Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

Gear Head's 82 Pickup Build

Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #81
ttaM will become famous soon enoughttaM will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
ttaM's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #83
Holy schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wyatt
Holy schmidt's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet trucks man! Both of them are awesome
Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 AM   #85
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
Gear Head's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
wow. that. Is. Sexy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaOverAll View Post
Like it. Lots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
Oh my. I love where this is going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy schmidt View Post
Sweet trucks man! Both of them are awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyfield19 View Post
One word. BADASSNESS!! Well done.
I really appreciate the compliments guys! I think the tan turned out freaking awesome. Love it so much I'm not going to to bedline the rockers anytime soon. I'm getting my 220 plug wired Monday so hopefully I can get some practice time in with the new welder and if I can find a local metal supplier I will be building a set of sliders very soon. I've also been talking with a member about him coming over and putting his lift on for him so I can get his stock suspension for the Tacoma and then I'll be able to swap the 63's and bilsteins over to the pickup!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #86
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So I was out running errands in the pickup today and found a pavement bank/loading dock to mess around on. Went over it in 2 low first gear and even with the 4.7's it still felt pretty fast and didn't have much control. There's going to be a big learning curve for wheeling a manual but 5.29's just moved up the priority list.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #87
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
If you use the brake to keep it under control and the gas just to keep it alive it should be slow enough for your liking. Brake throttle modulation take some getting used to but it helps keeping everything under control and steady.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #88
T4rwildlife has a brilliant futureT4rwildlife has a brilliant futureT4rwildlife has a brilliant futureT4rwildlife has a brilliant futureT4rwildlife has a brilliant futureT4rwildlife has a brilliant futureT4rwildlife has a brilliant futureT4rwildlife has a brilliant futureT4rwildlife has a brilliant futureT4rwildlife has a brilliant futureT4rwildlife has a brilliant future
Name: Alek
T4rwildlife's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome man, can't wait to see this thing!
Old 05-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4rwildlife View Post
Looks awesome man, can't wait to see this thing!
Thanks bud! That'd be a long ass drive in this thing haha. It aint no Cadillac...

So I found some 5.29's with welded carriers for $300 and I'm wondering if it would be worth my time. The reason I ask is because yes I could run them welded but, I'd rather run lockers since I run this thing on the street and plan on driving it to the trail for a while. So basically I'm paying $300 for used gears and would still eventually have to pick up two install kits and a locker and an open carrier for when I don't want to run welded anymore. Or should I suck it up and run them welded because I plan on selling the tacoma and picking up a full size 4 door later this year or sometime next that I'll be able to tow it with.

And just for comparison I found one 5.29 r&p new in box for $100 and the other r&p and 2 install kits from ECGS is $465.

Annnnd one more thing, what could I get out of my diffs if I decide to sell? 4.10's, one is welded, one has a lock right and triple drilled flange.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #90

Got my 220 plug wired today but I was up from 9am Sunday to 10am Monday so I haven't even messed with it, I just went to sleep haha. Probably working a lot overtime this week so I probably wont be able to get it dialed in till the weekend. Hoping to pick up some material for sliders soon and once I can get my last stock piece for the Taco I can swap the 63's over then bob and dovetail
Old 05-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #91

Practicing for the truck. First and last weld after about 30 min of messing around with gas flow and pulling out fucking birds nests

Old 05-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #92
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What kind of gun technique are you using?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
What kind of gun technique are you using?
Probably not a good one lol. I hold it at 45* to the joint, I pull my welds, and run about 1/2" stick out. I was referred to weldingtipsandtricks.com so I've been watching videos on there and going to try some different things when I pick up som new wire.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #94

Here's a pic with of one the welded 5.29 thirds..

Old 05-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #95

Yeah that's not the good way to weld them. Welding them to the carrier like that will weaken the carrier. Usually you would cut a rectangle plate out that would fit between the 4 spiders and the plat to the spiders and do that for opposite side as well.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
Yeah that's not the good way to weld them. Welding them to the carrier like that will weaken the carrier. Usually you would cut a rectangle plate out that would fit between the 4 spiders and the plat to the spiders and do that for opposite side as well.
So I guess the question is, is it worth $300? I came across a guy with a brand new ring and pinion for $100 and the other ring and pinion and 2 install kits are $465 from ECGS so $565 then I still have to set them up which I have never done.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #97

Problem solved

And I've been talking to a guy who wants to trade his 37x12.50x16.5 with wheels for my 35's and wheels. He's supposed to get back to me today
Old 05-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #98

Took the '82 to a Triad 4x4 meet and greet tonight. Some pretty sweet rigs there

Badass pickup

Custom diesel 4 door yj on 53's

My gf is 5'3" for reference..

Old 05-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #99

Got the 82 on some logging roads behind my parents' today. Welded rear is pretty sweet in the dirt! Never put it in 4x4 in places that my tacoma needed it. 4.7 tcase gears are amazing too! Went to pull up a bank for a 3 point turn and since I wasn't in 4x4 the front tires wouldn't climb so just for shits and giggles I just let the clutch out with no gas and the rears just spun real slow and the truck was pinned on the bank haha.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #100
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Subd