Kermit the XJ: Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #1721
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
it was a 2000 w/ 133,xxx miles. there were a lot of other things that i wasn't stoked on... i'll def keep looking around. i'm liking this one here. gonna call the dealer up tomorrow and offer $5,500 cash OTD... see if they bite

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=21&Log=0

good to know. thanks
That's really clean looking.

And yes, what flawed said. I did the same, but broke some shit before upgrading
Old 04-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #1722
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
yeah man, i really like that one

what's the best bang for buck steering upgrade and control arm upgrade? i'm by no means going to go crazy building this thing up right now but i'm going to put some money into it
Old 04-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #1723
Nah Bitch Dragoons
JeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
JeepAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

what's the best bang for buck steering upgrade and control arm upgrade? i'm by no means going to go crazy building this thing up right now but i'm going to put some money into it
Here's my $0.02: Steering would be Currie, around $400. The rod ends that come with the kit are massive, and the tie rod and drag link are around an inch in diameter. Really beefy! For control arms, Rubicon Express are awesome! They make adjustable as well as fixed length, and come with either Heim Joint ends or standard ends with poly bushings, both type greaseable.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #1724
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I beefed mine up with Iron Rock Offroad. Basically, I didn't foresee doing anything extremely hardcore, so the ones I went with are just below 1-ton specs. But are close. JCR has a 1-ton steering upgrade as well and currie is a good choice. For control arms, make sure you think if you are going to do long arms or not. It's a bit pricey upgrade, but well worth it. If not then get some adjustable rubicon express ones. Adjustable so thataway you don't have to buy new ones if your suspension/lift ever changes. Stock ones are good for 3-3.5" of lift though. I'm still running my stock ones...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAndrew View Post
Here's my $0.02: Steering would be Currie, around $400. The rod ends that come with the kit are massive, and the tie rod and drag link are around an inch in diameter. Really beefy! For control arms, Rubicon Express are awesome! They make adjustable as well as fixed length, and come with either Heim Joint ends or standard ends with poly bushings, both type greaseable.
Definitely do grease-able. Biggest thing I'd say, is at least upgrade the tie-rod because they are stupid weak
Old 04-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #1725
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Chris4x4 should be joining this BS thread soon....

He's going to get a 4door jk rubicon
Old 04-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #1726
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
What is this world coming to?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #1727
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
meh i've known he's wanted one for a while...
Old 04-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #1728
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAndrew View Post
I've pieced together my stuff so far. I've got a rustys Tie rod. It's 1.50"x.25" tube with some big ass ends.

I've got the rough country x-flex short arms. The flex like crazy. They are the johnny joint style. I can articulate with the best of them. So much that I'm destroying my fenders (I need to trim a bit more and get longer bump stops).

dat flex

Old 04-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #1729
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedXJ View Post
I've pieced together my stuff so far. I've got a rustys Tie rod. It's 1.50"x.25" tube with some big ass ends.

I've got the rough country x-flex short arms. The flex like crazy. They are the johnny joint style. I can articulate with the best of them. So much that I'm destroying my fenders (I need to trim a bit more and get longer bump stops).
Do they sell the LCAs separately or only with their kit?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #1730

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Do they sell the LCAs separately or only with their kit?
they used to, you can always call and ask. I actually got my tom woods from them by calling them directly. It was about 75 bucks cheaper from them and they give JF members a 10% discount if you order by phone.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #1731
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting...it's down the road. I still need a new tracbar...so that's my next purchase on the steering/suspension front. Then odds are:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16312_102_07.htm
Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #1732

yep, same joints as mine. Thats really what makes the differences on xj's. Can't really get all funky with the shapes of the control arms like the JK's do.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #1733
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I'd imagine aside from the increase in articulation, the ride quality would improve too..
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #1734

Quote:
Yeah I'd imagine aside from the increase in articulation, the ride quality would improve too..
Ehh...No matter what control arms you get, as long as they are short arm you are still going to be feeling everything at your feet. I need to rebuild my joints already. I've got maybe 1500 miles (all off roading though and driving to go offroading) on them and my driver side upper needs rebuilding. I'm blaming that on submerging them though.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #1735
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think I need bump stops....or more trimming

sorry for the monster size.
bumps
those fenders are hacked to all hell
Old 04-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #1736

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
bumps
those fenders are hacked to all hell
who do you think you are?!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #1737
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jonny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
who do you think you are?!
haha
don't worry... seriously though about hacking my ZJ fenders after my 3.5" kit and throwing on 35's..
then thought... will keep it clean and simple until my first flop...
then hack it all !
Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #1738
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ehh...No matter what control arms you get, as long as they are short arm you are still going to be feeling everything at your feet. I need to rebuild my joints already. I've got maybe 1500 miles (all off roading though and driving to go offroading) on them and my driver side upper needs rebuilding. I'm blaming that on submerging them though.
Well true, I mean its a jeep. It's still probably an improvement over stock.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #1739
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny View Post
haha
don't worry... seriously though about hacking my ZJ fenders after my 3.5" kit and throwing on 35's..
then thought... will keep it clean and simple until my first flop...
then hack it all !
I said the same thing...all I was going to do was lift it mildly and put 31s on it...annnnnd look where we are now
Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #1740

jonny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I said the same thing...all I was going to do was lift it mildly and put 31s on it...annnnnd look where we are now
....you're still mildly lifted on 31's
haha jk

Products Discussed in this Thread