Notices

my 81 pick up build. Time Machine

Old 06-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
ya i work the cocanut bra like a pro
greatwhitenorth is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
greatwhitenorth's Tacoma Gallery
my 81 pick up build. Time Machine

so some of you know I bought a Toyota back in December. I guess I never got around to posting a build on it yet.

the day she came home.

few walk around pictures

so shes got some extremely bad floor rot. gonna have to cut the floor out and weld in some new metal. while im at it ill reinforsce the inner rockers as well and put in new cab mounts. I gotta replace two of the frame cab mounts as they are structurally done.

I went and inspected the frame and was rather saddened. found this on the LH side in front of the rear front leaf spring perch.

while lifted on the hoist I fit two fingers between the box and the cab

while rested o nthe ground its a finger and a half... so idk if I need to be concerned... is that to much frame flex?

while I was in college we rebuilt the old 22R.

deck plained and straightened

stock comapired to after market

the engine was bored .040 over already. so we bored it out and sleeved it back to STD. installed a small cam, replaced all the bearings and such.

this past weekend. June 15th 2013 I brought the truck to my shop and started working on it again. got the engine into her home.

any tips, advice, or helpful info is greatly welcome.

Tyler
Old 06-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Where'd you find that old jewel?
Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHPLSH3 View Post
Where'd you find that old jewel?

just out side of Edmonton in Sherwood park actually. lol I over paid... bought it for 1500... plus the engine I just rebuilt... im over budget
Old 06-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
bigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 9SFS
Name: Jared
bigtaco06's Tacoma Gallery
SUB'D
Old 06-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #6

little updates.

slowly getting the truck back together.
got the front temperary bumper mounted.
grill in place
rad positioned
few odds and ends on

just gotta get a cap and distributer
clutch
clutch fork
throw out bearing
clutch slave
clutch master
route vacume lines
plumb cooling system
drain and clean out tank
finish wiring

then....

the first start up XD

Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
ANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
ANT2013taco's Tacoma Gallery
Love that old body style. I can't wait to see it completed.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
Looking forward to to seeing this one finished
Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
What are your plans for the rusted out frame?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking for a 79-80 truck just like that right now!!! Can't wait to get one!!! Very nice OP!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. Love these trucks
Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
What are your plans for the rusted out frame?
Gonna pull the box off and access the extent of the rot. Got all the nuts and bolts off. So now I can pull the box off. I'm just going to build a flat deck. No need for a box on this unit for what I'm building.

If the rot is to bad I might have to either find a new frame, or build a rear portion. Time will tell.

Just started a new job, so things should go smoother on the build now
Old 09-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #14

UPDATE:

well truck is booked in for october to get the frame finished profesionally!

Today Sept 1st the box and fuel tank will be coming off. i wanted 4 people to help, but i guess myself, my toy hauler and some red neck mechanics will work.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #15

heres some pictures

oh and hell the thing that helped hoist the box off.

Now i shall go out and remove the fuel tank and prep the frame.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #16

blah... got the seats removed.... and what i feared... MORE cancer lol well looks like ive got some fabricating ahead of me.

kinda a cool design on the back of hte seats. is that factory?

and what the heck is this thing... it was only on the passenger seat
Old 09-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Looks kinda like a pressure switch. Are those actually the factory seats?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
Looks kinda like a pressure switch. Are those actually the factory seats?
I'm not sure. It wasn't hooked up to anything. To be honest I don't know if they are our aren't. The guy who did me it was sketchy and I'm slowly discovering just how sketchy he was lol
Old 09-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Never seen that on the back of any Toyota seats.
I'm not even sure buckets were available in '81. Pretty sure those are transplants.
From what, no clue... maybe a boat? White definitely would not have been used.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #20

That makes perfect sense.