Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

DRZ400 Buildup & BS Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
DRZ400 Buildup & BS Thread

Hi Folks!

I thought I'd document my DRZ400 conversion for others to see. This is a 2004 DRZ400e which is just a regular ole dirt bike with electric start. You may have read or seen others convert these machines into street legal bikes, which is exactly what I am doing.

The purpose of this build is to rip up the back roads but still be able to go on extended adventure trips with backpacking gear. Sorry, not going full tard here, maybe sometime down the line.

Here it is when I first purchased the bike in Tampa, Fl. The guy I bought it from used it for extended trips that were strictly offroad. I bought it for about $1700 with about 2,500 miles. The seller threw in a few farkles and an extra back tire too! Woot!

So to get this street legal here in the great state of Kentucky there are a few mods you have to do to a regular ole dirt bike. So I started ripping it apart (before I even rode it). You'll see another DRZ in the background, that's my step dads who is also converting to a street legal bike.

So you may be wondering, why not just buy a street legal DRZ like the "S" or the "SM" model. Well I tell ya, I would've loved too, but they do go for a much steeper price than the "E". Also, the "E" model has a few components that are an upgrade to those with the "S" and "SM" model. For instance, its considerably lighter, has better suspension, I prefer a plastic tank, better carb, bigger stronger cam, and a few other things that have slipped my mind. The weight difference and carb alone make the "E" a much better performer than the others.

Its maiden voyage to Kentucky!

Back to the conversion, I bought a street legal kit from Tusk which comes complete with wiring harness, LED mini-stalk front turn signals, LED flush mount rear turn signals, flasher relay, horn, hydraulic brake switch, LED taillight/brake light, dual sport folding mirror, On/Off switch, and control switch. That's all the components I need to get it street legal in Kentucky BUT that's not where it stops. You have to document every step of your process. For instance, at 12pm on 7/29 I removed all the plastic panels and wired each light into the ignition switch so that they turn off/on with the key.

That's just an example, ideally the more details the better. So, I have about 7 pages worth of notes to submit to the DMV. This must be notarized. You must keep all of your receipts and submit them with these notes. After its put back together, the county sheriff must provide a written statement that my DRZ now meets the state requirements for motorcycles IE turn signals, horn, mirror, etc. After I have all of those documents signed, I must apply for a rebuilt title. Once that is all done, I'll submit all of these documents to the DMV and walla! A plated dirtbike!! WOOT!

The Tusk kit is just alright, to get it titled, its fine. But I have already decided that I want to upgrade a few things that came with this kit. The LED lights are great! They give this dated bike a modern look, and they are BRIGHT! Can't complain with that. The light control switch is cheap and I doubt it will last in the weather. So I bought the stock switch from a XR650, that should arrive this Friday 8/1. I'm also upgrading the mirror, because the plastic one they send you SUCKS!!! In order to actually use it, I sanded the ball so the clamp would grip it and cut up some old bike tubes to keep the clamp from slipping on the bars. Its a terrible mirror, only good for snorting blo... wait a minute! wrong thread!

Here is the mirror I am thinking about, it keeps it in my line of vision and it can be tucked away for off road. Its a DRC offroad mirror.

Here are the Honda XR650 controls that I'll hopefully install this weekend.

Let's talk about some of the other stuff I installed to get the bike up to par.

I went with the DOT approved Michelin T63 tires front & back. They're rated as a 40/60 tire I believe 40 street 60 off road. They do well on both, I've been very impressed with them on the road. You do feel the knobbies on turns but you can still drop a knee and dig deep. Also, at high speeds 55 - 70mph you can tell you're riding on the middle knobbies. Hard to explain, but I would describe them as agile at high speeds. I think I'll be able to get about 2,500 - 3,000 miles out of these. The dirt is where this tire really signs, its just like any other dirt bike tire, it grips and rips. I haven't ridden in wet conditions, that review to follow.

Next up: GPS Now I made a mistake here, not in what I purchased but how I purchased. I went through ebay and bid on the GPS with no intention to buy it. I know, I'm a terrible buyer. I bid on this GPS because it was priced very low, and I figured someone else would outbid me right away! WRONG! No one else bid and I ended up with a Garmin Oregon 300. Not a bad unit, but I have nothing to compare it to since its my first ever GPS. I needed a way to mount it, so I went with a Ram EZ strap mount. It gets ok reviews, many people complain about breaking the main strap. I haven't done this yet. Its a nice mount for the $$, I use it in my truck and on the bike so its nice to be able to remove it from the bars to the truck or vise versa with relative ease.

EZ-Strap Handlebar Mount
Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here are some pics from lastweekends ride. 200 miles around Northern Kentucky and Southern Ohio. We were cruising some back roads near the Licking River and saw a few off road trails. Got to love having a dual sport!

This is an old farm in Ohio that was abandoned a long time ago apparently.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #3

I ended up buying the AFX FX-41 DS helmet because of the price and features. A full review to follow. First impressions: Super cool looking helmet, great vision, great ventilation & fit, SO MANY FEATURES!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 AM   #4

Went to Shawnee State Park in Southern Ohio over the weekend. It has numerous forest roads and bulldozer track from the logging being done. It was a great mixture of pavement, dirt, and gravel. Perfect Dualsporting!

This is a pic just entering Shawnee. They have designated water fording areas throughout the park.

One of many overlooks.

This is a good example of the forest roads they have. Super fun on the DS!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15xAR10 View Post
Nice bike man! I'd love to do what you've done but every dirt model DRZ i find near me has had the absolute piss pounded out of it

Sticking to S or SM model (whichever i can find with reasonable miles in my price range)

Thanks!

Yea its hard trusting used dirt bikes, they're definitely used and abused. They are like used Toyotas, beat the F up but still demanding premium prices haha

You can't go wrong either way, once you're out there with a good group, brand, model, etc don't matter. Its all about BRAP haha
Old 08-05-2014, 06:21 AM   #7

Well my @$$ hurts from all of the riding I've been doing, so I've been looking into a few options.

Seat Concepts is a reasonable choice for a custom seat option. They're much cheaper with the quality being comparable. I can either send in my seat pan and have them install, buy a complete unit, or I can DIY with there foam kit. Its nice to have options! $150 - $250

Good looking seat too!

But being the poor guy I am, I will try the Wal-Mart special first! This is a Coleman ATV seat cover with gel pads. I'm hoping I can wrap my original seat with this and staple it to my seat pan to make it look "stock." We shall see. $17

Old 08-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
Stockmonester is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Stockmonester's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stockmonester
seat concepts best thing youll buy for that bike. I love mine
Old 08-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmonester View Post
seat concepts best thing youll buy for that bike. I love mine
Nice! Did you go with the standard height or the low?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery

Nice 04! Bought this 02 with 13 miles on it back in 2009 for $2500. The E's Mikuni FCR 39mm carb is the main kicker that lets this bike kick some butt. I think 06+ E models came with the weaker carb, can't remember. Throttle delivery is smooth, tons of low end crawl ability when navigating technical rocky situations, not to mention easy to maintain and reliable.

This is definitely a comfortable off road bike, but bottoms out pretty easily on big jumps at a track. I set the front forks and rear shock at the hardest setting, still kinda soft lol

I wish I could street legal mine too, but CA has some strict regulations w/ the E models vin# and registration even when outfitted with turn signals, mirrors and what not.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post

Nice 04! Bought this 02 with 13 miles on it back in 2009 for $2500. The E's Mikuni FCR 39mm carb is the main kicker that lets this bike kick some butt. I think 06+ E models came with the weaker carb, can't remember. Throttle delivery is smooth, tons of low end crawl ability when navigating technical rocky situations, not to mention easy to maintain and reliable.

This is definitely a comfortable off road bike, but bottoms out pretty easily on big jumps at a track. I set the front forks and rear shock at the hardest setting, still kinda soft lol

I wish I could street legal mine too, but CA has some strict regulations w/ the E models vin# and registration even when outfitted with turn signals, mirrors and what not.
Nice Bike! I've been thinking about all yellow plastics much like yours with my rims plastidipped black. I like your graphics too!

I've owned a few different dirt bikes and this one is by far my favorite. Easy to ride and easy to maintain. Keeps you focused on the fun stuff.

Have you had any trouble with your automatic cam chain tensioner? I've read that they become troublesome and its a good idea to upgrade to a manual version.

http://www.paochow.com/DRZguide/DRZkno.php
Old 08-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #12
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
Nice Bike! I've been thinking about all yellow plastics much like yours with my rims plastidipped black. I like your graphics too!

I've owned a few different dirt bikes and this one is by far my favorite. Easy to ride and easy to maintain. Keeps you focused on the fun stuff.

Have you had any trouble with your automatic cam chain tensioner? I've read that they become troublesome and its a good idea to upgrade to a manual version.

http://www.paochow.com/DRZguide/DRZkno.php
I recently pulled the graphics off as they started peeling off from old age, they had been there since 02 haha

Fortunately haven't had the cam chain turn into an issue but I've also read that before. Just the basics, filter, oil, coolant. The main jet on the carb does grim up pretty quick and I've had to pull it and clean the carb a few times. Used to not idle properly and fire flames but runs smooth now. I've got a tear on the rear tire and need a new one, dropped it a few times and busted the clutch lever, besides that it's all good. I think we need to adjust the valves/check at some point as well
Old 08-06-2014, 04:15 AM   #14
BDS'd
RadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant future

Name: NEIL
RadTaco914's Tacoma Gallery
great start and good score on the bike! Man I wish NC was easy enough to tag a bike..I had to buy an SM a few years back. Was just the easiest route
Old 08-06-2014, 04:30 AM   #15
Stockmonester is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Stockmonester's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stockmonester
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJack09 View Post
Nice! Did you go with the standard height or the low?
Standard im 6'3 and can still flat foot with a inch to spare. I bought the kit which saved me bout 90 bucks only took and hour and a staple gun.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:33 AM   #16
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the low seat height a few days ago. They're still in the process of building the seat.

Being that I'm only 5' 4" I need it to be pretty low haha hopefully it helps.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTaco914 View Post
great start and good score on the bike! Man I wish NC was easy enough to tag a bike..I had to buy an SM a few years back. Was just the easiest route
Man I love the roads you have over there in WNC, I bet that's fun as hell on a SM. I try to make it to WNC for hiking and camping at least twice a year. I'd like to hit the Tail of the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway now that I have my bike up and running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmonester View Post
Standard im 6'3 and can still flat foot with a inch to spare. I bought the kit which saved me bout 90 bucks only took and hour and a staple gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
I bought the low seat height a few days ago. They're still in the process of building the seat.

Being that I'm only 5' 4" I need it to be pretty low haha hopefully it helps.

I'm right in between you guys at 5'10". I've been leaning towards the "low" because I'm on my tippy toes when I stop or leaning to one side. Doesn't bother me too much though. I wonder what the comfort level is between the two? I'm guessing standard would be a little more comfortable due to the extra foam...

Have any of you ridden in West Virginia? My buddy and I have been researching Spruce Knob, Seneca Rocks, and the Trans West Virginia Trail, heard they are a MUST.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #18
BDS'd
RadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant future

Name: NEIL
RadTaco914's Tacoma Gallery
Most definitely let me know! Im about 45 mins from the dragon myself. Currently have a converted sm wr250r
Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTaco914 View Post
Most definitely let me know! Im about 45 mins from the dragon myself. Currently have a converted sm wr250r
Fuel Injection

Will do man!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #20

So I'm kind of digging these high wind screens on these bikes, definitely gives it that Dakar Rally feel. What do you guys think?