1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rigid Industries LED's

Discussion in 'Overland Alaska' started by benbacher, Sep 8, 2013.

1. May 15, 2014 at 11:05 PM
    benbacher

benbacher [OP] Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    My 2 cents. Take it for what its worth, but....I DO this every day...the heyperspots ARE amazing, no one is denying that. HOWEVER, they were never intended to REPLACE the existing lights rid makes i.e. your standard E-series lights. Given that advice, my input would be to not go overboard on distance lights (xmods is in a uniquely lit vehicle and it's not even a tacoma so what does he know anyway :p). I think given your light setup currently I'd get a SR20 and D2 Hyperspots for distance. You don't want to drown out a specific area with light, you want to fill out that area and focus on another. Your FXR's will do wonders up close and into the sides and give you great depth, an SR20 will completely fill the mid range and into the long range as well. Very nice distance. Then your hypserspots kick in at the ultra long distance. They are pencil beams indeed, so my worry with the SR2 20" is that you'll have the drivings filling essentially what your FXR's are doing and then the hyperspots way WAY out there with nothing giving you a good, but not extreme, amount of distance.

So, take all that into account, and then realize my idea saves you money, and then make your decision with all the info provided. Now, don't think for a moment I'll even think twice about selling you an SR2, I just prefer an informed buyer. :)

2. May 16, 2014 at 4:28 AM
    xmods

xmods Super Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathaniel
    Kaneohe
    Vehicle:
    10' PRO-4X CC, modded..
    Too long to list :D
    :rofl: Oh burn! :rofl:

So just to clarify, you are suggesting a 20" SRCW? or a 20" SR2 Driving? Sounds like you are suggesting an SRCW, but just want to make sure.

I can say the 20" SRCW will outshine an FX-R high beam, but you wouldn't get a whole lot of fill from the flood portion because the projectors on high beam fill it out nicely. So following your logic Ben, I would guess an SR2 driving would be better? But I don't have personal experience with the driving pattern..

If the FX-R's are 35 watt, then I think the SRCW will be good, but if they are 55w then maybe something a little stronger? I have 55w in my TL's with 85122+ bulbs, so my high beam can almost completely drown out my SRCW for the first 400 feet or so. But 85122+'s on 55w can push almost 13,000 lumens between the pair. And TL projectors are pure laser beams :D

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  3. May 16, 2014 at 5:00 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    I really like my sr20 combo. I've got some nice twisty, curvy roads by me and I never feel I'm over-driving the light. I could with my old PIAA driving lights. I don't know how it would be in the desert at night. Might need that 50" on the roof!

4. May 16, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Thought you'd like that ;)
    All good info there! And you're right, the SRCW 20" is what I'm suggesting. Flood and driving patterns are almost identical and both are very similar to what you'll get out of your FXR's, so yes, in some sense the floods will get washed out a bit BUT the floods will totally fill in the immediate area like a fog light would.
    The driving SR2 wouldn't give enough long distance light. Its an amazing bar with very high lumen count but they don't push out as far as a spot can.

5. May 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    haha nice try...definitely NOT mounting a 50" on the roof unless i move to Pismo or live in the desert ;)

6. May 16, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    BBtacosurfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    Damn Ben and x-mods...ya'll got me confused...all I know is that my FXRs with Osram D2S bulbs are BRIGHT as hell...maybe i'll just flip a coin haha

7. May 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    BBtacosurfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    I just wanna see x-mods light setup on at night...you must OWN the night my man

8. May 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
  9. May 16, 2014 at 6:36 PM
    Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    80$ for a little mount that costs 10$ to make. Sounds about right for Rigid stuff.

10. May 16, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    We actually sell more than you'd think. It's a good use of space I'll give it that. Not really my style, but to each their own.
    Lemme know when you can buy sheets of steel, have it laser cut, precision bent, and powder coated for ten bucks. I think you and I should go into business! :p

11. May 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I guess the license frame is a place to mount something; however, when you live in Dallas it just looks like the first place someone will go to steal your lights. That's the reason I have stuff behind my grill.

12. May 16, 2014 at 10:27 PM
    xmods

xmods Super Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathaniel
    Kaneohe
    Vehicle:
    10' PRO-4X CC, modded..
    Osram CBI?

If were me I'd special order the SR bar in all spot, then get the hyperspot Duallys. Unless you don't want to run your high beams all the time.

I do okay :p

This is the best I have for now.. TL's on low w/amber Dually spot fogs

_MG_7762_1_3_Detail_38cd14236c7aec7d056ee8f12e41ef8fa54506ec.jpg

TL's on low, amber fogs, and 40" SRCW

_MG_7765_4_6_DetailBright_4366a5bbf0ea3b5316be91fb31848f66edca1d8e.jpg

TL's on low, amber fogs, 6x Hyperspot Duallys. 20" wasn't wired at the time.

_MG_7753_2_4_Detail_3bd8af307537a6249cdbbd5725a5c367d7558051.jpg

If the LP mounts into metal, and you can use security bolts then not bad. But security bolts in a plastic threaded bumper won't do much :/

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  13. May 17, 2014 at 5:40 AM
    BBtacosurfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    Yeah the OSRAM Cbi. I don't want to run the high beams all the time off road so I should go with the SR Spot only? I like the idea of the D2 Hyperspots. Those things are mean.

14. May 17, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Is E-series out of the question mate?

15. May 17, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    BBtacosurfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    yes because the pelfreybilt bumper only accommodates an SR 20" bar

16. May 17, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    K, well we can definitely do a custom bar for ya. Not terribly difficult if you'd like to that route. What are you leaning towards at this point, and what questions do you have?

17. May 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM
    xmods

xmods Super Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathaniel
    Kaneohe
    Vehicle:
    10' PRO-4X CC, modded..
    If you don't want to run high beams all the time then you would benefit from the flood portion of the combo beam. So in that case a regular production bar will work. But I don't think you would be disappointing with the combo or all spot :)

18. May 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I can't imagine what driving conditions you have that a regular combo wouldn't cover.

19. May 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    This is true, just throwing out options.

20. May 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Does amber help driving on a dusty road at night, say if you're following someone? I know it works in fog, but I don't see fog too often. What about snow? I've read that the blue covers actually help more in snow.

Products Discussed in

To Top