Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

92 Long Travel Pickup Build

Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
shawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
shawnphoto's Tacoma Gallery
92 Long Travel Pickup Build

Hey guys, figured it was time to make a build thread for my 1992 22re pickup. Heres the specs and some photos:

6" over, long travel front end, all custom with subframe
swayaway torsion bars
All pro long travel rear springs
16" race runner resi shocks
dual fox shocks and reservoirs up front
full tube cage in rear
bump stops
HID headlights
Roof rack with HID liights (5) (now 3 on bumper)
Hanneman 4in front fenders, flat top rear fenders, hood
Grant Steering wheel
CB and PA
6 17x8 wheels (steelies)
33" BFG Km2 mud terrains (In desperate need of a used tire to replace a baldie)
Magnaflow exhaust
SR5 seats (buckets soon hopefully)
shackles, mounts, and bumper w/skid

How she sits now

The day i traded for her

first bath

the lights

one of the first times at west, with anthony250f

getting towed down the mountain that night (fried maf sensor)

got racerunner 16 2.5 resis for a great deal

sketchy rain at west with a few members on here, still stock rear suspension

pulled valence and plasti dipped bumper

got tired of the clapped out gas shocks in the rear so i slap these in in my autoshop class for the time being. Jason aired me up all around to correct psi and she rode like a champ.

made worlds of difference, but still had similar droop and up travel

some more froadin

With the lights

pulled light bar, got rid of stupid 35" grabbers, now running bft mt km2s

built a bumper with zzr

zzr shackles and mounts, moved upper shock tabs, using full shaft now (strapped 1.5 inch short of full droop)

shooting at west

took it to pismo with everyone, did pretty good except for me forgetting to turn up my torsions and bottoming out on my glass a bit.

didnt get stuck too bad either which was awesome

got home to realize my transmission mount was barely hanging on haha
Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnphoto View Post
opinions on roof rack vs none?
Looks good both maybe daily driving keep it off and then when going offroad trip out it on
Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
^^^x2!!! And about time you did a build thread. I've been your truck for a while I have a 92 that I'm going to get from my grandpa once I transfer back down to the states. Pretty much much want to do what you have done to it.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Am I looking at these pictures right?
Your rear suspension looks like it has a 12" shackle below the frame with stock front mounts and a stock leaf pack SUA? Please tell me I'm wrong.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Your rear suspension looks like it has a 12" shackle below the frame with stock front mounts and a stock leaf pack SUA? Please tell me I'm wrong.
that's what I was thinking

Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Anymore night pictures of that light rack set up's output?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hmm

"zzr shackles, mounts, and bumper w/skid"

ok, it makes sense
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
hmm

"zzr shackles, mounts, and bumper w/skid"

ok, it makes sense
Touché...
Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
shawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shedshawnphoto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
apparently you are not, yes it is indeed below the frame, the leafs are a all pro double eye pack.

on another note, if anyone would like to donate TC shackles, mounts (front and rear), a deaver f67 pack, a slip yoke, and straps (oh hey look over a thousand dollars) to me then feel free. till then im running this set up that i built at a fraction of the cost and can hang with other lt setups...
Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
I think yours is sua
Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Just call me Daddy
TacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
TacoDaddy's Tacoma Gallery
kickass!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
apparently you are not, yes it is indeed below the frame, the leafs are a all pro double eye pack.

on another note, if anyone would like to donate TC shackles, mounts (front and rear), a deaver f67 pack, a slip yoke, and straps (oh hey look over a thousand dollars) to me then feel free. till then im running this set up that i built at a fraction of the cost and can hang with other lt setups...
Quote:
anyone care to explain the massive differences between putting the shackle under vs over the frame?
Well aren't we a bit touchy! My point is all the work you paid for with doing a spring under with those long shackles under the frame is for no real gains. You're using a stock length leaf pack so you're not going to get any more travel out of it unless you're going wicked negative arch. Which, if that was the case, you're spring pack will be clapped out in no time.

And there's a lot more to it than just shackle over or under the frame....but, in short you get more uptravel and far better ground clearance, especially on descent angles and consecutive whoops. Despite it being SUA, you could have pulled the same travel numbers with a spring over and a normal length shackle with better ground clearance. Just look at your shackles at ride height, they are at 15* max. Judging by the pictures, I'd guess by the time your leaf pack is flat, the shackle angle will maybe be at a 45* so you're loosing all that rotational and vertical movement of the shackle.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
Quote:
Well aren't we a bit touchy! My point is all the work you paid for with doing a spring under with those long shackles under the frame is for no real gains. You're using a stock length leaf pack so you're not going to get any more travel out of it unless you're going wicked negative arch. Which, if that was the case, you're spring pack will be clapped out in no time.

And there's a lot more to it than just shackle over or under the frame....but, in short you get more uptravel and far better ground clearance, especially on descent angles and consecutive whoops. Despite it being SUA, you could have pulled the same travel numbers with a spring over and a normal length shackle with better ground clearance. Just look at your shackles at ride height, they are at 15* max. Judging by the pictures, I'd guess by the time your leaf pack is flat, the shackle angle will maybe be at a 45* so you're loosing all that rotational and vertical movement of the shackle.
All good, that makes a lot of sense. the truck came with the leafs and sua, but shitty (possibly stock) gas shocks. im getting much more uptravel now, but also significantly more down travel than before. actually getting so much up travel that my driveshaft was slightly rubbing on my cab at full compression before i adjusted bumps? I dont think the shackles are angled how you think they are, looking at them id say theyre closer to 45-50*
Yes, its not an ideal set up. Yes, i could be getting more travel for a bit over a thousand dollars. However for how little i paid, im pulling significantly more travel, have a significantly more capable rear end, and am able to keep up and enjoy a ride much smoother than before. I think id be a little upset if I spent money and didn't see any gains. However, the gains i experienced going from a stock rear set up to this were exponential.
Sure, i would love to run deavers and all that shit, however more important goals (aka school, sustaining myself) take priority over a few inches of travel in a truck that still has torsion bars. Yes, i know it will clap out these leafs much quicker than other setups, but leaf springs that i can easily re arch and rebuild for under $50 each time are a bit more viable for me.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
^^^x2!!! And about time you did a build thread. I've been your truck for a while I have a 92 that I'm going to get from my grandpa once I transfer back down to the states. Pretty much much want to do what you have done to it.
Hell yeah! theyre fun little trucks! kind of like a super wide long travel go kart haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
Looks good both maybe daily driving keep it off and then when going offroad trip out it on
i think im going to sell it and try to get my hands on some bucket seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Anymore night pictures of that light rack set up's output?
What are you looking for? long distance or...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaddy View Post
kickass!
Thanks man! shes coming together!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hell yeah! theyre fun little trucks! kind of like a super wide long travel go kart haha

i think im going to sell it and try to get my hands on some bucket seats

What are you looking for? long distance or...?

Thanks man! shes coming together!
Ya man exactly. Light enough that you don't need a shit ton of power to have fun and there's nothing like a sweet Toyota truck!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #18
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
12" shackle over the frame is to help keep the springs flat on a leaf pack with lots of arc and to utilize the full travel. (Leafs get longer when they compress) as of now full bump youll have like 6" of negative arc lol that is not good for springs
Old 01-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #19
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blang
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
this thing mobbezzzz when i was ridin' dirty in it at pizm0