Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

JeepAndrew's Jetski Trailer-to-Offroad RTT Hauler Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Jeep driving High Voltage junkie
JeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
JeepAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
JeepAndrew's Jetski Trailer-to-Offroad RTT Hauler Build

Teaser pic

Since camping out of a two door Jeep Wrangler sucks (lack of cargo space) and I'm in the market for a roof top tent, I made the long overdue decision that I needed an offroad/camping trailer. I wanted something Expo-style or similar to Boxrocket's trailer but didn't want to spend thousands of $$$ on a prebuilt trailer. I had a 3/4 ton single jetski/PWC trailer that I didn't use anymore, soo I put my building/fab skills to work!

This is how it looked when I rolled into the garage the night before I got started. The frame measured 46"x33" with a 10 foot total tongue bar length:

The next day, I started by stripping the license plate and trailer lights, pulling the wheels, flipping the trailer over and stripping the old axle assembly.

The original axle assembly wasn't wide enough to mount the 15x10 rims and 33" tires I wanted to run, so it was set aside to have the carrier/hub assemblies removed from the old axle bar. On the good side, I checked the lug pattern with my old stock spare jeep rim, and the hubs just happened to be 5x4.5 bolt pattern, same as my jeeps!

I enlisted the help of CrawlinWJ and his welding skills to help me extend the trailer frame from the stock 33" to 62". This was done with 2"x3"x1/8" box steel. I used 1/8" to match the thickness of the stock C-channel frame. All weld joints were cleaned of paint beforehand of course.

We determined the balance point on the trailer and set the axle centerline 4 inches behind that to give it a good tongue weight, then we set the spring perches in place, double-checked our measurements, and welded them on.

I then measured the hub-to-hub width on the rear axle on my jeep (approx 58"). We cut a piece of 1.25x.250 round tube, 53" long. We then cut the old hub assemblies and spring mounts off of the old C-channel axle bar, cleaned off the round spindle bars with a flap wheel and slid them into the tube, then did 4 rosette welds on each end to secure them. End result was a hub-to-hub of 58". The spring mounts were then welded onto the new axle tube, and bolted to the springs. Next came the sides:

I went with 6-1.5x1.5x1/8", 18" long for the siderail uprights, with a 2x3x1/8 at front-center above the tongue bar to support the spare rim and tire. Here it is with the axle mounted and side uprights done.

At this point I wanted to test it out, so I borrowed two of the 33" MTRs off my wrangler and hooked it up to my Cherokee for a run around the neighborhood. It tracked straight and is very light!

I used the stock 1-7/8 ball hitch for the test but will be getting either a Lock-n-roll or Max Coupler for permanent use. I'll also be reducing the tongue length later on (depending on which hitch I go with).

The build continues!!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...ml#post8508587

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...ml#post8526839

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...ml#post8532844

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...ml#post8537152

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...ml#post8544761

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...ml#post8549156

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/oth...ml#post8890710
Old 04-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
POOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedPOOLGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: JEFF
POOLGUY's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Aztacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
05Aztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
whys the rum gone
snowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snowtank's Tacoma Gallery
Oh in for this! and cant wait to see this with us on the trail!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Fuck that rock.
Crawlin WJ is on a distinguished road

Name: Derrick
Crawlin WJ's Tacoma Gallery
gonna be a bad ass trailer.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
subd... even if a heep is town it, I'm sure it'll be an awesome trailer!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
Li0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Captain
Name: Lionel
Li0nel1234's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious... subbed.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
JTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTS2014TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
JTS2014TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Sub a dub dubbed
Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
three men in a tub'd
Old 04-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #14
OG Soaker
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery

Lookin good Buddy!
Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
whys the rum gone
snowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowtank is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snowtank's Tacoma Gallery
Its been 3 days since new photos! Get back to work. And text inbound about the "super awesome cooking platform"
Old 04-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Is this thing done yet?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #17
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
Toyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyanvil is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Toyanvil's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #20
Jeep driving High Voltage junkie
JeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeepAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeepAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up the steel Friday to resume the trailer build. Today we got on it again, starting with the top rails on the sides. I went with 1'x3''x1/8 thick box for the top rails. The ends were cut to 45 degrees for the corners and welded on.

I'm using the stock trailer wheels right now just for moveablility

Next came the spare tire carrier. For departure angle reasons, I wanted the carrier over the tongue bar. I used a 6" diameter, 3/16" round plate with three lug studs welded into it to mount the tire to. The round spare holder plate is welded to the center upright with a 6.5" piece of 2"x3"x1/8" with two precut 3/16" triangle gussetts for strength.

I used the 33x12.50 spare off my Cherokee for a test fit. The tire just barely sits on the hitch bar, which should keep bouncing forces to a minimum.

Here's the trailer hitch system I went with; the Max Coupler Claimed to be the best offroad hitch system on the market. I ordered it yesterday afternoon so it should be here soon!

I also picked up some 14 gauge sheet for the floor and sides and will be getting on that later today!

Products Discussed in this Thread