Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2010 exhaust manifold...LT Headers?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
controlled pair?
375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold

Army:
375taco's Tacoma Gallery
2010 exhaust manifold...LT Headers?

I read somewhere they changed up the 2010 exhaust manifold and you really dont need headers....I dont know if that is true I haven't researched it that much and I dont really remember where I read that...so that being said I have a 4.0L and I was wondering with out a big debate because I know everyone has their own preferance should I go Y-Pipe to exhaust or full headers,y-pipe,exhaust...Is it worth the money?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2010 (see profile) and i plan to do every thing i can to pull the most power out of it... once i can afford it lol, might be 5 years lol
Old 06-30-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
TRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDguyKC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
TRDguyKC's Tacoma Gallery
Lets see pics of it! i didnt know they changed the manifold between years. The DT LT's will still yield you more power than any stock unit.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
ps...go headers before going y-pipe
Old 06-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
ps...go headers before going y-pipe
+1

Also, no matter whether it's 2005, or 2010, you can not tell me that headers are not needed. OEM Manifolds are no where near designed for maximum HP. Plus, if you are going for DTLT Headers the main benefit there is removing the front Cats. The 2010 Manifold still has Cats, so of course adding a set of Long Tubes will gain you some HP.

Get the Headers, and a good highflow exhaust. You will be happy with the gains. If you want a really loud truck add the Y-pipe

enjoy.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
controlled pair?
375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold375taco is a splendid one to behold

Army:
375taco's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the help! If i go DTLT Headers I think I will get the Doug thorley set up with the pipe bomb on it....I think thats what its called? I dont want it really loud. Just a nice sound...beefy
Old 12-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering if the 2010 exhaust manifold was stainless steel or cast iron?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Im pretty sure my 09 is a steel of some sort but not cast metal
Old 12-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
The '09 + is something like stamped steel. They have a design that is two piece welded together. Runners that curve in the direction of flow, to direct the exhaust flow more efficiently.

The '05-'08 have a round tube welded to a flange that has three holes drilled into it, which is the header. Simplest header design.

If you are an N/A owner between the years of '05-'08 and still have the factory headers on, then swapping to the '09+ will make the driver immediately notice an increase in power.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking of using a manifold wrap(header wrap) to increase scavenging effect.
I read somewhere that wrapping a cast iron manifold could be dangerous, it may crack it.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would not wrap the exhaust manifold on a street car.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
What's the benefit on the street from a stock NA engine with stock exhaust manifolds?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
You are correct about wrapping the stock headers. There really isn't a way to get a wrap on them, until after they merge, just before the catalytic converter. Simply because there aren't individual primary tubes, like on the aftermarket headers.

Which is what i thought the question refered to. On the, JBA or Doug Thorley headers, it is beneficial. One simplest reason is because you can wrap them completely.

The JBA headers are made out of 409 mild steel. The Doug Thorley headers are now made out of 304 stainless steel. Much better than the 409, in strength as well as corrosion/weather resistance. I.E. preventing rust.

People say you shouldn't wrap the headers because the wrap has the potential to hold moisture. On a lot of aftermarket headers for a variety of vehicles, they are made from 409 mild steel, and the wrap has helped aid in earlier rust build up.

The solution. Buy better headers. Made from 304 stainless steel. Wrap them, and spray them down with silicone, to create a water barrier. Once wrapped, you will now get better performance because your engine bay is now cooler, making your motor run cooler.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
B.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blanalin
B.Radd.KO's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tip. I havent actually taken my stock headers off my 1GR-FE but i read somewhere that there is two layers to it.

Its not easy to explain, but the outer layer is supposedly like a heat sheild. According to the information i found there is an air gap between this heat shield and the actual exhaust pipe, making it hard to tell the actual diameter of the manifold by simply looking at it.

Im not saying the 09+ manifold isn't bigger than the 05-08, and im not saying this information is gospel because i haven't seen it for myself, I was hoping someone might be able to confirm or refute this information (Refute? Man now im getting into words i don't understand.... SHIT!)
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #18

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
Im looking for away to increase the flow of exhaust with out increasing pipe size.
There are pipe wraps different than a wrap. The idea here is to increase fuel mileage.

But this looks to be more of a ass pain to me.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIM View Post
Im looking for away to increase the flow of exhaust with out increasing pipe size.
There are pipe wraps different than a wrap. The idea here is to increase fuel mileage.

You aren't going to increase mpg by anything you will notice with boltons or in this case with wrapons.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIM View Post

To increase exhaust flow without changing diameters, would require this. Looking for any restrictions in the exhaust. Such as kink bends, reductions in diameter, and cats. You would have to replace those with mandrel bends, no reductions, and remove cats.