Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Notices

Mid skid + URD performance y-pipe

Old 07-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
Professional Grease Monkey
JustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Maintenance
Name: J
JustAddMud's Tacoma Gallery
Mid skid + URD performance y-pipe

I was going to do this in PM's, but I figured someone else might end up having the same question so I'll go straight to the horses mouth. I'm drooling over your skid set but I have a quick question. Your Transfer case comes with the option of w/ or w/o the cutout for the y-pipe. Now, I'm running URD's performance Y-pipe which has it routed forward of the cross-member where the Mid skid would run. Have you had any customers purchase your Mid skid with this setup?

I'm asking this simply because it would add the hidden cost of by needing an exhaust re-reroute. I took a straight edge under the truck and the URD y-pipe extends below the cross-member on the passenger side where it makes the turn to meet the collective heading to the rear axle. I just like options, you know. If you would like me to take some measurements, I'd be more than welcome to do so.

-J
Old 07-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
JustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustAddMud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok. I'll post up a few pics in the morning after work.

-J
Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

Its fairly difficult to take good pictures under there. Here's two photos that might show you what I'm talking about.

About as level as I could snap. The elbow closest to the camera is the bend in the OP I was talking about. It is just a hair under that cross member in the left of the frame.

This photo shows as best as I could, the distance between that elbow and the cross member. It is about 3.5 to 4" from the cross member depending on where you measure. After that it starts its turn to head up and over.

To me, it looks like it would be a close fit. Otherwise, my only choice would be to extend the y-pipe tubes beyond the transmission / transfer case and under the drive shaft. This would force me to move both my muffler and resonator back.

Any insight into this matter would be helpful. Thanks.

-J
Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
it looks like it would fit, but would be a tight fit like you're saying.

do you have a long straight edge you could set in place to follow the bottom of the trans support to the horizontal seam with stich welding kind of in the middle of the IFS support, that's kind of the general area where the skid would be.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
If the pipe extends below the bottom of the cross-member it will interfere.It looks like its very close and might work with a small adjustment to the hangers only. Really hard to say or guarantee however. Wish I had a more definitive answer for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #7

Alright, well looks like I'll just have to pull the trigger on these skids and just make it happen. You'll be hearing from me before this weekend.

-J
Old 07-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sounds good, thanks
Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
The URD Y pipe works with every other brands skids so unless the design is totally different you should be fine OP.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #10
Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
The URD Y pipe works with every other brands skids so unless the design is totally different you should be fine OP.
Thanks for chiming in, needed an opinion based on actual experience. Appreciate that.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
Thanks for chiming in, needed an opinion based on actual experience. Appreciate that.

You got any pics of your skids? I personally have not ran them all, but know people personally (first hand not on the web) who have run many of them.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 AM   #12

Tyler, you'll be hearing from me when I get off work this morning when you open for business. Once the skids are up I'll update this post with a pic for fitment fact. Speak with you soon.

-J
Old 09-04-2014, 02:26 AM   #14

The paint is drying in the garage as I type. I installed the gas skid last weekend and since then, I've bought a grinder. Sanding the gas tank skid by hand sucked. I should have the other three skids installed in the morning and I'll give you an update.

-J
Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #15

Alright, I can post a definitive answer to my OP. Yes, the skid fits. I used a Kobalt wrench as a guide and I couldn't quite fit the 14mm wrench in the gap between the y-pipe and the skid. So if your not sure if the URD y-pipe will fit, it will. Now all I have to do is some heavy off road activities to see if I cant get it to knock. Only time will tell.

Tyler's recipe calls for a 17/32" drill-bit for drilling the frame to mount the transfer case skid. I used the next size down which would be a 1/2" drill-bit and it worked fine. I suggest having at least 2 bits as I chewed through the first one and didn't even make it through the first hole. Now I must go on record saying that it wasn't a bit for drilling metal so you might be able to get away with one bit. I bought two cobalt tipped bits for metal during my halfway point when I went to my local hardware store. All in all, its a very solid skid setup. I purchased all 4 skids. Though, I must say this. Tyler, buddy. Why didn't you include grade 8 hardware for the new 3/8-16 x 5" bolts. The instructions claimed to say it was included with the kit but the bolts provided didn't have the nice bronze sheen that I'm used to seeing on other grade 8 bolts. Maybe it was grade 8, but it sure stripped out pretty easy. Anywho, its installed and I even no loaded my cross member.

I gave the skids a trial run when I crawled over a Prius in my local Lowes parking lot. I must say, a fine product sir. Not a single bit of damage on my truck.

-J
Old 09-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Glad to hear that they fit well. I hope you are 100% stoked on them.

As for the hardware, they are grade 8, the grey-ish color is a high corrosion resistant coating that is better than standard Zinc, that's why we go with that.
They are McMaster Carr P/N 91286A229, "Ultra Corrosion-Resistant Coated High-Strength Steel-Grade 8"

Old 09-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #17
RacecarGuy is on a distinguished road
RacecarGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent. Glad they fit because it looks like the same route I'm headed down.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
Glad to hear that they fit well. I hope you are 100% stoked on them.

As for the hardware, they are grade 8, the grey-ish color is a high corrosion resistant coating that is better than standard Zinc, that's why we go with that.
They are McMaster Carr P/N 91286A229, "Ultra Corrosion-Resistant Coated High-Strength Steel-Grade 8"

Absolutely! Your skids are top notch. Though, I seem to be getting more mileage out of that wicked awesome coozies than the actual skids, hehe. thanks again for the fantastic product!

-J