Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

Old 12-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build

This is only slightly premature since I haven't taken delivery of the vehicle yet but I'll be picking it up in a week. Specs are:

1995 FZJ80 Moonglow Pearl
187K miles (at time of purchase)
Factory Lockers
Rancho 2.5" coils (at time of purchase)
285's (at time of purchase)

It's a bit of a project, but it's mostly just cosmetic. Clearcoat on the hood, roof and flares is peeling. Carpets aren't great. Front seats leather is torn. Minor dings consistent with age. Valve cover leaks a little and the distributor O-ring leaks a little. Front axle is due for complete service. None of that is too serious and I'll address that stuff pretty quickly once I've got the truck.

Immediate plans are to swap over bumpers, armor, suspension and tires from my '93. That includes, OME J springs, L shocks, adjustable panhards, caster plates, sway bar drops, ARB front bumper, Wildyoats rear bumper, TG sliders, and 315's. Then address the peeling paint. I also have a line on some "new" front seats that came out of a low mileage '97 anniversary edition truck that are in good shape with no tears in the leather. Those will likely get swapped in the same day of purchase. I'm in the process of getting a roofrack designed and built by Zscott that I think it going to be fantastic and that will carry my RTT. Should be in great shape at that point. I'm really looking forward to being back in an 80.

Here's my old 80 to give you an idea what stuff will come off of it.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
zscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zscott's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to see this thing be built.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 12-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
Dwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to beholdDwill817 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Drew
Dwill817's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 12-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Starting out big with the mods. Everyone knows that 80s are in dire need of cup holders. So I picked up one of the popular Land Rover Discovery cup holders to add to the truck after I pick it up on Saturday.

Now onto something a bit bigger.......how bout some 345/75R16 BFG KM2s? Ordered a set of 5. Can't wait.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
zscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

zscott's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Talk about mean! The cup holder of course not the 345/75R16's
Old 12-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
ttaM will become famous soon enoughttaM will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
ttaM's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd - can't wait to see this build. I can only hope it's as sick as your tacoma
Old 12-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
Broke Okie Ty has much to be proud ofBroke Okie Ty has much to be proud ofBroke Okie Ty has much to be proud ofBroke Okie Ty has much to be proud ofBroke Okie Ty has much to be proud ofBroke Okie Ty has much to be proud ofBroke Okie Ty has much to be proud ofBroke Okie Ty has much to be proud ofBroke Okie Ty has much to be proud ofBroke Okie Ty has much to be proud of
Name: Ty
Broke Okie Ty's Tacoma Gallery
Me too....
Old 12-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like fun. Why the change from the '93?
Old 12-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Got the 80 over the weekend and we got it home last night.

There are a few dings etc consistent with what you'd expect from a 20 year old car. Like a lot of 80s the front seats were trashed, split leather and bad foam. Before going to get the truck I got a lead on a pair of front seats in decent condition that were at a shop there in GJ. I arranged to go take a look at them after I bought the truck. It worked out great. It was a shop I'd never heard of called Metric Offroad that specializes in Cruisers. They had 20-30 trucks in the yard at the shop and the owner said he had another lot with another 40 trucks. A whole range of trucks from 40's to 80s and some 4runners and minitrucks too. Really cool guy and the seats he had were pretty dry but the leather was fully intact. We worked out a good deal on them with my new bad seats as partial trade. So the worst thing on the truck was fixed before I even got it home.

The rest of the issues with the truck are mostly cosmetic. The clearcoat is peeling on the hood, roof and flares. The front axle needs to be serviced and a couple other minor things looked at but it runs great and everything works. Even has lockers. The drive home was nice and it felt soooooo good to be back in an 80. The plan is to swap everything from my '93 over to it in the next few weeks. I'll use my OME J spring suspension, bumpers and sliders. I've ordered a set of 345/75R16's to go on the OEM wheels. So it should be ready to rock within the next month. My old 80 will get the suspension from this truck and keep the 315's that are on it and get the stock bumpers and then get sold cheap.

I already started cleaning up a few things. I painted the handles and the flares black and it is looking much better. I didn't get pics with the flares done yet so all you get is the handles.

Details:
1995 FZJ80
Moonglow Pearl
Tan interior
Factory lockers
Rancho 2.5" springs
285/75R16 General Grabbers
Naked roof (no roof rack from the factory)

Plans:
OME J springs, L shocks (from old 80)
Adjustable panhards (from old 80)
Slee Caster Plates (from old 80)
ARB front bumper (from old 80)
Wildyoats rear bumper (from old 80)
custom sliders
PrInSu roof rack
Tepui RTT
345/75R16 BFG KM2s
4.88's sometime down the road.
maybe a snorkel
address the peeling paint.

Here's some pics from tonight.

blacked out handles

peeling flares

peeling hood

Old 12-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. Trying to get into an 80 myself.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
ttaM will become famous soon enoughttaM will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
ttaM's Tacoma Gallery
man, that's purty
Old 12-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Was able to get a few pics this morning of the painted flares and a few other small things I've been able to address since getting it home on Saturday. The flares cleaned up nicely I think and look good with the black handles. There are a few interior shots too to show the seats. First off the flares.
Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Now the seats. This is the only photo I have of the original seats. Both front seats were similar condition. The leather was torn and the foam was deteriorating badly.

These are the seats I was able to replace them with. They came out of a '97. Like I said they are pretty dry right now, but I'll try to soften them up with some conditioner over the next few weeks. Power features work perfectly and they clean up the interior feel quite a bit.

So a bunch of small things for now. Like the cupholder, cover for the steering wheel and some new floormats. I've got a crazy week this week so I'm not sure exactly how much time I'll have to start tearing stuff off of my '93 and getting it onto the '95 but I hope to find some time. One other little hiccup is that the 345 KM2s are on backorder so I may need to wait a bit for those.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good so far!
Old 12-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My roommate just picked one of these up so Ill be keeping him updated
Old 12-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #16
quetzal is on a distinguished road

Name: Mario
quetzal's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 12-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #17
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Looks like everyone all over the country is out of the 345 KM2s so I've had to change plans on tires. Decided to go with some 315/75R16 Goodyear MTRs for now. They'll be a bit more driveable for now until I get the gears done then I'll look and moving up to 37's. The MTRs should be here right around Christmas time so it will likely be the first of the year before I've actually got them on the truck.

I did however, get the ARB bumper off my '93 last night. The bumper has definitely seen better days. For starters its a modified bumper with all the lower skirts cut off. I like the better clearance it has. It's been well used on my '93 for more than a decade so it's got a couple of little dents and tweaks. Also since it's been sitting on the side of my house for a couple years the weather has been working on it and there were some rusty spots. I got it pulled off a couple nights ago and cleaned up. Sanded it down to bare steel and rattlecanned it with Rustoleum Satin since it has a finish that looks similar to the original powder coat. I got it mounted to the new truck this morning and moved over my HIDs from the Tacoma. It's starting to look a bit more like a real cruiser now.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #18
He gotta real perty mouth aint he
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice Adam. I am sure this build will be done right..
Old 12-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #19

zscott's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! All I can say is that the photos don't do the color of this thing justice. In person the moon glow pearl is amazing.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
DHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to behold

DHwreckage's Tacoma Gallery
damnit i wanted to see what trimming you were going to have to do with J springs and 37's. i really want 37's on my 80 but i think ill re-gear and get some autocroft slinkie coils first!