LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

1948 Jeep Willys

Old 03-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified internet mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy has a willys and uses it for plowing the driveway . Other than that , the darn thing sits all summer . Its original . I did the clutch for him 15 years ago but there were issues with the transfer case and transmission . I had a very tough time finding parts back then and I owned a trans shop . It would be a great parts vehicle if you are interested . If you are planning a 1 up restoration , why not go with chevy 350 motor , 350 transmission and 205 transfer case . Prolly be the cheapest and easiest to find parts for
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #22
Tacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant future

Name: Sarah
Tacomagirl64's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
My buddy has a willys and uses it for plowing the driveway . Other than that , the darn thing sits all summer . Its original . I did the clutch for him 15 years ago but there were issues with the transfer case and transmission . I had a very tough time finding parts back then and I owned a trans shop . It would be a great parts vehicle if you are interested . If you are planning a 1 up restoration , why not go with chevy 350 motor , 350 transmission and 205 transfer case . Prolly be the cheapest and easiest to find parts for
The 350 is what I have been thinking too! Where is your friends Jeep located and what sort of price would we be talking? I am interested. At this time I am looking for a hood and windshield as the ones that I have need more work than I thought and I am really close to just purchasing brand new ones. What sort of condition is the body in?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #24
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2, drop a 350 SBC in it. Simple swap, the wiring for my rx7 took me 30 minutes to have it up and running. I also agree on the TH350 auto and 205 t-case, cheap and easy to find.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #25
Tacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant futureTacomagirl64 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hmm . think the shipping alone would kill the deal . You are in Phoenix and he is deep in Canada . Keep me on the backburner cuz I beleive he also has a spare Willys for parts
I will do! Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #26
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
My wife had a '79 CJ-5 Jeep Renegade, a 304 V-8 was standard... along with a 3 speed manual tranny... Now drives a Toyota.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
My wife had a '79 CJ-5 Jeep Renegade, a 304 V-8 was standard... along with a 3 speed manual tranny... Now drives a Toyota.
Lol, I will never give up on the toyota, just thought it would be cool to build one of these jeeps. My tacoma comes first though lol
Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #28
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomagirl64 View Post
Lol, I will never give up on the toyota, just thought it would be cool to build one of these jeeps. My tacoma comes first though lol
Well keep us posted! My daughter is a Sarah too, and lives in Tucson and drives a 4WD Ranger... Great country Arizona!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #29

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Sarah, did you see the thread I did on Jeep History here? Enjoy: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gen...ry-photos.html
Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Well keep us posted! My daughter is a Sarah too, and lives in Tucson and drives a 4WD Ranger... Great country Arizona!
Good name lol! You need to get her into a Tacoma! I will keep this thread updated as much as possible. Looking at having it in my garage either this weekend or next. My friend has to get the time off work to trailer it down from up north for me so I am being as patient as I can be.

In the mean time, my thoughts for the build are:

2.5" lift - new leaves
35" Iroks
Dana 44 axles front and rear
Full roll cage
New motor - Possible 350
Corbeau Moab seats
A little body work and a lot of LED lights
Old 03-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #31

I am looking to purchase some wheels for this things as well. I was thinking about just starting out with the Procomp steelies and then deciding later on whether or not to go with some beadlock wheels. I am still undecided at the moment. Any thoughts?

Also, I am thinking about going with either a black and red theme or black and blue. Body all black and then either a red or blue powder coated cage. Still unsure, but I am open to some suggestions
Old 12-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #32
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #33

Due to holidays and hectic work schedule not much has been done, but there will be a lot of improvements and work starting in January!
Old 12-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #34
oldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
oldracer's Tacoma Gallery
V8 Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomagirl64 View Post
Been thinking about a v8 swap. Currently it has a 4cyl Nova motor in it. Anyone have any thoughts on a motor and transmission that will work for it?? Any help is greatly appreciated
I had one , several years ago.

It had a Chevy V8, installed when I got it, a good professional job. But the original transmission, was retained. It had an adapter plate to mount the V8, and it worked really well.

But: And that is a big BUT: The V8 overpowered the stock transmission; not so much the original front and rear differentials. The transmission was definitely a weak point.

If I were to do it today, I would use a complete newer style driveline, maybe even the frame, which was not up to today's standards.

Find a newer, 4x4 with the same wheelbase, or close to it; and mount the old body. You will not regret doing this. Especially, after you break the original driveline a few times.

oldracer
Old 12-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
I had one , several years ago.

It had a Chevy V8, installed when I got it, a good professional job. But the original transmission, was retained. It had an adapter plate to mount the V8, and it worked really well.

But: And that is a big BUT: The V8 overpowered the stock transmission; not so much the original front and rear differentials. The transmission was definitely a weak point.

If I were to do it today, I would use a complete newer style driveline, maybe even the frame, which was not up to today's standards.

Find a newer, 4x4 with the same wheelbase, or close to it; and mount the old body. You will not regret doing this. Especially, after you break the original driveline a few times.

oldracer
Hey thanks for the information! I will have to look into it more. I was just going to box the frame but your way might be way better.