Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

Still shaking while breaking.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
whiptastic handling
FoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud of

Army: E-3
Name: Shamus
FoundOffRoadDead's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Still shaking while breaking.

So i have a question for you brake guy's.
On my ford i have done right and left rotors the works! All new parts every thing. bleeding the brakes and what not. All of the fittings on the trucks steering have been greased. But when i brake i have really really really!! bad shaking in the front end. To where i am scared to drive it. what do i need to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Still shaking while breaking.-199f-150.jpg   Still shaking while breaking.-img_20130307_163217.jpg   Still shaking while breaking.-856426_527031370680515_153923475_o.jpg   Still shaking while breaking.-861340_527031344013851_56207205_o.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
whiptastic handling
FoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud of

It's really starting to make me mad
Old 03-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Ming42083 is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
Ming42083's Tacoma Gallery
brakes?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
whiptastic handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming42083 View Post
brakes?
Pads are not brand brand new, but they still had all the life left in them. They where done by the other owner about a week before i got the truck.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
frog
jamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
jamtoz's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't find slack in any of the steering linkages or bushings, then your brake caliper is shot.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
whiptastic handling

Figured. Just didn't want to think about it. Because nothing is loose on this truck. So that's the only other thing. :[ thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundOffRoadDead View Post
So i have a question for you brake guy's.
On my ford i have done right and left rotors the works! All new parts every thing. bleeding the brakes and what not. All of the fittings on the trucks steering have been greased. But when i brake i have really really really!! bad shaking in the front end. To where i am scared to drive it. what do i need to do?
last pic, looks like all of the studs broke and tire came off... what happened, lets start there...
Old 03-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
whiptastic handling

Tire broke off the studs due to low air pressure in the tires and the tire hitting the spindle. Then in turn snapping the wheel off the studs.
Could i grease the piston's on the caliper to see maybe if there just sticking?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
and what kind of rotors did you put on it
Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
whiptastic handling

Napa premium
Old 03-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if the piston is hanging up you would smell the brakes burning and/or wheel would lock up. were the sliders on the calipers moving freely? even if they weren't, that wouldn't cause a vibration it would just cause the pads to wear unevenly. do you feel shaking in the steering wheel and/or does the brake pedal pulsate
Old 03-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
frog
jamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jamtoz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tire broke off the studs due to low air pressure in the tires and the tire hitting the spindle. Then in turn snapping the wheel off the studs.
If you grease the piston's use silicone based grease only, and some recommend using only brake fluid.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
whiptastic handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj636 View Post
if the piston is hanging up you would smell the brakes burning and/or wheel would lock up. were the sliders on the calipers moving freely? even if they weren't, that wouldn't cause a vibration it would just cause the pads to wear unevenly. do you feel shaking in the steering wheel and/or does the brake pedal pulsate
Yes. it does move free. From left to right. Shaking in the steering yes. At time's the brake pedal does pulsate
Old 03-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
whiptastic handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamtoz View Post
If you grease the piston's use silicone based grease only, and some recommend using only brake fluid.
Greasing with break fluid? I do have silicone based grease.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
whiptastic handling

Should i just clean it all up and then see what happens? Cleaning rust and thing of that nature?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #16
frog

jamtoz's Tacoma Gallery
I rebuilt mine with only dipping the seals in fluid and wetting the pistons and cylinders in fluid too, ive done quite a bit of searching prior to this and here is a post i found on another forum;
"I strongly suggest that VW brake rebuilding paste (or Rubber Grease) be used to lube the piston -- not brake fluid. Brake fluid is hygroscopic -- and it attracts atmospheric moisture. It will corrode areas of the caliper bore and piston, beyond the seal area. Note that so-called rubber grease is fully compatible with brake system rubber and with brake fluid. You can also get this product in most autoparts stores."

Another one;
"NO! NEVER USE BRAKE GREASE ON THE PISTONS", because it will, allegedly, contaminate your brake system.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #17
frog

jamtoz's Tacoma Gallery
Pads will 'wear in' to discs, if they're not quite right initially, they'll get a bit better.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
whiptastic handling

Quote:
I rebuilt mine with only dipping the seals in fluid and wetting the pistons and cylinders in fluid too, ive done quite a bit of searching prior to this and here is a post i found on another forum;
"I strongly suggest that VW brake rebuilding paste (or Rubber Grease) be used to lube the piston -- not brake fluid. Brake fluid is hygroscopic -- and it attracts atmospheric moisture. It will corrode areas of the caliper bore and piston, beyond the seal area. Note that so-called rubber grease is fully compatible with brake system rubber and with brake fluid. You can also get this product in most autoparts stores."

Another one;
"NO! NEVER USE BRAKE GREASE ON THE PISTONS", because it will, allegedly, contaminate your brake system.
So do this for both sides and this should fix my break issue right?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
whiptastic handling

Quote:
Pads will 'wear in' to discs, if they're not quite right initially, they'll get a bit better.
Figured that. Thank you so much for your help! TW Rocks!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes. it does move free. From left to right. Shaking in the steering yes. At time's the brake pedal does pulsate
pulsating in the pedal tells me warped rotors. I have checked run out on new rotors (all different brands & qualities) & have found upwards of .010 of run out!