Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > Other Builds

Notices

Rab89's Tacoma sleeping platform

Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Rab89's Tacoma sleeping platform

well, I'm headed to Texas at the end of the week from B.C Canada, and I needed a place to sleep, the back of the truck sounded great!
I didn't want a super enclosed frame that was hard to see into, because I have to cross the border, and that may have been a hassle.

here is the frame, I used a thin piece of plywood on the bottom for rigidity.
I used 1- 2x12x12 piece of wood for the side rails, cut in half to fit the 6 foot bed.

I had some cedar 2x4 lying around, so I used that to make it even tougher,
I used 3 pieces laying horizontally across the top, to maximize storage space underneath, and at the front near the cab, I put 2 pieces vertically, again for rigidity.

I also wanted to be able to take the top sheet off easily for when I get to the border. I used a 4x8 foot piece of 5/8 plywood for the top, I wasn't sure it would be wide enough, but as you can see there is only about 4 inches on either side of free space, which leaves room to stuff things down the sides for storage.

To secure the top sheet from sliding around, I drilled 2 holes at the back end, through the top sheet and into the 2x12, then I cut some big stakes in half and cleaned up the ends. I can easily slide them in an out to remove the top sheet.

by using the 2x12, I was able to maximize storage underneath, giving me a total of 10 inches for my suitcase.

more headroom would have been nice, but I needed room to store my stuff while sleeping (gf will be with me, so the bags have to go underneath).

well there you have it, I may cover it with some outdoor carpet before I go, we'll see.
hopefully this helps the next guy in building a custom sleeping platform.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
I like it
Old 04-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
ScampTramp is on a distinguished road

Name: Robert
ScampTramp's Tacoma Gallery
The HIP Sleeping Platform

http://s941.photobucket.com/albums/a...ng%20platform/

I posted this on ExPo in 2010 (Easy Sleeping Platform) and last year in 1st Gen on this site (Sleeping Platform & Dog) and so far, everybody seems to like it.

Its fast, sturdy and best of all CHEAP!

Robert