Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

skidooman's even lamer, slower FJ60 build

Old 10-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
skidooman's even lamer, slower FJ60 build

So...

Sold the taco, it's been driving me nuts not having something to wheel and tinker with. After looking for a while, and found this little gem.

1985 FJ60, 2F 4 speed. Some rust, but not as much as most of these. It was a Salt Lake rig, so some is to be expected, good news is the frame is good. The odo says 86k. From what service and inspection records there are, along with wear on common wear items I have no reason not to believe this. It hasn't ran in a while. Its got a Weber carb on it, but all the smog stuff is still there so that's going to come out. Also has a big water leak out of the bottom of the water pump. Its missing the rear glass too.

Plans are:
Get it running and driving first.
New tailgate and rear hatch
lift, probably 3". Maybe spring over, but that's awful big.
33x10.5
Armor
I might start trying to part together a SBC swap.

Tonight the wife got the interior cleaned up a little and I almost got the radiator out. I love rusty nuts and bolts.

Now for some pictures because really that's all that matters to some of you goons. Sorry these pictures suck, I should have grabbed my tripod.

Custom sound.

This is under the driver door.

Rear passenger wheel well

Anyone have an idea where this goes? I think its for the rear seat heater, but haven't confirmed that.

That's all for now.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Reserved.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
I'm your huckleberry

I'll take this one too.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
I'm your huckleberry

And, one more.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery

Looks like a nice find. Can't wait to see the progress! If we get our oldies running solid we could do a throwback cross NV trip next spring
Old 10-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Dwill817 has a spectacular aura aboutDwill817 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Drew
Dwill817's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd!

I want an FJ60 so bad..

If your taking suggestions:
- SPOA & 35's-37's should be about right. 4.88 gears w/ F&R ARB air lockers.
- Of course you'll need F&R bumpers and sliders.
- Remember no LandCruiser looks right without a roof rack.

If you follow my suggestions, I hope you planted a money tree!! Lol
Old 10-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
I'm your huckleberry

Matt, that would be pretty cool, I should definitely be operational by then.

Drew, ugh, the money I've already spent in my mind on this thing is ridiculous. I learned nothing from my taco. It came with a roof rack so were already getting there! I would love ARBs, and it will for sure get armor. I am not going to buy any goodies until it's truly running and driving though. If I end up needing to an engine swap sooner than I am planning, I don't want to be held up on funds because I bought bumpers.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Well that's the smarter thing to do.. I started collecting suspension parts when I first got the truck and pushed off maintenance. Finally I just broke done and spent the money and went crazy on my braking system, upgraded to a weber, and done a full tune up. It runs much better now and I can focus on modifications again.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
Whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be cool.. It's hard to mess an FJ60 up.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
I'm your huckleberry

Figured out the goofy thermostat housing is from a FI FJ62. The hose off the side is JB welded inside... These also have a oil galley plug in the head that is known to start leaking and then they spit out along with all of your engine oil. Good news is this one was "fixed" bad news, they were big fans of JB weld... I'd rather tap it out and put a pipe plug in there. I'll keep my eye on it, if it comes to it I can remove the jbweld and do it right. Water jackets are pretty rusty, and it looks like there was some stop leak used once upon a time. I hate the crap. AC clutch is toast, but it runs on its own belt so that wont be an issue for a while. Didn't get much done last night, about 30 minutes into it the bulb right over me burnt out in the shop, so I took that as a sign and went in.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
nvwiggins is one of the sharper tools in the shednvwiggins is one of the sharper tools in the shednvwiggins is one of the sharper tools in the shednvwiggins is one of the sharper tools in the shednvwiggins is one of the sharper tools in the shednvwiggins is one of the sharper tools in the shednvwiggins is one of the sharper tools in the shednvwiggins is one of the sharper tools in the shednvwiggins is one of the sharper tools in the shednvwiggins is one of the sharper tools in the shednvwiggins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
nvwiggins's Tacoma Gallery
I'm back from Hawaii if you wanna take a look at that 62 rear door/anything else you need.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Traction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTraction120 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic, Search and Rescue, Wildland Firefighting
Name: Nathan
Traction120's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvwiggins View Post
I'm back from Hawaii if you wanna take a look at that 62 rear door/anything else you need.
For sure. Friday or Sunday would be best, but anytime really.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
samiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
samiam's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #15
I'm your huckleberry

Smog crap be damned!! Eat it hippies.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #16
Wooooo!! I loved it when I desmogged my truck! Such a stress relief, getting to just rip at hoses and throw crap away!

Wanna trade? lol I'll head out to Neveada!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #17
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
wut
Old 10-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #18
I'm your huckleberry

The deeper I dig, the worse it gets. Owell. One time or another, I had a squatter take up residence in the ducting. His nest is gone now.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #20
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. Where are the pics of this franken cab? Subd