Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

92 Long Travel Pickup Build

Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #62
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnphoto View Post
Thanks for stopping by guys! Really appreciate it!
My first response was nice, you kept with the name calling. Your lucky the other members are more patient and still want to answer your questions. You will find acting like that won't get you very far, however taking criticism with a grain of salt and accepting advice will get you a ton of information here, as your later posts have done
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #63
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnphoto View Post
You know ill make it worth your while if i can snag those!!!
PM me when you have an offer homie

Until then, Under my bed they shal stay. Ill post up pics of them if you want.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #64
shawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
shawnphoto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJALLDAY702 View Post
PM me when you have an offer homie

Until then, Under my bed they shal stay. Ill post up pics of them if you want.
No worries keep em hidden for me
Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #65
shawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
My first response was nice, you kept with the name calling. Your lucky the other members are more patient and still want to answer your questions. You will find acting like that won't get you very far, however taking criticism with a grain of salt and accepting advice will get you a ton of information here, as your later posts have done
I didn't even respond to you... in any way shape or form.... like i said, thanks for stopping by!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #66
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoto View Post
In all seriousness yes I do. Ill tell you why. I don't think you understand how much stress is applied to a shackle and especially to the hanger. And that's because leaf springs are not just springs they are also what locates the axle, side to side and front to back. When you are driving especially while accelerating, braking, turning or articulating the rear axle wants to go all over the place. The only thing stopping that is the spring. Now think of the spring as a giant lever magnifying all that force into the hanger. Travel isn't the problem (the shackle pivoting soaks that up) its the side load and twisting action that the shackle and pivot get subjected to that starts breaking parts. These are all unseen forces that a fabricator has to think about, obviously yours didn't. Please don't use him again, he is not a fabricator, he is a guy that can kinda weld. Hope this helped
this is probably why your driveshaft is hitting the gas tank shawn.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #67
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #68
Supermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupermoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Landon
Supermoto's Tacoma Gallery
I little more tech stuff if you want to hear it: shackles are really only for one thing and its not to add travel or lift (if you use them otherwise it's just a bandaid) leaf springs change in lateral length. They get shorter at droop, longer close to bump (when they are flat) and a bit shorter at bump. The shackles only reason for existence is to accommodate that change in lateral length.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #69
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet looking little truck. Glad to see your taking sound advice from these guys, a lot of them can be great help, i have learned quite a bit from this place about yota's.

I have the same truck but its a 91 and am loving these little pickups. I prefer the pickup over my old tacoma for a build platform.

I'm also doing a fairly budgeted build as i have too many other projects.
Have you seen the giant shackle kit? I did the WIY shackle kit from GIANT for $75 and got some 59" leaf springs from a buddy.
If you get this shackle you'll want to add some simple angle plate to the outside as other people have bent this shackle and i'm lucky i haven't yet, I plan to re-inforce it soon.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #70
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87xjmike View Post
Sweet looking little truck. Glad to see your taking sound advice from these guys, a lot of them can be great help, i have learned quite a bit from this place about yota's.

I have the same truck but its a 91 and am loving these little pickups. I prefer the pickup over my old tacoma for a build platform.

I'm also doing a fairly budgeted build as i have too many other projects.
Have you seen the giant shackle kit? I did the WIY shackle kit from GIANT for $75 and got some 59" leaf springs from a buddy.
If you get this shackle you'll want to add some simple angle plate to the outside as other people have bent this shackle and i'm lucky i haven't yet, I plan to re-inforce it soon.

Careful with those shackles, the bottom of the box might hit the leafs at bump. I don't know how yours are setup, but mine did.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #71
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman117 View Post
Careful with those shackles, the bottom of the box might hit the leafs at bump. I don't know how yours are setup, but mine did.

Yeah of course mine did, i imagine they all do after dealing with this design, my solution was to just grind off about 2" of metal to right before and around the dimple circle, then i added angle for strenth.

as you can see on my axle tube, i'm finally able to hit my bumps now. feels way better than hitting that damn shackle.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #72
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
sweet build man! looks real good with the RED letter generals on it.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #73
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Digging the new sigpic
Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #74
finally build thread update:
learned a ton from everyone on here, thanks again for everyone's advice and i've met a lot of really cool people on here.
so heres what happened.. ballin on a budget, worked my ass off all summer, stacked and bought:
refurbished a total chaos full uniball kit and full subframe. bought all new hardware uniballs and heims for em, and replaced what wasn't with grade 8.
did a bunch of little things from motor mounts to rehanging all the glass, got rid of squeaks, put soundproofing (sort of ghetto but worked great, that roof sealant paper stuff with the foil backing. wont be doing it again though) .
got tired of the shitty paint, sanded it all down in front of my apartment building (orbital sander + block sanding, yes it sucked but it worked). mobbed around like a bro.

waited a few months until i got into a house and got myself a bike and saved up some money.
then went all out

painted it by hand with a foam roller... like a boss. $75 paint job

tested out the color of my front kit on the bedcage... decided to do it.
blang came and visited

got new rims and tires for a damn good deal. pro comp mt's, 33x12.5x15

aligning it by hand a million times trying to get rid of bump steer, good times. mobbed it to san diego, big bear, and back a bunch of times.

jumped it.

clapped out those 3 leaf springs finally. you guys were right about the shackles, ended up snapping the main leaf. surprisingly it took like 7 trips of mobbing hard haha.
installed some deaver f55's with total chaos shackles and mounts, etc etc. speedfreek did the welding.

made it look pretty again

posted it up for sale. after a few weeks of bros texting asking for trades and lowballs, a local guy hit me up offering me full asking price plus interest. we wrote up a contract, gave me 2k down, and i held on to the truck 'till he paid it off. this was well within the period we set forth so i drove down to san diego and delivered him the truck.

and that concludes the story of the single cab. i'm not really sure how i ended up on a tacoma forum, but i'm sure glad i did. i've made some really good friends through here and learned so much so quickly. huge thank you to everyone whos offered help in whatever form, all the san diego guys including jeff, landon, tyler, gary, the 805 homies such as blang, devin, anthony (both of them), jordan, and chris, and everyone else who has lended a tool or a hand and even a trailer! couldn't have done it without everyone's help.
its a trip to look at how far its come, and more importantly, how much i've learned.
november/2012

february/2014

now I got myself these:

i'm excited to watch the new truck progress, all whilst learning more and more. stoked to be doing my own work, and can't wait to make this thing a representation of the highest quality work i can do.
maybe some other day i'll get the inkling to make a new build thread...
Old 02-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #75
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Cool sub'd for the new build
Old 02-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #76
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
goodbye single cab
Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #77
U MAD? OH U MAD

I like the exit story to the single cab haha. Congrats man,
Old 02-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #78
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
more pics of new rig?!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #79
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Saw you driving in costco the other day. Truck looks good!