Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

2013 F150 EcoBoost

Old 04-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #41
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
this is where it is on our '05, not sure on the new trucks/
I'm sure the engineers had reasoning for putting the intercoolers where they are instead of in front of the radiator or elsewhere.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #42
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Updated OP, included pics, impressions and a small slight review I guess you could say.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #43
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I'm sure the engineers had reasoning for putting the intercoolers where they are instead of in front of the radiator or elsewhere.
They probably just didn't have room elsewhere under the hood. No big deal, really, since the bumper is a common location for aftermarket intercoolers, e.g.:

Quote:
Both spindles completely rusted
Looks like Ford doesn't paint cast parts. The Tacoma spindle rusts where spotface machining is done:

Old 04-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #44
Alexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexb03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
Alexb03's Tacoma Gallery
nice truck! what did you pay if you dont mind me asking? im looking at trading in the taco for a full size truck. i tow a 18ft car hauler with my crawler on it. not sure if a 1500 would be fine for me, im tossing the idea of a diesel also...
Old 04-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #45
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
I used to work at a Ford/Toyota dealership as a mechanic. We saw a few problems on these. The intercooler (called a "CAC" cold-air-charger) tend to crap out fairly often. Ford put out a new design so maybe you have the updated one. They commonly have a shudder on takeoff from a stop, it's from the slip yoke although Ford will try and remedy it with axle shims. Also the black mat-like cover that covers the oil drain plug and filter will start to smell from getting wet and will eventually tear.

Hope all goes well for ya!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #46
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexb03 View Post
nice truck! what did you pay if you dont mind me asking? im looking at trading in the taco for a full size truck. i tow a 18ft car hauler with my crawler on it. not sure if a 1500 would be fine for me, im tossing the idea of a diesel also...
PMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
I used to work at a Ford/Toyota dealership as a mechanic. We saw a few problems on these. The intercooler (called a "CAC" cold-air-charger) tend to crap out fairly often. Ford put out a new design so maybe you have the updated one. They commonly have a shudder on takeoff from a stop, it's from the slip yoke although Ford will try and remedy it with axle shims. Also the black mat-like cover that covers the oil drain plug and filter will start to smell from getting wet and will eventually tear.

Hope all goes well for ya!
Hah thanks, I have been reading a lot on the F150 forums, a couple of people have it down to a science just like the beloved taco members here. I really wish you still had your 4R for sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
They probably just didn't have room elsewhere under the hood. No big deal, really, since the bumper is a common location for aftermarket intercoolers, e.g.:
Looks like Ford doesn't paint cast parts. The Tacoma spindle rusts where spotface machining is done:
I think that's most peoples biggest complaint, there are several relatively cheap ones people say it takes about 20 minutes to change out for a more robust aftermarket one.

I was thinking I would tear down the IFS when I decide to lift it and get them powder coated.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:20 AM   #47
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery

Weather tech mod, these look super sexy. They did need a slight modification to fit in the backseat, the sub woofer was in the way and I was religiously searching for an answer until I read on the actual mat, on the bottom side where it says in plain English "Trim here for Subwoofer"
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #48
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a build for your taco? I've been trying to find it forever, now I know what you did with it.

Clean looking truck, I have nothing against ford but that thing looks sick man.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #49
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
Do you have a build for your taco? I've been trying to find it forever, now I know what you did with it.

Clean looking truck, I have nothing against ford but that thing looks sick man.
I did but I had it removed for personal reasons, I literally have thousands of pics of it though, I'll throw some on here for reference.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #50
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
since the OP has "suggestions?" listed.....id say send your truck to SDHQ and have them do the Raptor makeover....then boom eco boost raptor and I approve your switch from toyota to ford
Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #51
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4C0CH40S View Post
since the OP has "suggestions?" listed.....id say send your truck to SDHQ and have them do the Raptor makeover....then boom eco boost raptor and I approve your switch from toyota to ford
Hah... That would probably set me back 15 grand at least. If I did high speed whoops and what not I would think about it but I like to ride trails.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #52
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Hah... That would probably set me back 15 grand at least. If I did high speed whoops and what not I would think about it but I like to ride trails.
eh yea no biggy lol its a one stop shop, if i had the money id do it haha! they were working on one, black like yours in fact, when i was in their shop last weekend
Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #53
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Here is one they did a conversion on, looks just like a raptor..

http://sdhqoffroad.com/proj084-nav.aspx
Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #54
RINZLER

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Here is one they did a conversion on, looks just like a raptor..

http://sdhqoffroad.com/proj084-nav.aspx
Seen in person it was awesome! and they did a pretty sweet review on youtube. the new one is in the middle of its build process right now
Old 04-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #55
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I had one as a rental car for a week and it was amazing! Be waiting to see what other truck companies do after this. My brother has a raptor and the Eco boost was just as fun to drive on the street!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #56
stroked383z has a spectacular aura aboutstroked383z has a spectacular aura about
stroked383z's Tacoma Gallery
I drove every truck on the market in 2011... Owned a 08 Dodge RAM (never again). I bought a 2011 Tundra Crewmax, and last year bought the wife a 2012 DC Tacoma. The Ecoboost would've been my 3rd choice behind the F150 5.0, and then the Raptor. I've been reading about the Ecoboost not getting the MPG they claim, and having transmission and overheating issues when really put to good use. The one I drove had some shrudder in the driveline while not in boost. I suspect it was the TQ Converter setup trying for the best MPG.

Not knocking the Ecoboost or anything, because it surprised me how good it ran for a 6 cylinder. I just wouldn't want the upkeep of those turbos past 60K miles. I've owned several turbo vehicles and trust me they go out and are $$$$ to replace.

So far I'm loving my Tundra. It did have a Cam Cover oil leak at 3K miles, but Toyota took care of it and gave me the 8yr/125K mile bumper to bumper Platinum warranty to compensate me for my new truck having a small oil leak . Nissan was my least favorite truck. Also drove a Raptor.... Tundra will walk all over it power wise. Seems like the Raptor is too heavy, and will break if you really try to use it, and I'm not much on all the frilly stickers lol.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #57
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
I figured the ecoboost would get better gas mileage :/
Old 04-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #58
stroked383z has a spectacular aura aboutstroked383z has a spectacular aura about
Oh and word to the wise... I talked to the Ford dealer about modding the Ecoboost... They told me if it was modded in any way CAI, exhaust, programmer... ALL WARRANTY VOIDED. So be careful. You did pick the best color. That would've been my choice too, with White coming in 2nd.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
I figured the ecoboost would get better gas mileage :/
Got a buddy who has one... 7 MPG towing his camper, and it's about the same weight as mine. I get 10 to 10.5 MPG towing my camper and I have 33's and a 3/1 kit. He says his average is around 18 ish but it's never the same on a tank of gas and that it fluctuates (I think his foot fluctuates lol). I do like his has a bigger gas tank than my Tundra though.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #60
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked383z View Post
Oh and word to the wise... I talked to the Ford dealer about modding the Ecoboost... They told me if it was modded in any way CAI, exhaust, programmer... ALL WARRANTY VOIDED. So be careful. You did pick the best color. That would've been my choice too, with White coming in 2nd.
Just because they said it doesn't make it true. The federal law trumps their word of mouth.