1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

M1101 Surplus Trailer Camp Rig Build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by livintall, May 8, 2014.

1. May 8, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    livintall

livintall [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD OR
    So I've been wanting a camp rig for quite a while now and I have been looking out for trailers that would be suitable. I wanted something that I could customize and build as my own. I was looking M101a's but all the ones I could find were pretty beat up or modified. In my research I came across the M1101's they were built for HMMWV. They only weigh 100 lbs. more than the M101's and are MUCH bigger. I kept watching govliquidation.com for upcoming auctions. I lost some that were close by. They went for way more than I wanted to pay (around $1200) I found these at Ft. Bliss, TX (500 miles away) I threw down a one time bid for $750 and let it go because I didn't want to get in to a bidding war. The auction ended with me winning this one for $660!!!! After buyers premium of 10% it ended up being exactly $726. It's a lot of trailer for that price. Fortunately I didn't have to apply for a EUC but I had to get it off the base in 10 days from the paid in full date. I looked into what I needed for recovery. This trailer was listed as very good condition (B code) but many people have showed up to get these and had issues with dragging brakes and wiring issues and tire problems so I packed up a bunch of tools, my air compressor, some zip ties, some temporary HF magnetic trailer lights, brand new pintle hitch, extra chain, and a couple locks for the hitch and headed the 425 miles down to El Paso (I live in Phoenix)
    I was a little nervous about getting this trailer back because of the unknowns....Is it mechanically sound? Will the truck be able to pull it back?

I drive down the night before pick up day so I could be on base nice and early. Found the location of the yard. There was a huge yard full of trailers, trucks, and equipment all going for auction and it was kinda cool to walk around and look. I waited a 30 minutes for this guy to show up to work so he can direct me to my trailer. When he gets there, he leads me over to around 30 other M1101's. Some of them look pretty beat up. Even though I had seen pictures of the trailer I bought, I started getting a little nervous. We walked all the way to the end of the line and he points out my trailer..........It looks brand new and never used!!!! WooHoo! I pull it out by hand and it rolls easy, that's the first win. I get out my tools and go to work with all the checks and wiring the temporary lights. Everything looks brand new on it, even the tires. Ok now I'm excited. It hitches up just fine and off I went. Stopped by the Texas DMV and got a one-way registration so I could get it out of state. I got it back to my hotel and changed out the 24v bulbs in the rear to 12v. I started to pull out marker bulbs and realized that they are all LED's. This is awesome because they work just fine on 12V. Wired in something more permanent. All looks good for transport.
    Now I had never pulled anything long distance with the Taco so this was going to be an adventure. I wake up early the next morning with a headache from being out in the sun and dehydrated from going through this trailer all day. I walk out the door and the wind is absolutely obnoxious. We're talking about 30 MPH with 40-50 MPH gusts. To make it worse, it's a headwind. I prepped for the worst and hit the road. So this trailer pulls beautifully. Even with all the headwinds, crosswinds, and dust storms, it always felt solid. The truck easily did 65-70 with the winds pushing back. All fears relieved. 160 miles later I filled up the tank for 10.5 MPG. Not too bad considering the re-cock-u-lous head wind. After crossing the New Mexico border the winds calmed down and I just cruised at 75 and if I didn't watch it I was doing 85. Trailer felt solid and I almost forgot it's back there. Next tank got me 13.5 MPG. That's not too bad considering 75 MPH with a trailer in tow. So I'm home safe and the trailer definitely gets attention. I've already had a few of the neighbors stop by to ask questions.
    I took it this AM to get it titled and registered. The MVD had no idea what to do with it. We finally decided that I need to get an SF-97 form from the government stating the release of ownership. It takes 30 days. So I asked them what I do since I drove it here? They inspect it, applied an Arizona VIN plate to the trailer and gave me a 90 day registration. When I get the paperwork, I can go back and get the title and permanent registration.
    So future plans are:
    1. Telescoping rack for a RTT
    2. 20gal. water tank with pump.
    3. A couple deep cycle batteries.
    4. Propane bottle and lines run for a gas stove.
    5. RTT of course
    6. LED lighting in the tent and around the trailer, solar for keeping the batteries charged
    7. Possible small generator down the road.

I'm going to try to update this thread as I go. It's going to be a long process due to work, school, life, etc. but I'm hoping for getting this done within a year. :D

M1101Truck.jpg
    M1101Trailer4.jpg
    M1101Trailer1.jpg
    M1101Trailer2.jpg
    M1101Trailer3.jpg
    M1101Trailer5.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    EdinCincinnati and Aatmoore like this.
  2. May 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    livintall

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD OR
    reserved for build

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  3. May 8, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    livintall

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD OR
    Reserved for build progress

4. May 8, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    God damn thats a sweet ass Trailer! :drool:

subbed :popcorn:

5. May 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    Jon850FL

Jon850FL is Lurkin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFS, FL
    hell yea

6. May 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    livintall

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD OR
    For $726 ........well with gas to get it and hotel etc. I'm in it for 950. Even then I hit the jackpot

7. May 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM
    livintall

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD OR
    That is a good idea! there is plenty of area/space that I could do that. I don't think it would have to be either/or

8. May 8, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    Theloraxcross

Theloraxcross "He's Got the Crazy Eye"

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    San Angelo Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD OR
    Man that thing is awesome. I bet it feels great to get that good of a deal. Sub'd for the build.

9. May 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    Mother of god, that's a sweet trailer, you basically stole the thing....

10. May 8, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    livintall

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD OR
    I pretty much did steal it. It's never been used. Check out the tires still have the new tire hairs

Trailer tire hairs.jpg

11. May 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM
    Gaunt596

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    :drool: i want one of these now for camping. have you considered getting the soft top or the fiberglass top for it?

Edit: also, how is your Pintle hitch mounted?

12. May 8, 2014 at 6:46 PM
    livintall

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD OR

The tops for this trailer are really tall and would just act like a wind sail. That's another reason I want to build the rack for the RTT to be telescoping so I can drop it down when towing for the best possible aerodynamics then raise it when I get to camp.

13. May 8, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    Gaunt596

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    cool, the trailer did look a bit tall, but i figured it was that the thing is rolling on 37's :eek:

14. May 8, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    livintall

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD OR
    Yep 37's! Bed height is nearly identical to the truck with my 3" lift and 265 tires. Keep in mind also that this trailer is a bit wider than the truck so there is enough shenanigans to catch wind back there.

15. May 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    livintall

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD OR
    I forgot to mentioned the tires are also run flats. 37x12.5 16.5

16. May 8, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Here's a trailer I bought a few months back, I've got an RTT on it - I also want to do some of the things the OP is talking about like water and propane storage etc...

It's a late '70s Sutter trailer (made in Austria). I like it because it's very small, light and narrow. It follows the truck really well on the trails.

This pic shows it behind my Pinzgauer, but I also plan on using behind my Taco also!

[​IMG]

17. May 8, 2014 at 7:44 PM
    livintall

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD OR
    You definitely have a thing for the Austrian. That's a pretty cool setup. I've never seen a Pinzgauer before

18. May 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JEFF
    ALABAMA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT 6 SPEED
    Dobinsons suspension
    I thought about getting one of those, to do the same thing. subbed to watch your progress.

19. May 14, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    stphnman20

stphnman20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SCV
    Vehicle:
    2016 T4R
    Tagged.

I'm doing research now to do the same build. Really interested on how this is going to turn out.

20. May 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM
    brav65

brav65 New Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    4-runner
    Hey Joe,

My name is Brooks and I l have just started researching the purchase of an M1101. I plan to build a camping trailer as well. My number is 602-725-6778 and my e-mail is brooks.ravenscroft@gmail.com. I live in North Phoenix, I would love to talk about your experience as a bunch of M1101's are up for auction at the beginning of June at Fort Bliss.

Thanks,

Brooks

Products Discussed in

To Top