Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

Gear Head's 82 Pickup Build

Old 04-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #41
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
Gear Head's Tacoma Gallery
3 coats base, 3 coats clear

Old 04-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #42
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Looks freaking awesome dude. Just make sure to pull the hood off and spray it with it vertical. Trying to spray horizontal with a rattle can leaves a over spray texture.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #43
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
Looks freaking awesome dude. Just make sure to pull the hood off and spray it with it vertical. Trying to spray horizontal with a rattle can leaves a over spray texture.
Yeah I thought about that after I got started but I didn't want to touch the fender (which does have a little overspray from the clear coat). I've got a huge piece of plastic I'll tape to the drywall and lean the hood up against that and hopefully get it painted tomorrow. Gotta go buy a bunch more paint though. Used almost a whole can on the fender haha.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #44
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's about right. I used about 4 cans on my 4Runner when I paint it and it was barely two coats.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #45

Well, one ER trip last night and one Ophthalmologist appointment later, I finally have a metal fragment out of my eye. Wont be working on the truck for a few days. It was a terrible experience and I would have much rather broken an arm.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #46
muddedtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Wesley
muddedtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Head View Post
Well, one ER trip last night and one Ophthalmologist appointment later, I finally have a metal fragment out of my eye. Wont be working on the truck for a few days. It was a terrible experience and I would have much rather broken an arm.
Ow, hurts my eye thinking about it. I hope you get feeling better and can work on it soon.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #48

Yeah tell me about it fellas. Had to have it dug out with a needle then he came back with a small dremel looking tool and basically ground around the area where the metal was to get the rust out.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #49

Safety glasses are a good investment
Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #50

Tell me about it. I got a pair right after this and I'll never not wear them again. I tried wearing some sunglasses but it was just too dark since I was in my garage.

Since I can't really work on it, here's a teaser for the new paint.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #51
muddedtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Wesley
muddedtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Tell me about it. I got a pair right after this and I'll never not wear them again. I tried wearing some sunglasses but it was just too dark since I was in my garage.

Since I can't really work on it, here's a teaser for the new paint.

I like the look of the paint you did. I rattle canned my tacoma as a temporary fix to the dead paint and the white primer I had on the hood. After I'm done with my engine rebuild. will prob rapter line it.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #52
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Talk to box rocket about those! IIRC he's had a couple trips there for metal fragments
Old 04-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #53
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Done that too many times. Sucks. Even wearing glasses I've been bit.

Digging the tan paint. With the right black accents it will look sweet. If it were me I would NOT do black rockers. Just the grill and window trims and door handles.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Done that too many times. Sucks. Even wearing glasses I've been bit.

Digging the tan paint. With the right black accents it will look sweet. If it were me I would NOT do black rockers. Just the grill and window trims and door handles.
Well I will at least be wearing safety glasses from now on, already picked up a pair!

And why do you say no black rockers? I like them but the plan was to finish the tan and see how I felt about that before doing the rockers.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #55

I'd say not black rockers. Never really liked them but that's just personal preference.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #56
tired
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
I don't like the look of black rockers.

This isn't a great pic but here's another idea. I good friend built this truck back in the late 90's. He's a big dude, like 6'4" and didn't fit too well in the 1st gen so I welded on the back of another cab and cut out the back wall of the cab. Actually turned out really good. He wheeled the snot out of it.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #57

I know his pain. Driving a regular is a pain in the ass bring tall
Old 04-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
I'd say not black rockers. Never really liked them but that's just personal preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
I don't like the look of black rockers.

This isn't a great pic but here's another idea. I good friend built this truck back in the late 90's. He's a big dude, like 6'4" and didn't fit too well in the 1st gen so I welded on the back of another cab and cut out the back wall of the cab. Actually turned out really good. He wheeled the snot out of it.
Gotcha, like I said I'm going to get the whole thing solid tan and go from there.

I've have seen some pretty sweet custom cabs like that online but idk that I'd ever go that route. I'm 6'2" and I'm actually pretty comfortable in it. That being said my seat is against the cab wall and I can't lean back haha. Good thing I'm not any taller.

This is one from pirate:
Old 04-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #59

Spent 2 hours sanding down my hood and laid a coat of paint down. Grabbed a new can for the second coat and it started spraying out dark brown powdery shit. Now I have to sand the fucker down again and find a new place that sells the same line of paint

On a good note though, a light bulb went off today. I'm headed to my parents' tomorrow if it's not raining to use his da sander and other air tools to finish since they are out of the country. Gonna look redneck as hell with no front fenders or hood driving down the road haha.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #60
cab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to allcab4you26 is a name known to all

Name: Corey
cab4you26's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks good man. I like the new color.