Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

Small block chevy T56 FC RX7 build

Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Small block chevy T56 FC RX7 build

So I picked up this car for $400 a few months ago. The body is pretty clean with the exception of a massive dent in the passenger rear quarter panel. The car had a SBC with a TH350 in it previously but had been removed before I picked it up. It did still have the granny's cradle in it 8)

The car had:
5 lug conversoin
TII diff
Hacked up harness
Destroyed dash from sitting in the desert sun for years.

You can see where someone cut up the mount. I welded in some new metal and re drilled the holes. Good as new.

So First things first was to find a motor and trans for the thing. I picked up a seized LT1 with a "good" T56 bolted to it for $1000, sold the motor for $250.

Next I found a 350 that was in a 3/4 ton chevy truck, had to buy the whole truck. The motor supposedly had 50 miles on a rebuild. Flat top pistons, RV cam, bored .060" over, new bearings throughout.

I started on the car by removing all the unneeded wires from the harness since it was all hacked up anyway. So I tore the dash out... permanently... and got to it.

This has been a nightmare, Im still not done and have removed A LOT of wires. I hoping to get it down to the bare essentials, lights, signals, and the ignition. This will be a stripped down hooptie. :drive:

Last night I tore the motor out of the truck, took me 4 hours by myself which seems like an eternity when you consider how simple this thing is!

Got her all dressed up. New oil pan gasket since the old one leaked like a sieve, as well as a new rear main seal. Threw the Spec conversion flywheel, clutch, and T56 on there today.

4 bolt mains

I got the motor in place in the car today but it looks like the oil pan is hitting the steering rack AND the granny's mount > By then it was getting dark so I called it a day. The plan is to clearance the pan either with a hammer or by cutting and welding, really don't want to re do that oil pan gasket though... I hear some guys run washers to space the engine up too, sounds kinda sketchy to me.

More to come, I hope to have it driving within a week, I still need to shorten my driveshaft and mount up my clutch hydraulics.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
Nice...I saw one of these blow up on the freeway a week ago.
A rotary RX7 or a 350 chevy?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
Not sure...probably a rotary.
An RX-7 I mean.
Oh ok, yeah they tend to do that... a lot

Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet build. More cutting than your truck build

Sub'd.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99taco27505 View Post
Sweet build. More cutting than your truck build

Sub'd.
Lol well the truck cost me $8000, car was $400. I'm poor so yeah.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Somethings Fuckey
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking motor. How many horses is it pushing?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Me likes. Good luck! Actually, I know a guy that has an RX7 convertible sitting in his garage; can't recall the year but I think he thought it was pretty rare.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 tacoma owner View Post
Nice looking motor. How many horses is it pushing?
Well if it ran right it should be right around 300 crank HP, but it ran terribly in the truck, burning a bit of oil. I think the dude that rebuilt it didn't know what he was doing. The plan is to run it till I can afford to do a nice rebuild. Vortech heads, bigger cam, P&P, maybe a stroker crank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
ive had 3 2nd gens......i love them i had an 89 turboII that was getting prepped for an ls1 t56 when i was stabbed 4x protecting some friends and had to sell the car,bike and project truck i had ill built one again some day!!!!! good luck with the build
That sucks! I really want to LS1 one of these bad boys some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Me likes. Good luck! Actually, I know a guy that has an RX7 convertible sitting in his garage; can't recall the year but I think he thought it was pretty rare.
They're getting pretty rare just because the rotary isn't real reliable/popular. Normally I would love to have a built rotary in this thing but it was so hacked up anyways, I just had to put something filthy in it haha.

Anyway, I used a big steel pipe I had laying around to dent the oil pan up. Worked like a charm and I made sure the rod bolts clear by turning her I've by hand a few times. Got it in yesterday, still need to mod out the trans cross member that came with the car. It was used for a th350 so it doesn't fit.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
braaap

Oh yes

LOL
Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
braaap

Alright I got the trans mount made and installed, driveshaft shortened, engine wired up, and the clutch bled.

Also made this sweet shifter handle in my school's machine shop. It's a cue ball threaded onto an aluminum shaft.

Finally, I got the engine started today. It still has no headers on it because the old ones dont fit so I only let it run about 5 seconds. The correct set of headers should be here friday. In the meantime I need to figure out the cooling system and fuel.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
braaap

Drove it for the first time today

First of all, I still have no radiator cap so I only got about a mile before I was spewing water Also, conveniently a mile from my house, I found out I wired the alternator wrong so the battery was dead. Had to run home and get the truck to jump it.

All else seems good though, Im surprised how good the brakes are on the car, as well as the condition of the transmission. The 3-4 synchro feels a little notchy but not bad.

Sorry no pics, it was dark. I had to shove the positive wire for the headlights and tail lights into the + battary terminal to look somewhat legit at night Need to get on that body harness ASAP.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
braaap

terrible vid of it running. Don't mind the experimental duct tape rad cap

When I test drove it it was EXTREMELY sluggish, like maybe 100 hp. Im hoping it's just the timing since I just kinda did it by ear. If that's not it I guess it's time for a compression test.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
braaap

haha I hope, I need to get it running right, then hopefully my ghetto shortened driveshaft holds up to burnouts.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
First thing that came to mind when I saw this build thread.

http://youtu.be/ZcjpXbMiCtg

Good luck with the build.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid hurts. View Post
First thing that came to mind when I saw this build thread.

http://youtu.be/ZcjpXbMiCtg

Good luck with the build.
My inspiration

Im actually thinking about making a fuel gauge like that if I can't make the stock one work. Only difference here is I only have 2400 bucks into this thing total. He was in like 10 grand or something ridiculous.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
braaap

So I finally got a timing light on it today, looks like timing it by ear put it at about 14*, a little on the high side but not bad for having no clue what im doing!

Dialed in 10* and called it good. Once I get the exhaust built and can actually hear if it's pinging, I may try and advance it a bit.

It looks like I need to take a good look at the carb though because it has a BAD hesitation in the lower RPM's at WOT. I was doing some launches today, reving it up a bit and launching. I could get about 2 feet of wheelspin then it would bog really bad. Once it gets past about 2500 RPM it absolutely screams though. Time to do some research because I know jack squat about automotive carbs although I've done tons of work on vacuum motorcycle carbs. Hoping they're similar