Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

VMI Offroad OX custom trailer build for DefconBrix

Old 03-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #21
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery

......!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #22
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
This is a serious question, as I am working on my trailer build as well....

Perhaps it is not your intent to truly "off-road" with your trailer, so it may be a moot point. Why did you go with the 2" ball for a hitch? There is such a HUGE limit in vertical travel with a ball type hitch. I am building mine with a clevis type hitch, identical to the military style. The articulation with this type of hitch far exceeds the almost zero articulation of a ball hitch. So I am curious why you went with the ball.

Other than that, the trailer looks like it will be spectacular. Will the RTT be fixed height, or will you have a lift system to put the tent higher?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Something like this?

Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #24
instagram @defconbrix
DefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Sean
DefconBrix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
This is a serious question, as I am working on my trailer build as well....

Perhaps it is not your intent to truly "off-road" with your trailer, so it may be a moot point. Why did you go with the 2" ball for a hitch? There is such a HUGE limit in vertical travel with a ball type hitch. I am building mine with a clevis type hitch, identical to the military style. The articulation with this type of hitch far exceeds the almost zero articulation of a ball hitch. So I am curious why you went with the ball.

Other than that, the trailer looks like it will be spectacular. Will the RTT be fixed height, or will you have a lift system to put the tent higher?
I would not spend this kind of money if I did not intend to "offroad" it

If you look down the build list it lists a " Multi-Axis Offroad Hitch ".

For insurance/business reasons companies have to deliver these trailers with a standard hitch. After I take delivery I will be changing it out myself. I guess I could have just left that part off but that's how I am getting it and then more modifications will be happening after that.

The RTT will be a fixed height, I'm going with the new CVT 07 trailer tent so it can't be too high off the ground.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #25
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery

what are your plans for suspension on the trailer. suspension is the most limiting factor i've seen on most off road trailers. especially as soon as you get going faster than 15-20 mph off road. Best setups i've seen use coils. Jberry has the only leaf sprung trailer i've seen handle speed well.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #26
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Very Nice project! Ultimately a RTT on a trailer like this is where I would like to be. My rack mounted RTT is nice but once at camp it would be nice to hit the trails and not have to put away the RTT. And a trailer like yours could be stored in the back yard under a tarp and easily out of sight and out of the sun.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #28
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
So badass. Subbed.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #29
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefconBrix View Post
I would not spend this kind of money if I did not intend to "offroad" it

If you look down the build list it lists a " Multi-Axis Offroad Hitch ".

For insurance/business reasons companies have to deliver these trailers with a standard hitch. After I take delivery I will be changing it out myself. I guess I could have just left that part off but that's how I am getting it and then more modifications will be happening after that.

The RTT will be a fixed height, I'm going with the new CVT 07 trailer tent so it can't be too high off the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefconBrix View Post

Phase 1:

Base model OX setup.
It will include the following key features
- Full aluminum construction
- 2" ball hitch
- 10" electric brake 3500lb dexter axle
- Solid axle leaf sprung suspension with nitro shocks setup for 35" tires 6 on 5.5 lug
- Rear mounted C jacks
- Full integrated front tongue box
- Full side fenders
- Crowned lid with rain gutters for roof rack mounting
- Integrated internal bulkhead
- Marine grade trailer wiring and connections
- Marine grade hardware
- LED taillights, marker lights, and backup lights
- Aluminum swing away spare tire mount
- Multi-Axis Offroad Hitch

I see that part now. I was thinking since it was at the bottom of the same list that it was something additional to the back of the trailer. lol.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #30
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #31
Aerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
Coast Guard: Flight Mech
Name: Andre
Aerial Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
looking good! Can't wait to see more.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #32
instagram @defconbrix
DefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post

what are your plans for suspension on the trailer. suspension is the most limiting factor i've seen on most off road trailers. especially as soon as you get going faster than 15-20 mph off road. Best setups i've seen use coils. Jberry has the only leaf sprung trailer i've seen handle speed well.
I am going with the standard leaf spring and I tossed this around quite a bit - I wanted the cool factor of the 4-link and coils but it is also overkill in my opinion - I don't drive fast when offroad especially when loaded up with gear and from all the threads I have read and people I have talked to about beefing up the suspension on the trailer is kind of just for show because the performance gained is minimal. More to break and harder to do trail repairs on. Changing it up in the future after testing just might happen though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
Very Nice project! Ultimately a RTT on a trailer like this is where I would like to be. My rack mounted RTT is nice but once at camp it would be nice to hit the trails and not have to put away the RTT. And a trailer like yours could be stored in the back yard under a tarp and easily out of sight and out of the sun.

thats exactly what I was thinking! I love my rtt set up so much but wanted to be able to leave a set-up camp when out on adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial Tacoma View Post
looking good! Can't wait to see more.
More photos will be rolling in shortly!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #34
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
You gonna wrap the trailer too?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #35
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Nice progress. do you happen to know what hinges they used on the top hatch?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #36
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Now you need to move to so cal to camp with us and your hotel amenities !
Old 04-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #37
instagram @defconbrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
You gonna wrap the trailer too?
I am going to paint the fenders black to match the truck and just clear coat the "box" to keep the aluminum look. The lid will get wrapped the same as the truck. I will also being going to an aluminum PackRack and clear coating it also to match the trailer more. I like the idea of showing off the aluminum a little bit - its what makes this trailer so damn cool lol

Quote:
Nice progress. do you happen to know what hinges they used on the top hatch?
I don't but I will try to find out for you asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Now you need to move to so cal to camp with us and your hotel amenities !
I am a traveling hotel and I do foresee some SoCal trips in my future lol
Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #38
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Old 04-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #39
instagram @defconbrix
This just happened!!!

She is all mine! Well, until I get all the extras like the hot water tank, heat source, comm etc and then she will go back to VMI for all the finishing touches which will also include side entry doors powder coated black etc etc

I changed my mind on the spare tire mounted on the rear door.. too much weight back there and none on the tongue - so I had to be logical and change the plans a little for now.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #40
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great.

So how much did the trailer set you back if you don't mind me asking?