Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2.4l TACO OWNERS UNITE!!!!!....to help me out?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Livin' the taco life
jcemitte is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
jcemitte's Tacoma Gallery
2.4l TACO OWNERS UNITE!!!!!....to help me out?

Ok, i've looked through the forums and cant seem to find a build up or tune up page for a 2.4l tacoma.

what im getting at is my taco (like some of yours im assuming) is extremely under powered. out here in farmland california we all drive a 1,000 mph and with my little taco i get left in the dust by saturns! also it makes it difficult to merge on the the speedway to get to work, seriously its like a life and death situation every morning!

ok so the bottom line. i am looking for more giddy up for merging, and also i want to be spinning less than 3,000 rpms at 80mph as i commute about 50 miles a day minimum. better performance out ways the fuel economy for me tho im still getting 10 mpg better than my last truck.

ive browsed the net a little bit and come up with a shopping list. i was wondering if you guys have tried any of these products and if so, are they worth it.

1. Cold Air Intake.
K&N 77 SERIES HIGH FLOW PERFORMANCE AIR INTAKE KIT, POLISHED

2.Throttle Body Spacer
STREET PERFORMANCE HELIX POWER TOWER PLUS THROTTLE BODY SPACER

3.Performance Mass Airflow Sensor
JET CHIPS PERFORMANCE POWR-FLO MASS AIR SENSOR

4.Exhaust - suggestions? the local muffler shop will install a knock off flowmaster for $95 bucks is it actually worth it to go with a more expensive one?

5. perhaps gearing or taller tires? for fuel economy?

6.or do i need to find a s/c for the 2.4?

let me know what you think. am i screwed?
Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Intake wont do much, spacer is shit, exhaust might help slightly and you have a 4 banger. I'd say get the blower for it if there is one.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Sant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: SSGT
Sant0s's Tacoma Gallery
here maybe this can help you stay ahead of those saturns

Old 06-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
GETTN IT
th3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
th3bigk0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant0s View Post

Wow,I would kill for that
Old 06-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Sant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shedSant0s is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sant0s's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3bigk0 View Post
Wow,I would kill for that

i bet you should hear how she sounds!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
GETTN IT
th3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i bet you should hear how she sounds!
Is it yours?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

x2!!!!! I hear superchargers are not that great on a 4 banger, but a turbo will give you some serious giddiy up
Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
Sant0s's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is it yours?
my dads race car, i did a majority of the fab work......
Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
GETTN IT

Quote:
my dads race car, i did a majority of the fab work......
I want more!
Old 07-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Livin' the taco life

god dang thats a sweet motor!!!

so basically turbo, EFI, cooling stuff, what else you got in that bad boy?!?!

btw i had a knock off FM 40 installed to day. maybe a little difference at 3000 - 4500 rpms not enough to wet your pants over but it sounds fun! seems tho i need to rethink my power plan. or save shit ton of money and get a turbo and efi

heres the new exhaust

Old 07-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
have you tried cleanin out the throttle body? it might help some with gettin rid of all that carbon shit up in the engine
Old 07-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
Livin' the taco life

TBH i never thought of that but i am definitely going to do that. i have about 59000 miles on her what are some other basic things i could/should do? even long term routine maintenance im forgetting
Old 07-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
well get a can of seafoam..and run it through the vaccume lines in the engine..and let it soak up..im sure there are lots of videos on youtube on how to seafoam..but in short..once you let it soak up...let it sit for 15 min..and then turn on the car and blow it all out..it smokes like a mofo tho..just a warning ..and just change oil..use good synthetic or lucas oil treatment..and clean out air filters, fuel filters..that sort of thing..i bet it might help out alot
Old 07-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
Sant0s's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I want more!
i think ill make a thread on the build since it is 2.4L related
Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #16
Livin' the taco life

Quote:
i think ill make a thread on the build since it is 2.4L related
woot!!!!!! +1

that would be awesome
Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
Livin' the taco life

ordered my deck plate today
Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #18
2.4taco is on a distinguished road
2.4taco's Tacoma Gallery
airbox mod

i drilled a bunch of holes on the dirty side of my air box before i got my k&n and it made a big difference...everything ive done to my truck helped the milage except the bigger tires killed all that and the overall mileage is about 2 mpg worse than stock,i get about 300 miles per tank...ive mostly tried to make my truck handle better without hurting is offroading