Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

VMI Offroad OX custom trailer build for DefconBrix

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #41
DefconBrix [OP] DefconBrix is offline
instagram @defconbrix
DefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Sean
Joined: Dec 2013, #118952
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
DefconBrix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Looks great.

So how much did the trailer set you back if you don't mind me asking?
This base trailer starts at roughly $10k with a 31" tire combo - it normally has a side entry door and a bulk head included but I didn't want to do that yet until I figure out all the extras I want to add so that I can utilize the space the best possible way.

This will be going back to VMI in a couple months when I gather all the parts: hot water tank, inverter, comm, on-board air, heat source, radio etc to install it all and at that time powder coat side entry doors, lid and fenders. This will be a full on build with every option I can think of lol

The weight of this trailer is about 900# which includes the heavy wheel/tire setup weighing approx 110# each. So the trailer weighs under 600# by itself. All aluminum with a 2x4 aluminum frame.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #42
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Shauncho's Avatar
Name: Shaun
Joined: Sep 2012, #87284
Location: So( ₒ Y ₒ )Cal
Gender: Dude
Posts: 3,211
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
god damn that is one sexy trailer!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #43
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jberry813's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jan 2011, #49636
Location: Lake Tahoe
Age: 33
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,398
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Goddamn. So you're going to be into it well over $12k
I suppose if you got the money!

As for the weight...dry weight is measured with the rolling rims and tires (obviously not with the spare). Mine came out to 1000lbs dry and it's solid steel. Do you have to get a weight slip in Utah to register it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #44
DefconBrix [OP] DefconBrix is offline
instagram @defconbrix
DefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Sean
Joined: Dec 2013, #118952
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
DefconBrix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Goddamn. So you're going to be into it well over $12k
I suppose if you got the money!

As for the weight...dry weight is measured with the rolling rims and tires (obviously not with the spare). Mine came out to 1000lbs dry and it's solid steel. Do you have to get a weight slip in Utah to register it?
dry weight was 900# with spare and a heavier duty tongue jack, lid and larger tongue box, electric brakes and heavier duty axle.

Remember I am also on a heavier 35" wheel/tire combo that weighs 330# by themselves. So the trailer is only 560#.

You can make a steel one pretty light but still not quite the same - apples and oranges. This company that builds these actually builds high end aluminum yachts also so the construction and quality of these are second to none.

I will have around $20k into this when it is complete. Nothing but the best, IMO! Do it right the first time and you won't have to envy others is the way I think of it lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #45
Senior Member
BlackTacoma13 is on a distinguished road
 
BlackTacoma13's Avatar
Name: Nick
Joined: Jan 2014, #121225
Location: Destin, Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 136
BlackTacoma13's Tacoma Gallery
Thing is bad ass man, wish I had the money for something like that
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #46
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jberry813's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jan 2011, #49636
Location: Lake Tahoe
Age: 33
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,398
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefconBrix View Post
dry weight was 900# with spare and a heavier duty tongue jack, lid and larger tongue box, electric brakes and heavier duty axle.

Remember I am also on a heavier 35" wheel/tire combo that weighs 330# by themselves. So the trailer is only 560#.

You can make a steel one pretty light but still not quite the same - apples and oranges. This company that builds these actually builds high end aluminum yachts also so the construction and quality of these are second to none.

I will have around $20k into this when it is complete. Nothing but the best, IMO! Do it right the first time and you won't have to envy others is the way I think of it lol
I agree with you completely. That's why I built it myself.

As for the weight, I guess I just imagined a solid aluminum trailer would be a lot lighter than 200 lbs difference (and I have the same 3500 lbs axle, drum brakes, tongue jack and completely overbuilt in terms of material thickness). Wasn't trying to be a dick or belittle it in any way.

And here's mine if you want to compare apples to oranges: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...ler-build.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #48
DefconBrix [OP] DefconBrix is offline
instagram @defconbrix
DefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Sean
Joined: Dec 2013, #118952
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
DefconBrix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
I agree with you completely. That's why I built it myself.

As for the weight, I guess I just imagined a solid aluminum trailer would be a lot lighter than 200 lbs difference (and I have the same 3500 lbs axle, drum brakes, tongue jack and completely overbuilt in terms of material thickness). Wasn't trying to be a dick or belittle it in any way.

And here's mine if you want to compare apples to oranges: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...ler-build.html
Base weight of the trailer is 740lbs (with 31" tires that come with it) and then I added to it from there.
Box size is 4x6x2 with a 5' tongue.

If you built a comparable trailer to these specs it would be double the weight.

I can go buy a cheap light weight steel trailer from Home Depot and add a thin walled box to it and larger tires and have a 600lb steel trailer but capabilities are different and so it the strength if you know what I'm saying.

Check out their website for more info
http://www.vmioffroad.com/products/x...railers-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
That thing is SWEEEET!!!!

I may need to make a trip up to B-Ham to check out VMI. I had no idea they existed, and they are only 2.5 hours away from me
Seriously head down there! They have so many amazing trailers there being built. I felt like I was in trailer heaven lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #49
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jberry813's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jan 2011, #49636
Location: Lake Tahoe
Age: 33
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,398
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefconBrix View Post
Base weight of the trailer is 740lbs (with 31" tires that come with it) and then I added to it from there.
Box size is 4x6x2 with a 5' tongue.

If you built a comparable trailer to these specs it would be double the weight.

I can go buy a cheap light weight steel trailer from Home Depot and add a thin walled box to it and larger tires and have a 600lb steel trailer but capabilities are different and so it the strength if you know what I'm saying.

Check out their website for more info
http://www.vmioffroad.com/products/x...railers-2.html
Sorry dude...you're wrong. I built my trailer from scratch:

Trailer box is 48"x80.5"x 22.5"
4' 6" tongue made of 2" receiver hitch (2.5x2.5x.250)
Frame is 2x3x.120
2x2x.120 crossmembers
33" tires with SCS F5 wheels
Bottom of trailer is skinned with 12 gauge
Sides are skinned with 14 gauge
Top is skinned with 16 gauge
Box frame is all 1.25x.120 wall
Two side doors and rear swing out door
3500 lbs axle with drum brakes

I had to have my trailer weighed in order to get it registered. Came in under 1100 lbs dry weight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #50
DefconBrix [OP] DefconBrix is offline
instagram @defconbrix
DefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Sean
Joined: Dec 2013, #118952
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
DefconBrix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Sorry dude...you're wrong. I built my trailer from scratch:

Trailer box is 48"x80.5"x 22.5"
4' 6" tongue made of 2" receiver hitch (2.5x2.5x.250)
Frame is 2x3x.120
2x2x.120 crossmembers
33" tires with SCS F5 wheels
Bottom of trailer is skinned with 12 gauge
Sides are skinned with 14 gauge
Top is skinned with 16 gauge
Box frame is all 1.25x.120 wall
Two side doors and rear swing out door
3500 lbs axle with drum brakes

I had to have my trailer weighed in order to get it registered. Came in under 1100 lbs dry weight.
You're right then.. They must be identical and my Aluminum must just be heavier aluminum. :roll eyes:

Mine is at 900 with 35" tires and a full size spare - yours no spare (when weighed).
So to compare a little closer mine would be 784 lbs with no spare and 35's with beadlocks making it 316 lbs lighter and a little bigger

35" Toyo M/T's 83 lbs each
17" Method 105 beadlocks 34 lbs each
= 116 lb wheel tire combo each

If I was to put a 33" combo like you and run no spare I would likely be under 700lbs making the comparison closer to a 400 lb difference.

This has been fun though
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #51
DefconBrix [OP] DefconBrix is offline
instagram @defconbrix
DefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Sean
Joined: Dec 2013, #118952
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
DefconBrix's Tacoma Gallery
Easter Jeep Safari testing

* on a 2" ball during this trip. My Max Coupler should be installed within the next few weeks.









  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #52
DefconBrix [OP] DefconBrix is offline
instagram @defconbrix
DefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Sean
Joined: Dec 2013, #118952
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
DefconBrix's Tacoma Gallery






every camping trip needs to include an adult beverage or two

  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #53
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Boone's Avatar
Name: Chris
Joined: Jul 2012, #82731
Location: Boone, NC
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,777
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefconBrix View Post





every camping trip needs to include an adult beverage or two

I guess the spare no expense and get the best stops just shy of decent beer. Damn nice trailer though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #54
DefconBrix [OP] DefconBrix is offline
instagram @defconbrix
DefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Sean
Joined: Dec 2013, #118952
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
DefconBrix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
I guess the spare no expense and get the best stops just shy of decent beer. Damn nice trailer though.
lol I try. I'm usually a Bud kind of guy but lately have gotten into Corona more. The shock top was left over from a BOB party that I figured I would polish off also. I need a koozie for some hard liquor!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #55
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jberry813's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jan 2011, #49636
Location: Lake Tahoe
Age: 33
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,398
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefconBrix View Post
You're right then.. They must be identical and my Aluminum must just be heavier aluminum. :roll eyes:

Mine is at 900 with 35" tires and a full size spare - yours no spare (when weighed).
So to compare a little closer mine would be 784 lbs with no spare and 35's with beadlocks making it 316 lbs lighter and a little bigger

35" Toyo M/T's 83 lbs each
17" Method 105 beadlocks 34 lbs each
= 116 lb wheel tire combo each

If I was to put a 33" combo like you and run no spare I would likely be under 700lbs making the comparison closer to a 400 lb difference.

This has been fun though
LOL. You said "double" the weight.
Dick swinging aside, I'm digging your rig and trailer. Great combo man.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #56
DefconBrix [OP] DefconBrix is offline
instagram @defconbrix
DefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Sean
Joined: Dec 2013, #118952
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
DefconBrix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
LOL. You said "double" the weight.
Dick swinging aside, I'm digging your rig and trailer. Great combo man.
lol I hope you know I truly am chuckling when responding and bantering with you. Sometimes tone gets lost over this internet thing I'll be coming to cali for the American Adventurist event and would love to get some photos of both our set ups next to each other and on the trails! It's not often you find a matching expo trailer combo and dick swinging aside lol I truly do dig yours also! I sure as hell wouldn't be able to fab up my own so my hats off to you sir!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #57
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jberry813's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Jan 2011, #49636
Location: Lake Tahoe
Age: 33
Gender: Guy
Posts: 12,398
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefconBrix View Post
lol I hope you know I truly am chuckling when responding and bantering with you. Sometimes tone gets lost over this internet thing I'll be coming to cali for the American Adventurist event and would love to get some photos of both our set ups next to each other and on the trails! It's not often you find a matching expo trailer combo and dick swinging aside lol I truly do dig yours also! I sure as hell wouldn't be able to fab up my own so my hats off to you sir!
Sounds great. Keep me posted.
Depending which way you go, you'll likely pass right by my house and the beer is always cold here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #58
DefconBrix [OP] DefconBrix is offline
instagram @defconbrix
DefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefconBrix is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Sergeant of Marines
Name: Sean
Joined: Dec 2013, #118952
Location: Utah
Gender: Male
Posts: 322
DefconBrix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Sounds great. Keep me posted.
Depending which way you go, you'll likely pass right by my house and the beer is always cold here.
Oh I like the way you think!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #59
Senior Member
Tacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacodriver08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Joined: Mar 2011, #52270
Location: Texas
Gender: Male
Posts: 310
Tacodriver08's Tacoma Gallery
Love the trailer man, cant blame you for doing it right if you have the money.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #60
Junior Member
Trentw is on a distinguished road
 
Trentw's Avatar
Name: Trent
Joined: Feb 2013, #98385
Location: American Fork, UT
Gender: Male
Posts: 17
Trentw's Tacoma Gallery
Wish I could weld aluminum right now! Awesome trailer I'm jelly
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DefconBrix [ the build ] DefconBrix 2nd Gen. Builds 623 12-15-2014 07:30 PM
Custom offroad trailer Box Rocket Buy / Sell / Trade 22 02-19-2014 04:43 PM
Offroad camp trailer. ACLakey Off-Roading & Trails 10 03-21-2012 06:14 PM
Ox locker scyot89 1st Gen. Tacomas 2 10-06-2011 01:59 PM
R.I.P Jeff Ox Kargola dpalmer619 Motorcycles 4 05-10-2011 12:04 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.