Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

jberry's Expo Trailer Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
jberry's Expo Trailer Build

Frame and A-frame are 2"x3"x1/8" rectangle tube
Tongue is 2.5"x2.5"x.25" square receiver tube
Crossmembers are 2"x2"x.120 square tube
Gussets on every 90* joint
Integrated hitch recovery point (and will be used for bicycle rack) in rear bumper

Exterior Shots:

Little shoe basket using the ladder and ladder holddown:

Never need to find a bottle opener:

Lockable Home Depot caster I added to the tongue jack:

Safety Chains:

Fenders are nice and stout...can be used as steps (as you can see)

Lockable T-handles on all doors:

LED license plate bracket:

Greasable hinges on all doors:

3500 lb 6x5.5 axle with bronze SCS F5's

Electric brake setup including 5 amp hour battery backup:

Fresh Water Setup:

Drain spiggot on water tank:

Electrical:

LED lights inside tent with little e-bay switch:

Folding camping table nestled between the roof and tent...like I planned it.

Fold down tailgate table:

Modified harbor freight clamps to hold table tight to tailgate in transit:

Stove/Oven on slide-out:

Pleanty of space:

Suspension:
Pro Comp 4" lift springs for the front of a Jeep YJ
WFO Concepts Leaf Spring Hangers (designed to fit a 2" frame and taper out to a 2.5" spring)
WFO Concepts Shackle Hanger (again, designed for a 2" frame)
Homemade 4" shackles
Energy Suspension spring & shackle bushing set (actually designed for a old K5 blazer but the dimensions were exactly what I needed).

Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Well....it's a start anyway

Gotta start somewhere!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd to this epicness as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed I guess although this has to be the most boring start to a build ever.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post

Throw the man a bone, he doesn't have the years of expertise you've developed.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Old 08-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTA LOVER View Post

Throw the man a bone, he doesn't have the years of expertise you've developed.
Sure he does.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
wasnt expecting that.....lol
Old 08-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to see you tow this thing 80 mph through some whoops
Old 08-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I thought it was kinda clever

But ok...more.
The trailer will use a standard 3500 lb trailer axle, with some custom goodies for suspension. Will still be leaf sprung, but definitely not trailer leafs.

I'm waiting for a metric shit ton of parts to come in so the simple stuff is getting knocked out now.

Some simple 5" shackles.
Nothing fancy, just 1/4" plate with a 1"x.188 wall DOM sleeve. Got antsy and already painted them too.

And picked up these u-bolt plates. They are 1/4 plate with a built in pseudo skid plate to protect the u-bolts similar to my truck (trailer will be SUA). The plates are designed to mate a standard 2-3/8" round tube axle to 2.5" wide leaf springs.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I thought it was kinda clever too.

Have you looked at the various iterations of the torsion bar axle? Doesn't flex and probably not the greatest for dragging along a trail but they sure pull nice and you get some iteration of suspension too.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
I thought it was kinda clever too.

Have you looked at the various iterations of the torsion bar axle? Doesn't flex and probably not the greatest for dragging along a trail but they sure pull nice and you get some iteration of suspension too.

From what I researched, torsions are the wrong type of suspension for an offroad trailer. Shit for travel and the rubber just rips apart. They are great for on-road applications. I had torsions on my old toy hauler.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
tired

You know I'm just giving you crap.

I know that it's "fashionable" to use trailing arms and airbags on trailers these days. I'm sure they work well and it's nice to just add air to the bags to level it out with a big load. But there are so many more parts that can fail. I think leaf springs are the right choice. Obviously the trailer springs on mine aren't ideal but they work. Running some longer (maybe custom) spring packs like it sounds like you're doing will be sweet and totally worry free.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
This gonna be one of those long build threads that gets finished in a few years?

On a side note:

I was thinking of using my stock springs off the taco on my trailer. Any reason why I should think of using something different?
Old 08-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
You know I'm just giving you crap.
I expect nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
This gonna be one of those long build threads that gets finished in a few years?

On a side note:

I was thinking of using my stock springs off the taco on my trailer. Any reason why I should think of using something different?
This is going to be one of those ONGOING build threads. Most likely it will end up like my truck build thread, occasional updates on the vehicle, mostly BS, probably followed by broken parts that get rebuilt to the point of excess, and occasional pictures of random hotties.

IMO the only problem with the stock taco springs is the amount of spring arch. It's almost non-existant. I see no reason why you couldn't do a SOA setup with them.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
I expect nothing less.

This is going to be one of those ONGOING build threads. Most likely it will end up like my truck build thread, occasional updates on the vehicle, mostly BS, probably followed by broken parts that get rebuilt to the point of excess, and occasional pictures of random hotties.

IMO the only problem with the stock taco springs is the amount of spring arch. It's almost non-existant. I see no reason why you couldn't do a SOA setup with them.
Sub'd
Old 08-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
trailer needs... you buy

Products Discussed in this Thread