Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

1989 Reg. Cab 4x4 Pick-Up build.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
rsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Tyler
rsxftw's Tacoma Gallery
1989 Reg. Cab 4x4 Pick-Up build.

Hey guys.
Heres a build and picture thread of my "new to me", Toyota Pick Up!
This is my second toyota truck. A couple years back i had a 05 DCLB prerunner, didnt have that truck long as i soon wished i had 4x4 and having a 2wd truck with bad gas milage wasnt worth it to me anymore, so i sold it to focus more on my 05 rsx type s.
Just a few weeks back i sold my RSX as i need a 4x4 because i plan on moving to lake tahoe, and i was just sick of a car payment and not having the practicality of a truck.
Ran across this one on craigslist and got to the guy just in time to snag it. Beat 2 other would-be buyers by about 5 mins!
Instantly fell in love with the truck. 1 owner, 145k miles. Interior is in great shape, paint has seen better days but not too bad. Maintenance records looked good. Had the head gasket recently done. Clutch is new. Had a lot of stuff done in last 20k miles. All the maintenance must not of been enough cause a couple days after having her, i noticed the fuel pressure damper needed to be changed(common problem on the 3vze v6), all so valve cover gaskets, converted the AC to 134(still needs a charge), changed the headunit, added two more speakers(right now have 4, 4"ers. Soon to be replacing 2 of the 4"s for 2 6x9s.)... After all that i sprouted a injector seal leak Thats in the process of being taken care of now.
On the good side i got a set of steelies and some fresh 31x10.5s on her and she looks great. Alright on to some pics!

Future Mods

-Full OME Suspension upgrade
-33" all terrains
-Camper Shell|DONE
-Roof Rack with snow board and bike attachments
-CB Radio|DONE
-Full size spare with tailgate holder
-All Pro front bumper
-Some sort of rear bumper
-Rear Locker
-Magnaflow or flowmaster muffler with turn down
-Window Tint
-Grip Royal wood steering wheel
-8" shallow sub and 2 6x9s for back
-Power inverter and 2 12v outlets in bed

Sorta Current Pic

Day i picked her up, driving her home!

New Head Unit.

Tore open!

New shocks!

New wheels and tires!

And some pics of my old pride and joy, miss this car so much <3

Stay tuned for more as time goes on.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck, can't wait to see where you go with it!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice, toyota pickups are like tanks
Old 03-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery

Really clean truck, man! Looks really good with those new wheels and tires on there!
What exhaust work has been done on it, do you know? The cat looks new on yours, and I think my exhaust is getting close to needing to be swapped out (small hole in my muffler, smashed my cat on some rocks at slickrock ), I'm wondering what you've got goin' on.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
rsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of lightrsxftw is a glorious beacon of light
rsxftw's Tacoma Gallery
Finally some updates;

Picked up a camper shell for $30 on craigslist! Best deal ever, well almost. The camper needed some TLC but im in the process of bringing it back to life!
Here it is right after i picked it up.

And after searching far and wide for replacement rear window, i had to resort to making one.. Started out well, had a plexi one mocked up, just getting it to stick was impossible.
Ended up making one out of a plastic flimsy window material, kinda like what jeeps run on their soft tops.. Looks kinda crappy but gets the job done.
Im now in the process of painting the shell black and making it as water tight as possible.

And heres just a random pic out at my GFs moms place.

After the camper is on itll be time for a CB radio, and then a front bumper.
Im happy to finally have a direction for my truck, stay tuned!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
rsxftw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92shawman View Post

Really clean truck, man! Looks really good with those new wheels and tires on there!
What exhaust work has been done on it, do you know? The cat looks new on yours, and I think my exhaust is getting close to needing to be swapped out (small hole in my muffler, smashed my cat on some rocks at slickrock ), I'm wondering what you've got goin' on.
Previous guy changed out the cat a year or so back. Im not sure on brand, ill look through the receipts and see if i can find anything on the exhaust work hes had done on it!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Holy schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wyatt
Holy schmidt's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck! Looks great with the new wheels. I wonder if the cat got stolen like mine?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
rsxftw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy schmidt View Post
Nice truck! Looks great with the new wheels. I wonder if the cat got stolen like mine?
Thanks man!
It may have, or it was just too old.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #9
ttaM will become famous soon enoughttaM will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
ttaM's Tacoma Gallery
Dang! this truck is sweet, and i love the plans you have for it.

The old acura is pretty sick as well
Old 03-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
rsxftw's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man!
Stanced cars has been my main focus from the time i got my license when i was 16. This is a nice change of pace for me.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
rsxftw's Tacoma Gallery
Got the $30 Craigslist camper shell all spray canned up and mounted back on the truck.. All so in the pic is my window fix, the result of a perfectly cut piece of plastic wanna be glass shattering while trying to be installed
Actually like the flimsy style better anyway, and tinting it was a breeze(spray can!!).

Now Im just working on wrapping up my CB install before doing some wheeling on sunday out at Hollister Hills. All so plan on taking some actual camera pics of the truck wheelin at HH. Cheers!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
rsxftw's Tacoma Gallery
Finished up my CB today.
Mounted the antenna on the back passenger side of the shell. Ran the coax cable through a hole i found behind passenger seat, made a small hole in the rubber plug and ran the wire through. Then ran the wire under the truck, zip tied it along the frame, had it come up into the bed and out the back of shell to the antenna. Worked out really well.

Mounted the CB its self in the popular ash tray location.

And some photos of the whip. I wanna eventually get it mounted straight up and down, just need a vice. For now, this works!

Old 06-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
rsxftw's Tacoma Gallery
Went up camping and did a little wheeling up in the sierras near South Lake Tahoe. Had a great time. Truck did great. Just wish i had a 2" lift and some 33"s, all in time i suppose!

Pics!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
cmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck! Subd