely hardened, like a rock, so that got replaced, hopefully no more oil leaking all over the place.

Off to the junk yard for some parts

Did an oil change, ran some Sea Foam through it, and installed a radio (it didn't have one at all...)

To Be Done:
Trans Flush
Diff Flush
Brakes - Rotors/Pads/Fluid
Ball Joint Boots
New Top
Remove Driver Seat (bolts are rusted through...)
Paint it
Paint Wheels
New Passenger Front Wheel Bearing
New Spark Plugs and Wires

OTHER
Old 04-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
To be continued...
Gorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gorillazrus's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like its gona be a fun project. A friend of mine had one of these cars and it could be a blast to drive.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
To be continued...
Gorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yeh paint can be one of those things that can turns out really good or look like crap, so decisions , decisions.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I'd try a deep cut polish, it might brighten right up....
Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
fuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to beholdfuzz master is a splendid one to behold
fuzz master's Tacoma Gallery
matte black ...never have to polish it after that
Old 04-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
To be continued...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
I'd try a deep cut polish, it might brighten right up....
Looking at the pics I would defiantly try this first, you just might be suprised.

Course if that didn't work theres always plasti dip
Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a perfect candidate for a 5.0 conversion.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I'd pick up a HVLP paint gun and teach myself to paint on a project car like that. Obviously give the polish a try first since it's cheap and might work out but that seems like a good vehicle to learn to paint on.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Ok So I have looked at all of these photos. I love the car and hope you have a lot of fun with it. But from the photos I've seen it looks like you are doing this job in a very Cramped 1 car garage. I also think that I have seen all three walls of the garage so now I have to ask. Where the Heck is your Tool Chest
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
Ok So I have looked at all of these photos. I love the car and hope you have a lot of fun with it. But from the photos I've seen it looks like you are doing this job in a very Cramped 1 car garage. I also think that I have seen all three walls of the garage so now I have to ask. Where the Heck is your Tool Chest
Lol, yep, I am in a townhouse, with a 1 car garage, and it is cramped, but the car is soooo small it doesnt much matter. The tool chest is up near the door into the house, I will try to get a picture of it next time I am taking some. I put the top on the frame in my living room. But it isnt as bad as you would think, I cant do work on my truck in this garage, I use a friends, but this car is really small. Also, my tool chest isnt huge, but I have managed to only need to buy a few things that I should have had, and then rented a few tools from the local store, things I only plan to use once.

Wish I had a bigger air compressor too, I have a ~3 gallon pancake compressor, so no impact or air ratcher. And my finishing nailer is basically useless for this project...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'd pick up a HVLP paint gun and teach myself to paint on a project car like that. Obviously give the polish a try first since it's cheap and might work out but that seems like a good vehicle to learn to paint on.
That is the plan, it is a perfect car to learn on, and, my neighbor just bought a large compressor and is actually planning to buy a paint gun soon, so I may just need to buy the paint and then turn my garage into a paint booth...
Old 06-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #15
7.62x63mm

Toolbox!

Last photo of it before I took it apart for the bushings.

I bought the Energy Suspension Master Bushing Kit, and I almost have the entire thing installed.

The Front - I had to cut the lower eccentric bolts out with a sawzall.

New Bushings

Catch Can Installed

I am waiting on a new set of eccentric bolts (all 8) and then just need to put the new bushings in the Diff and put it all back together. At the same time change the fuel filter, and check the torque on everything... and a quick trip to get it aligned.

Next project it new belts, timing, alternator, power steering, then new front crank seal, drill out the front seat driver side seat bolts, and replace the inner and outer shifter boots and change the turret oil. I also need to adjust the clutch and the hood latch.

After all of that it will be time to paint.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That looks like a lot of fun. There is something to be said about driving a car that you have put that kind of effort into.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #17
7.62x63mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
That looks like a lot of fun. There is something to be said about driving a car that you have put that kind of effort into.
Very true, it has been fun, the only part that sucks is knowing that I have more into this car than it will ever be worth, that has been a big sticking point for me, spent $2500 on the car, and have almost $2000 in parts, and most of it has been just replacing stuff that was worn or broken, nothing performance. But having done all the work myself I am saving money, doing it right, learning stuff (I have never done anything like this before), and having fun.

I also started this because the car developed a clunk when turning in the front passenger suspension, or atleast that is where I think it was, and I think the bushings were bad and the eccentric bolts were worn/stretched out, so this should get rid of the clunk, and give me a much better ride. Just wish I had the money for some springs and shocks, the front ones need to be replaced, but I am out of money for this build for the summer.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #18

I am in the same boat as you I picked up a 2000 Celica for $3k and I have prolly dropped over 2k in parts and labor. I wasn't going to attempt repairing the AC myself. It is a fun car to drive. I know I have more money in it than it is worth but I can't stop. Now I want the windows tinted. I would also like to replace my struts all the way around.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
7.62x63mm

I got a new fuel filter in it, all of the bushings are in, everything is torqued to spec, and it is back on the ground and drivable. It needs an alignment badly, but I did take it out for a drive and no clunk, so far so good. Once I get it aligned I will beat on it a little more and make sure all is good.

Now to clean up the garage, have a beer, and enjoy the weekend. Oh and replace the shifter oil and boots, but that is easy compared to what I just did. Also might finally set the clock on the new radio...