Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

tons, cummins, 40s, 80 series Land Cruiser build

Old 10-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
tons, cummins, 40s, 80 series Land Cruiser build

What the hell is he building in there?

92 FJ80

91.5 5.9 VE pump Cummins
Getrag 360
NP205
14 bolt - chevy 63s
60 - 3 link with johnny joints
40s
dual batteries
hydroboost brakes
hydro assist steering
south bend clutch

that's the goal for now-ish

This is going to be slow going for a number of reasons.

Pictures!

She's almost ready to come out. That's all I've got for now. Nothing too exciting.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
socal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Diego
socal16's Tacoma Gallery
That's gonna be one sweet ride! Subbed
Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
def buying an fj80 now lol
Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm honestly not a huge fan now that I've owned one and spent some time with em. Great for a swap if you're going to rebuild shit and can get it for cheap if not...

They're expensive for an older vehicle with high mileage and lots of associated problems with that due to AWD/selectable 4wd. I picked mine up for 1000 just because of the way it worked out and due to the engine troubles, the guy was kinda fucked and he ended up just dumping it for cheap, worked out for me because I knew what I wanted to do it.

Mostly Ih8mud is full of guys that can barely manage an oil change, and I've decided the majority of Land Cruiser owners are the same type that would buy a subaru outback.

Anyway... I'm kind of a dick but I just don't think these Land Cruisers stack up to an early 22RE pickup. Sure you can get selectable lockers but if your goal is to wheel you're better off with a cheaper pickup anyway.

I still think they're cool if you know what you're doing and don't mind putting in the work and time to fix shit and can get one cheap but... they're definitely not as reliable as a mini truck.

Just my .02 after spending a lot of time on the forums and owning this bastard, and don't get me wrong, I'm super excited for mine but I'm not sure I'd own a stock one.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i hear ya but i have also found one of these for 1000 except its the lexus version and the only thing that it needs is headliner leather seats (interior looks like it got hit by a tornado) and a head gasket issue that the guy said he would fix.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #12

Yeah those newer trucks have definite head gasket issues. I think it's usually number 6 that fails. Not a huge deal if you know what you're doing and can put in the time/money but still...

Transmission and t-case are mostly solid, but I'd do a part time conversion right away and then locking hubs on the front axle, a lot of these trucks have birf issues because of the full time awd. And they'll wear out chromos in a short order. Probably plan on rebuilding the front axle.

Sorry maybe I'm just jaded, they're still good trucks but they have some definite things that need attention.

And Ih8mud sometimes really pisses me off. Plenty of guys over there who would crucify you for introducing Dana axles or a chevy engine etc to the Land Cruiser... Toyota purists.

This thread exemplifies a lot of my distaste.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...-cut-turn.html

Anyway, don't let me turn ya off from the truck, if you know what you're doing they're still cool.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy has an FJ55 here in town, he said he would give to me... but whoever had it before him cut a section out of the rear to bob it, and riveted it back together. Left the frame long. Whoever did it needs their asses kicked.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Red - I put dbags in their place
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, starting it off right for my interest.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
Running For Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Yeah those newer trucks have definite head gasket issues. I think it's usually number 6 that fails. Not a huge deal if you know what you're doing and can put in the time/money but still...

Transmission and t-case are mostly solid, but I'd do a part time conversion right away and then locking hubs on the front axle, a lot of these trucks have birf issues because of the full time awd. And they'll wear out chromos in a short order. Probably plan on rebuilding the front axle.

Sorry maybe I'm just jaded, they're still good trucks but they have some definite things that need attention.

And Ih8mud sometimes really pisses me off. Plenty of guys over there who would crucify you for introducing Dana axles or a chevy engine etc to the Land Cruiser... Toyota purists.

This thread exemplifies a lot of my distaste.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...-cut-turn.html

Anyway, don't let me turn ya off from the truck, if you know what you're doing they're still cool.
was thinking about getting it and leaving it in my driveway sort of to save before someone finds it and scoops it. i know theres going to be alot of issues and if i do get it i'll definately look at the front axle and most likely rebuild it. i wanna get it and do a overland type build. as for the engine i was thinking of either rebuilding the one already in it or trying to find a 4.6 UR from a pick and pull.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #16

I can't help myself.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...rear-lcas.html

derp

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ml#post8793458

derp

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ap-80-a-6.html

DERP

The "TECH" on this site is unbelievable, full of misinformation and bullshit.

Anyway, that's not really what this build is about, fuck those guys, I do what I want and that means -- not toyota drivetrain, leaves, 3 link
Old 10-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
My buddy has an FJ55 here in town, he said he would give to me... but whoever had it before him cut a section out of the rear to bob it, and riveted it back together. Left the frame long. Whoever did it needs their asses kicked.
No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked doin' something like that, man.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
was thinking about getting it and leaving it in my driveway sort of to save before someone finds it and scoops it. i know theres going to be alot of issues and if i do get it i'll definately look at the front axle and most likely rebuild it. i wanna get it and do a overland type build. as for the engine i was thinking of either rebuilding the one already in it or trying to find a 4.6 UR from a pick and pull.
They're not terrible engines, but if you buy it spend some time researching mods and fixes to eliminate some of the common issues. I think you can pretty much permanently fix the HG issue with an aftermarket gasket and some studs. The "pesky heater hose" can be fixed with some proper silicone heater hose. And I'm pretty sure there are some other little issues that pop up with that motor but I have a 3FE so I haven't spend a ton of time looking into it. If you're in a non smog county I'd get rid of a lot of the crap.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ood-stuff.html
Old 10-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
FINIALLY!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #20

As far as the engine goes... basically thinking governor spring, fuel pin, turbo upgrade from gillette diesel

and then playing with the pump.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...ood-stuff.html

maybe some Lucas POD injectors after that.

That should give me plenty of torque.

I knew what I had to do when I saw Project rattle trap. I'll never be on that level but still...