Made a lot of progress this weekend!
Fabricated the flat steel fenders out of 10 gauge sheet, cut and welded angles over the tires accordingly
Tailgate frame was built out of the same 1.5"x1.5"x1/8" square tube as the siderail uprights. I used $20 heavy duty commercial door hinges from Lowes
I also had ordered a couple 1,000lb tire gate latches off of ebay
to use as tailgate latches.
I needed to strengthen the fender bottoms, so we cut pieces of 2"x3"x1/8" and welded them into the frame along the ends of the fenders. These will act as stiffeners and rock protection.
Finished the tailgate by paneling it with 1/4" maple hardwood. I decided to go with the maple to keep the rear weight down. It's very strong and had no issues supporting me while I sat on it. I did some of the sheetwork in the bed, I'll be finishing that up tomorrow after work. Also ran the trailer light wiring and mounted up some cheap trailer lights I picked up from Autozone
that should work nicely on the trail
By this evening I had sprayed it with gray Rustoleum self-etching primer, as you can see. Stuff works great!
This coming weekend I'll be taking it on a 500 mile road trip to northern AZ as a test run, so I'm planning on having it mostly done before Thursday