Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

JeepAndrew's Jetski Trailer-to-Offroad RTT Hauler Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #42
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAndrew View Post
Hmm that is pretty cool! Where did you get yours?
Amazon, last year for 40 bucks
Old 04-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #44
Toyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Toyanvil's Tacoma Gallery
I went old school, with 4 Atwood jacks extended 8", light weight, sets up in minutes on any surface, with or without being hooked to my truck.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #46
Nah Bitch Dragoons
JeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
JeepAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Back to work!!

This evening I focused on the tongue bar. The trailer-side attachment on the Max Coupler is a 2" receiver bar, so the trailer tongue needed the corresponding 2.5" hitch sleeve, which I just so happened to have an 18" piece of. It was a bit loose fitting inside the 3" tongue bar, so I shimmed it up on all 4 sides with 18" strips of 2"X1/8" steel flat strap, welded solidly to the outside of the sleeve. This made for a very tight fit inside the tongue bar (had to be driven into the bar with a sledge hammer) with no movement whatsoever. Finally, I did 6 rosette welds to permanently bond the coupler sleeve to the tongue bar. Still need to fill the corners but it turned out great! Tongue bar metal thickness is nearly 1/2"!

Here's a pic to give an idea of the articulation of the Max Coupler. This thing can flex!

The #1 thing I really like about the trailer-side attachment on the Max Coupler is that it's entirely removable; I can remove the coupler, leave the trailer set up at camp while I go explore etc, and don't have to worry about someone coming along and hooking up and stealing it

Here's how it's sitting right now, not bad for a total of 3 days work! The tailgate, deck and sides will be tackled tomorrow!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #47
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #49
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great Andrew.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #50
Nah Bitch Dragoons
JeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Today I went by one of the local trailer places and picked up a 2,000# rated Curt brand trailer jack with a round tube sleeve attachment. Also stopped in at our local Industrial Metal Supply and picked up two 12"x48" pieces of 10 gauge sheet for the fenders. Once I got home I went to work finishing the end of the tongue bar and welding the jack sleeve onto the trailer.

Next came the deck and sides. I used 14 gauge steel sheet, cut to required sizes. Each piece was C-clamped into position and tacked in place with the Lincoln Here it is hooked up to the jeep, with just the 3 sides in place:

The tongue weight is now around 80# I think. I took it around the neighborhood again and it tracks and tows great!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #51
whys the rum gone
snowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snowtank's Tacoma Gallery
Much tires. Very awesome. So cool. way to keep the andrew name epic!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #52
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #53
Fuck that rock.
Crawlin WJ is on a distinguished road

Name: Derrick
Crawlin WJ's Tacoma Gallery
this is coming along smoothly. Good job man!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #54
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin damn good brotha.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #56
Nah Bitch Dragoons

Made a lot of progress this weekend!

Fabricated the flat steel fenders out of 10 gauge sheet, cut and welded angles over the tires accordingly

Tailgate frame was built out of the same 1.5"x1.5"x1/8" square tube as the siderail uprights. I used $20 heavy duty commercial door hinges from Lowes.

I also had ordered a couple 1,000lb tire gate latches off of ebay to use as tailgate latches.

I needed to strengthen the fender bottoms, so we cut pieces of 2"x3"x1/8" and welded them into the frame along the ends of the fenders. These will act as stiffeners and rock protection.

Finished the tailgate by paneling it with 1/4" maple hardwood. I decided to go with the maple to keep the rear weight down. It's very strong and had no issues supporting me while I sat on it. I did some of the sheetwork in the bed, I'll be finishing that up tomorrow after work. Also ran the trailer light wiring and mounted up some cheap trailer lights I picked up from Autozone that should work nicely on the trail

By this evening I had sprayed it with gray Rustoleum self-etching primer, as you can see. Stuff works great!

This coming weekend I'll be taking it on a 500 mile road trip to northern AZ as a test run, so I'm planning on having it mostly done before Thursday
Old 04-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #57
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
nice!!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #59
Nah Bitch Dragoons

This evening I finished the trailer light wiring by adding a license plate light to the tailgate, and welding hookups for the safety chains. All that's left to do is the deck, watercan holders (waiting on the cans to arrive) and the onboard 120v power. And of course there's the rack setup for the RTT that still needs to be done.

I took it for a test run behind my Cherokee to test the lights and just to drive it around.

It's unbelievable how light this thing is. Between my two jeeps, the Cherokee, with all the engine mods, has way more power by far than the wrangler, and I honestly couldn't feel it behind me at all. It tracks perfectly straight and is very easy to back up. I'd estimate that it only weighs around 500-600lbs.

Here's a quick cost breakdown so far:

Jetski trailer = free
3- 15x12 steel rims = free
3 tires- 33x12.5x15 mud claws = $620
Max Coupler = $287
Tailgate latches = $83
Misc steel (square & round tubing, sheet etc) $575
Trailer lights and onboard power wiring = $350

Total cost so far = $1915, along with approx 5 days labor.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #60
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome so far.

Products Discussed in this Thread