Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Front limited slip options

Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
Front limited slip options

I've been digging for a while, and I can't find any limited slip (non-locking) front differential options for 2005+ Tacoma 4wd pickups. I'd really like to find a torsen/helical style diff but it doesn't seem to exist. The primary reason I'm looking for one is for nasty snow/ice winter conditions, combined with studless snow/ice tires.

Can anyone confirm this, or point me to an alternative?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I thought about getting a limited slip when you posted this thread up but then I remembered I have ATRAC. No need for anything else.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

I saw the main Auburn Gear page and they did not list a front diff there.

How smooth is the engagement on these? That definitely looks like an option.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
I saw the main Auburn Gear page and they did not list a front diff there.

How smooth is the engagement on these? That definitely looks like an option.

The front diff is listed:

T-100, Tacoma Front 2004 on 8" RG, IFS clamshell, 30 3.91 & UP
53 mm BRNG 3.73 & DN

Since it is a L/S i don't think you will have harsh engagement.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #6

Sounds promising. Thanks for the link and help.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
I am in the same boat. I am considering an auto locker for the front as an option.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedToy View Post
I am in the same boat. I am considering an auto locker for the front as an option.
Limited slips and lockers are two completely different animals. The Auburn unit is a limited slip. For snow an auto locker can be very unpredictable.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedToy View Post
I wouldn't suggest that. At least with a selectable you could turn it off if you think your tire could get lodged some where. With an auto it would just engage and quite possibly be followed with a snap. Just my 2 cents.