Now for some modification changes.
In the end of January I installed the Superstrut channeling into the side of the plastic bedliner at a norcal mod day in Fairfield.
To do so I had to remove the camper shell. It was the first time in about 17 years that the shell had been removed! I had no memory of it, so it was neat to see. The nuts on the bolts holding the shell down were difficult to get to underneath, through the bedliner, so that was a pain and we ended up saws-alling the bolt head off to get the shell off. It's a heavy sob, too, all galvanized steel. I'm glad there were a lot of people there to help pull it off! Thanks Nor Cal folks!
Here's what it looked like without the shell:
The finished project of the channeling:
Superstrut spring nuts and square spacers and hardware store eye-bolts for tie-down points
The problem is that the bed liner plastic is too soft to fully support a hi lift, so I stacked my wheel chock blocks in the corner underneath the foot and added a piece of plywood that could serve as a bigger base for the jack, too, to fully support the heavy part of the jack.
Also got the neoprene jack cover to protect the pins from any dust and trash/debris that floats around in the back of my truck from various clean ups.
The biggest undertaking so far for the truck: OME suspension! Dakar medium duty springs in the rear with OME N94 shocks, OME steering stabilizer, OME N98 shocks up front, and SDORI 1.5" Ball Joint spacers. I bought the OME torsion bars but I heard that that they might make the ride too stiff, compromising the flexibility off road, so I haven't put them in yet. I actually loosened the torsion bars a little recently to make it a little better off-road. So far I'm very pleased with the performance.
I'll get the official before/after measurements and pictures later, but here's the before and immediately after (before alignment and t-bar loosening and spring relaxing):
Had to get rid of some corrosion on the shackle pins
I added some nylon spacers to space down the carrier bearing and the carrier bearing skid plate to try to reduce some vibrations. It did reduce the range of speed during which there were vibrations, but it didn't completely eliminate them.
I learned a lot from this install, I'm very glad I stuck through it and did it all myself, with the help of my parents.
I added 1" front diff and sway bar spacers to improve the front axle CV angles and to reduce some full-droop binding in the front driver wheel.
The diff hanging down makes me a bit nervous, so maybe an ifs skid is in my future.
And that's pretty much how it stands today. One little light in the rear up on the rack in the campershell to replace those other lights that I had before, but I also got new lenses for the taillights, so I can see much better in the dark when backing up.
Wired through the campershell, turned out pretty well if I do say so myself.